Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
AAAgggg stolen RV battery

We keep our unit in the old campground where we live. Has cameras and such.

Today my husband went to our RV in the BT campground and someone had once again stole the battery from our RV. They cut the cables from the battery and from the electric jack. They also tried to steal our propane gas tanks... they were loose but not taken.

This is the second time this has happened!

We usually take the battery home after each trip, but this time we were in between trips and doing work on the camper.

Anyone have ideas on how to lock the propane tanks and lock up the battery? This is beyond annoying! I would love to catch the scumbag in the act! I could show them some of my precious metals.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
We keep our unit in the old campground where we live. Has cameras and such.

Today my husband went to our RV in the BT campground and someone had once again stole the battery from our RV. They cut the cables from the battery and from the electric jack. They also tried to steal our propane gas tanks... they were loose but not taken.

This is the second time this has happened!

We usually take the battery home after each trip, but this time we were in between trips and doing work on the camper.

Anyone have ideas on how to lock the propane tanks and lock up the battery? This is beyond annoying! I would love to catch the scumbag in the act! I could show them some of my precious metals.
I simply bolted a piece of heavy chain to the frame under the battery box and this then is padlocked over the top of the box. I used a flat head bolt and jammed two nuts together so that anyone attempting to back out the nut will spin the bolt head inside the secured box.

Cheap and fast security. Anyone with bolt cutters could cut the chain but the same could be said for most security products.
1201alarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
1201alarm... they cut the battery cables... so I am sure a chain wouldn't be much better.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
1201alarm... they cut the battery cables... so I am sure a chain wouldn't be much better.

copper cables cut easy...hardened chain is a bit tougher.

But... you're probably right.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #5

Locking cable such as a 6 foot, 5/16 python from Amazon or box stores will secure tanks to frame. Same for battery box. 5/16 will slow down bolt cutters, but it the thief wants it bad enough he will probably get it. Even though I store my rig on my extended drive, am looking at wireless camera that has a looping storage device in it.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #6

Since having had my entire TT stolen while it was at a major RV dealer for repairs, I am a firm believer that pretty much any theft deterrent device you can put in place will hopefully, probably, maybe make the thief/thieves move on to easier prey. It is despicable that you have been victimized more than once. What a nuisance, inconvenience and expensive problem. Try some of the suggestions others made and see if it stops your problem. Good luck and know I feel your pain.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #7

A lot of the newer propane mounting brackets have a hole in the top for a padlock which prevents someone from unscrewing the big wingnut. They also sell lockable mounting battery brackets for just this reason. I'd be more upset at the CG for allowing people to roam unquestioned.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:57 AM   #8

Put a chain on the battery box & the tanks if its to much work they will most likely leave & move on to some other one that is not locked.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:22 AM   #9

This is "Very Common" to steal 2 Batteries from the Same "Target" the Thieves know/hope you replace the Battery with a "NEW" one,so they Return and also Steal the New one! Try/use the above mentioned tips to Slow them down,but you Can't Stop a Thief! Youroo!!
Old 07-12-2017, 04:33 AM   #10

Leave the box empty but throw a chain and lock on it. Just ferry your battery back and forth with you for a while.

If nothing happens to your chain, they might have moved on to a different campground.

If they cut the chain off, replace it and try again, still with an empty box.

If they are raiding your campground on a regular basis, they will get to know your camper is not worth the trouble as it has nothing under that chain. Chain is a lot cheaper (and easier) than replacing a battery.

But even if they stop cutting your chain, it doesn't mean it's safe to leave your battery. They may just cut it one day on spec and if your battery is in the box, well........

You're pretty much trying to do "classical conditioning" psychology on them. Ring the bell and the dog drools.

Sucks to have to resort to pita things like this, but criminals are everywhere and never make anything easy..

Or skip the chain hassle and just ferry your battery back and forth each time since your park has proven itself to be an easy target. The only other option is to find a better campground or ferry the whole trailer back and forth.

Problem is: if a thief wants it, as soon as it's vulnerable they're going to get it....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:33 AM   #11

Sounds like its time to find a new campground that has better clientele and security.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:47 AM   #12

Location upgrade is No Guarantee either,ask Yourself if you want to Steal something of "Value$$$" are you going to the "Poor or Rich side of Town"? Youroo!!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #13

The devil in me says to get a couple of bad batteries from your dealer and let them steal those!
Sanibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanibel View Post
The devil in me says to get a couple of bad batteries from your dealer and let them steal those!
Salvage price of a bad battery would make that prohibitive.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #15

https://www.amazon.com/Fixget-Portab...=motion+camera

something like this motion camera. Then you can stop the thief who may be doing the same to other campers.
Then post the picture on the local news and web sites, and the office of the park.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #16
I Break Everything

Sounds like somebody that knows you. Maybe not that well, but they know you well enough to know when you're gone. Not much you can do if they 100% know you're not coming back.

Chains might be a deterrent. But if new chains, or other protective devices appear it will probably just make it more inviting to the same thief.

Have you talked to other campers in the area/park?

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #17
code.org

Battery lock down

Found this on Amazon and am considering it. I think it also needs some good locks to keep those from being easily cut off.

https://www.amazon.com/Batteryshackl...v+battery+lock
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #18

What ever you do will only keep the honest people honest. Theifs will do anything if they want it . With the new portable grinders they can get into about anything.
2013 HARLEY TRI-GLIDE
danny4127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #19

That really stinks!

You might consider putting your battery in the back of your TT. The down side to this is they are heavy (I use 2 golf cart batteries) or the thief might be watching & break into you TT instead.

I wish you could just.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #20

This will not help you or your RV. The problem is the lack of real consequences for actions as such. The jails are overcrowded, dope is rampant and police are overworked, underpaid and understaffed. Make real consequences for both and eliminate more of the problems.

We had a shoplifter in my old life. Stole a felony amount of stuff. Called police had arrested and back out the next day. She was an alley traveler we saw before and after. The next day? Seriously?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery