Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

A Sad Tale

What happens when you shortcut your own camping rules??
Rule #1. Always check ahead for campground availability
Rule #2 Always have 10 to 15 gallons of fresh water on board

DW and I decided to take a last minute trip to Grand Teton NP.
Unseasonably warm fall weather so we thought let's see if we can shoot some fall colors and take a last camping trip before winterizing. Mind you the TT was already drained and ready to winterize. So, we pack up and head out for the 5 hr. drive to Teton.
I was sure the park campgrounds were open until the end of the month.
They were closed for the season! Seems they close in "early October".
So, usually no problem. Just find a dirt road and a flat spot and dry camp. Except we were running dry. No on-board water.
This is what I call a "Double Dumb *****"
Two simple rules, Check ahead and carry some water.
Result: Had to find a private RV park for the night and start over the next day.
Anyone else have a similar "word to the wise" story they'd care to share??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_9891.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	523.6 KB
ID:	91607  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #2

Check your hitch area to be sure you did not leave the tool to help assist with the WDH bars prior to leaving the campground.

Your photograph is beautiful!! Looks like the trip was worth your while anyway!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
Always Learning

For me, my rule is- always carry water even when in a full-hookup RV park. I've been places enough times where they lost water unexpectedly.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Hmm.. Where do I start..

Do not forget to remove the gray tote from under the trailer (where I keep it when parked at home) before pulling out of the driveway....

Do not forget to remove the x-chock from the wheel before moving forward a but when hooking up.

Do not forget to remove the trailers wheel after using it to lift the trailer to hook up the WDH... And when you pull away and here a God awful grinding and scraping, STOP!

LOL.. Oh I could go on and on....

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #5

Not dumb, just something I learned this past trip (last week). We pulled into a site at our local campground and the site was a little small length wise for the truck and camper. Once the camper was positioned had a heck of job getting the hitch stabilization bars off since the truck and camper were not straight. Lesson learned. Once at the campground remove the stabilization bars from the hitch before driving to the site. You really don't need them since you will be driving slow, and removing them actually gives you more maneuverability if needed. After almost 30 years of towing campers of various size, I learned something new.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #6

After locating the water supply, do not say, "yup, right where I thought it would be", and then proceed to drive to campsite without actually filling up.
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
After locating the water supply, do not say, "yup, right where I thought it would be", and then proceed to drive to campsite without actually filling up.
That's a good one! So excited to get set up forgot what we stopped for.
These types of faux pas only bring out the "human" in humanity. Love to hear about all the DOOH!! moments, Keep 'em coming
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_5119.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	91878  
Old 10-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Hmm.. Where do I start..

Do not forget to remove the gray tote from under the trailer (where I keep it when parked at home) before pulling out of the driveway....

Do not forget to remove the x-chock from the wheel before moving forward a but when hooking up.

Do not forget to remove the trailers wheel after using it to lift the trailer to hook up the WDH... And when you pull away and here a God awful grinding and scraping, STOP!

LOL.. Oh I could go on and on....

I've forgot them xchocks a few times. Usually just spit them right out of the wheels and I never know.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
I've forgot them xchocks a few times. Usually just spit them right out of the wheels and I never know.
If you put the x chocks in tight enough like I do my Bal X chocks, you cannot even move the trailer. You must leave yours loose.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If you put the x chocks in tight enough like I do my Bal X chocks, you cannot even move the trailer. You must leave yours loose.
Yep, there's no way I can move my 5er with the BAL X-Chocks in place let alone spit them out.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #11
bigdaddy1

Once I started to pull away after unhooking from the fifth-wheel hitch and failed to pull the plug from wall of the truck. I stop moving when my wife screamed just before pulling the power cord out of the junction box at the pin box.

2019 3350RLX
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #12

Took my rig to the dealers for service. Went back 3 days later to pick it up and for some reason, before I fired it up I decided to do a walk around to make sure that they hadn't damaged anything during the stay. 50 Amp cord was plugged in, compartments we still open. In short, I narrowly avoided ripping the cord and who knows what else out of the RV. Lesson, always do a walk around before pulling out from anywhere.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #13

I started to pull my enclosed car hauler out with the entension cord still plugged into it. It became 1.5 feet shorter and needed a new end.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

A lot of times when I put the rig away its from pulling it somewhere. I'm assuming the wheels heat up and expand a little. I do notice after the wheels cool off the chocks are loose and sometimes I forget to go snug them up again. I also don't go crazy right cause I think in my mind I'm torquing on the axles too much.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #15

When I swapped-out the China Bombs for Maxxis I was distracted by a chatty neighbor & forgot to hand-check the last wheel... I also failed to check at the recommended 10 miles out because the CG was only 30 miles away... When I turned into the CG, one TT wheel was wobbling badly. Only 2 (loose) lug nuts were still holding the rim on & 3/6 bolts had sheered! Yikes! Good Sams sent a local mobile trailer tech & $100 later I had new lug bolts/nuts & a spare set for the future. I found new aluminum rims online, exact match, for $65. Could have been a disaster but for <$200 I now follow a checklist before we leave the driveway & 1 son's job is to remind me to check the lug nuts on TV & TT...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #16

I have forgotten to put the hand rail in and steps and when I pulled out of my carport have damaged the steps and wall at doorway. Ouch!

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ah, the "duh" and "dop" moments!

-We park our trailer about 8 miles from our house. I've thought about filling up the truck just before getting her and then brought her home and we loaded it and then when pulling out noticing the truck is on empty! DOP!

-Driven all the way to the lot and forgotten the keys to the trailer. (And before I left the hitch on the truck all summer have forgotten that, too.)

-Had a near-miss this year...was assigned spot #53 at a state park. For some reason, I pulled right into spot #52 and was jumping out to set up when my wife asked me if we were 52 or 53....phew, close one! (That would've sucked setting all up and then having someone come and telling me I was in the wrong spot!)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #18

These are all Great! reminders. Best habit is a checklist of course.
Now where did I put that darned list???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_5615.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	92084