Old 06-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
Wayne & Kim
Advice to stop mice

I recently posted a thread about snakes being effective at getting rid of mice in the RV, for better or worse. I would like to get some real feedback from my fellow FROGs regarding the best way to keep mice out of your rig (which of course would decrease likelihood of a snake showing up!). We were lucky that they only showed up in the storage area (as far as I know); the closest they came to the main unit was a drawer above the air return, which was right by the storage area. I have not seen any evidence elsewhere inside, and we spent 10 days in the unit after discovering the rodent (and think the snake ran them off).

I have put down traps, and some bagged repellent. I also have sprinkled snake repellant (more or less granulated mothballs) inside and around the unit; maybe the bag of that with picture of snake on it will help! I read on the forum about spraying mint around with mixed results.

They may have entered the cargo area by way of opening where the Level Up hydraulic jacks are located, so I can't seal that area off. I didn't see much else in way of opening, but also know they don't need much anyhow.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Wayne and Kim

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Thats a bummer for sure. I'm glad we haven't run into that problem. I live out in the country in the woods, and there are a lot of critters for sure. Either we've been lucky, or our big black cat (the big H ) is keeping us covered. Big H loves to hunt, and he's 12 years old. Good luck.

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3025W (REMEDY)
2014 Dodge 2500 6.7 CTD, 6 Burnin 4 Turnin
Full-timers since 12 AUG 14

Jammer3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
I haven't had any problems with mice in the camper so far but I had a LOT of trouble with mice in my house a few years ago. Didn't want to use D-Con because I have a dog. And the mice ignored the traps. I found out my dog is a great mouser but she couldn't keep up. I ran across a mouse repellant called Mouse Magic & decided to give it a try. It's made of ground corn cobs soaked in spearmint & peppermint oil. You can buy it in packets (sort of like large teabags) or in a 3-pound jug. I put some around in places where I thought the mice were coming in. And in no time, all the mice disappeared & they haven't been back since. It's non-toxic & smells good.
Ann ("Older than springtime, younger than dirt.")
Molly, my rescued cockapoo, who loves camping
2013 Rockwood Roo 21SS
2003 Dodge Durango SXT w/full towing package
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
Ok, this is my personal observation: mice don't like gravel, but that's not a guarantee.
Mice can not climb smooth vertical surfaces. If you place the trailer jacks in 5 gallon pails and park the trailer on smooth concrete or even plywood, build a box maybe 8" tall box out of something like aluminum flashing around the wheels and make sure it hugs the ground all the way around. Also when a water hose or power cord is attached, get something like a lid from an icecream pail cut a round hole in the center just slightly smaller than the hose or cable and slide that over about a foot above ground. Don't lean anything against the trailer that mice can climb up on.
It's probably not the most convenient way to deter mice but it will work. Golden rue is smooth and vertical.

2013 RAM 3500 Dually Longhorn
2014 Trilogy 3650RL, W/D, Onan 5500, 8000# Axles, IS, 960 Watt Solar, 6x6 Volt Battery Bank, Freedom SW 3012 Inv/Charger
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:46 AM   #5
Question Mice.

Took the rig out of storage this spring. The back-up camera didnt work. Took to shop, they found the camera wires chewed in two. The chew was about eight inches from the camera in the back wall at top end.
martin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:12 AM   #6
Just a member
Originally Posted by Wswkmw View Post
I have put down traps, and some bagged repellent.
Provided there's no allergy issues, put some peanut butter in the traps. We've yet to meet a mouse that didn't like peanut butter. They can smell it from the opposite end of a 40 ft RV.
Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:47 AM   #7
For winter storage I put dryer sheets in every compartment, they hate the smell.
I have done this w an antique car I store also.

2015-26days, 2014-32days,
2013-33days, 2012-30days
brownie289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #8
Originally Posted by brownie289 View Post
For winter storage I put dryer sheets in every compartment, they hate the smell.
I have done this w an antique car I store also.
X2 never had a issue either
2007.5 Chevy 3500Ltz cc lb Duramax
2010 Sandpiper 345 RET (SOLD)
hrlyguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
We use to use moth balls at camp years ago and never found a mouse there. The moth balls do leave a nasty odor until you can air the trailer out though.
Think about things before you do them make life easier not harder.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
Old Fella
Drier sheets worked for us.

Aussiecat is offline   Reply With Quote