Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #1

advice about T.V. reception

We were at a campground in Ohio a few weeks ago. We wanted to see how our t.v. reception worked during NFL preseason as a test for the real season. We were camping almost at the edge of this town and we did have good cell phone use, but no channels at all. Our t.v. is a new digital flat screen and were using a "direct t.v." antenna. In two weeks, the first week end of the season we will be in Myrtle Beach and the tv and antenna are just for camping and football season. any advice other than stay home to watch the game, which isn't an option?
dixons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Was the antenna booster on?
did you swivel antenna in different directions for better reception?
Not sure what a direct tv antenna is? Do you mean the roof top one?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #3

There is no antenna booster on this. It is a digital antenna and it is made by direct tv. We did move the receiver around a bit but no channels came in. We tried it at home and it worked great.
dixons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:00 AM   #4

If you are talking about DIRECTV the satellite service provider then you must be a subscriber and have their receiver to get TV. If this is what you have then call them for troubleshooting.

If you purchased some “direct T.V.” antenna claiming to get free satellite reception using their antenna, then you’ve been scammed.

If all you want is to receive the free over-the-air local television stations then the antenna on your trailer is all you need. In that case, raise your antenna, turn the power booster on, turn on the TV, using the TV’s menu system scan for available channels. You should have no trouble getting over-the-air TV in Myrtle Beach.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
Lottery Non-Winner

Can you take a picture of your antenna and post it here? There seems to be some confusion about what kind of antenna you actually have. At this time, there are too many variables to be sure what you need to do. But...
You said it worked at home, but not in the camper. That tells me it is not the antenna that is mounted to your camper (which has a booster). You used the term "direct tv" which sounds like it's a satellite dish. If you are using a satellite dish with receiver, you will need to hook it up to your camper using the satellite input on the drivers side of the camper (not usually the same connection as the campground cable input), turn off the camper's booster, and depending on how things are wired, you may have to change the input on the TV itself.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #6

If it is a DirectTV satellite dish system then follow the above directions. If it is a TV and you are talking about the roof mounted anntenna, the power boster is next to the electric plug in on the camper. Not always can you get TV over the regular antenna. Here in Florida at many of the state park campgrounds even those close to towns you get nothing or only 1 or 3 stations and most of them are in spanish or chruch stations.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Let's try this again. The Rockwood Hard Side (A-Frame) does not have an antenna according to the literature (cable ready only) so we are talking about a straight dish setup. Will one of you who is more conversant than I with such things please explain the setup, including aiming the dish, for dixons?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #8

when u set it up at home, how did u do it. i'm trying to figure if u had a dish antenna that u were receiving on or another antenna.
if it is not the dish, u will have to rotate your receiving antenna abt 45 deg at a time and rescanning. then zeroing in. a signal meter is a big help. my converter (analogue to digital for older sets) have that feature. i use it on my new set to set it up. then i turn it off and rescan the tv. some tv's have this built in as well. it isn't a fun process.
my first question "how did u do it at home" will give me an idea of what u have.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm not so sure he isn't talking about an over the air antenna that I have seen mounted to direct tvs actual dish. Its a horse shoe looking thing for local channels that you mount to the dish.
Which brings up a new thing. Is his tv old enough that it needs a converter box to receive signal?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #10

Another thing, if your camping among trees with alot of leaves, the will knock down a digital t. v. signal. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I'm not so sure he isn't talking about an over the air antenna that I have seen mounted to direct tvs actual dish. Its a horse shoe looking thing for local channels that you mount to the dish.
Which brings up a new thing. Is his tv old enough that it needs a converter box to receive signal?
i'm thinking the same thing. i'm really not clear on it.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
i'm thinking the same thing. i'm really not clear on it.
would be nice to have some pics and more answers from the op
Old 08-30-2011, 08:51 PM   #13

If you have a rock wood A Frame camper . A few things.

The cable hookup is for cable coax or a digital television antenna.

It will not work with a satellite dish without a converter box inside the camper before you hook to the television.

Also, a regular non-digital television antenna (analog) will not work as nothing is broadcast in analog anymore and your flat screen will not tune it.

Make sure the flat screen in the camper has the right source selected (because it probably has more sources) If the wrong source is selected on the television, you won't get anything.

Have you verified the televisio works and can receive signals?

Work the problem backwards and eliminate possible problems as you go.

Lastly, I can't remember if the cable from the outside of the a frame to the inside connector is one piece of coaxial cable or if it's spliced at some point... It might be prudent trying to check that out too, once you've confirmed that the antenna works directly connected to the tv with a separate piece of coaxial cable.

Again, if it is a direct tv satellite dish you are connecting, I don't think that's going to work without the accompanying box and probably a subscription and some help pointing that dish I the right direction.
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #14

Is this the antenna?
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna .jpg
Views:	119
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	7742

I think its this but hey what do I know !
Old 08-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
Make sure the flat screen in the camper has the right source selected (because it probably has more sources) If the wrong source is selected on the television, you won't get anything.
ie ur source selection may have changed when u unplugged it.

if u were working before u left, it should still work if there is a station in range. When it comes to aiming the antenna, Digital TV isn't as forgiving as analogue.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You keep saying (He) I think it is (She). Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 AM   #18

I don't think they have been back to this thread to get the answers or to answer the questions we asked.