Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 06:46 AM   #1

allergic reaction

The DW has started having rashes when we go down to the TT, a 2012 Surveyor, 30' bunk house. We have it at a fishing/beach spot in FL and go down most weekends. I put some Fresh Cab out several weeks ago, so not sure if it's the peppermint smell or what. DW says it smells like animal pee inside. I wish I could put a dehumidifier in it and keep it running all the time, but I would need a drain to the outside for the water. Any ideas to what is causing rash? Any ideas to keep DW comfy? Thanks in advance.
redbelly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:00 AM   #2

Why not put the dehumidifier in the shower and let it drain in there? I was allergic to saw dust as a kid and out grew it, sucked cause my dad was in construction but didnt stop me. Is it when she is in the trailer or when u get there?
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #3

Check for water intrusion. Mold can cause serious health issues.
My dehumidifier sits in shower as suggested.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #4

Good idea, I have an island sink in the middle. Would it be too high to put dehumidifier drain to that? I'll probably stick w/ putting it in the shower and let it do it's job. Thanks,
Old 02-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #5

What model of dehumidifier works best for you to put in the shower?
Old 02-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #6

You can put it up on a small stand and let gravity feed into shower. Get 1 with a rear drain at the lowest point. Otherwise i drilled and tapped mine
Old 02-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #7

Maybe bring some items from the RV(keeping outside) and "test dummy" the DW for exposure. It would be a hard sell for my DW to go back if she got sick. Any kids? The health risk associated would scare me.

Maybe it's something stupid and not mold. Doesn't UV or some kind of light show mold?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #8

I think I will get a black light and see if there are any urine stains from mice. I'm not sure if the light will show up mold though. Maybe someone else can shed some light on that.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbelly7 View Post
I think I will get a black light and see if there are any urine stains from mice. I'm not sure if the light will show up mold though. Maybe someone else can shed some light on that.
U can get a air test kit and send it out. Think home depot and lowes sells it
Old 02-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #10

Allergic reactions take detective work. Does she use different soap, shampoo, detergent, cleaning products etc. when at the trailer? What about diet - same type of food eaten on a regular basis or different, such as sea food? Does she take any medications when there that she does not take at home on a regular basis? How long after she arrives do her symptoms start? Does she have them start outside or do they only occur once she has been inside? These are just a few of the things to consider when trying to figure out what she is reacting to. Have her see her primary care provider or allergist to have it figured out before she ends up with an anaphylactic reaction. I am not giving medical advice here - she needs to see her provider.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
........... Have her see her primary care provider or allergist to have it figured out before she ends up with an anaphylactic reaction. I am not giving medical advice here - she needs to see her provider.
AGREED!!!

This is by far the best advise given so far. Seek medical care ASAP before it's too late.

January 10, 2018, I had an anaphylactic reaction to an antibiotic. It comes on quick and can kill you. I took my first dose at 5:22pm, 5:30pm my hands and feet were on fire, body and face were swelling and my chest was constricting. I was having trouble breathing and my wife rushed me to a fire station near our home. At 5:43, laying on the firehouse floor, I was given an Epi shot to counter the reaction. In all this panic, breathing hard and sweating profusely, my heart rate had dropped to 45 beats per minute and my oxygen level was around 75%. Thankfully, I ended up ok; however, it lead to a serious heart issue (A-flutter) that required a corrective procedure. It's been a helluva month but I am better now...still scared to death that I could have left my wife and kids in an instant.

Point is, allergic reactions are nothing to beat around the bush with. GET YOUR WIFE INTO THE DOCTOR instead of buying black lights and dehumidifiers. The doctor should be able to help pinpoint what needs to be corrected. Her life isn't worth the gamble.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

Testing for allergies can get very expensive and time consuming. It took 2 years for my doctor to narrow my skin allergy down to triple antibiotic ointment after I had been using it for years. I got burned by a drop of molten stainless steel that I was cutting. The burn had healed down to a small scab that got torn off by my clothing and I bandaged it using triple antibiotic ointment. Three days later my arm from the elbow to wrist was blistered and red. Over the following month I had itching, oozing blisters all over my body and couldn't work for 2 months until the blisters quit oozing. Then the testing started.

Now whenever I get a cut or scrape I have to use honey as an antibiotic. Don't laugh, it works.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
AGREED!!!

This is by far the best advise given so far. Seek medical care ASAP before it's too late.

January 10, 2018, I had an anaphylactic reaction to an antibiotic. It comes on quick and can kill you. I took my first dose at 5:22pm, 5:30pm my hands and feet were on fire, body and face were swelling and my chest was constricting. I was having trouble breathing and my wife rushed me to a fire station near our home. At 5:43, laying on the firehouse floor, I was given an Epi shot to counter the reaction. In all this panic, breathing hard and sweating profusely, my heart rate had dropped to 45 beats per minute and my oxygen level was around 75%. Thankfully, I ended up ok; however, it lead to a serious heart issue (A-flutter) that required a corrective procedure. It's been a helluva month but I am better now...still scared to death that I could have left my wife and kids in an instant.

Point is, allergic reactions are nothing to beat around the bush with. GET YOUR WIFE INTO THE DOCTOR instead of buying black lights and dehumidifiers. The doctor should be able to help pinpoint what needs to be corrected. Her life isn't worth the gamble.
X2
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbelly7 View Post
The DW has started having rashes when we go down to the TT, a 2012 Surveyor, 30' bunk house. We have it at a fishing/beach spot in FL and go down most weekends. I put some Fresh Cab out several weeks ago, so not sure if it's the peppermint smell or what. DW says it smells like animal pee inside. I wish I could put a dehumidifier in it and keep it running all the time, but I would need a drain to the outside for the water. Any ideas to what is causing rash? Any ideas to keep DW comfy? Thanks in advance.
Is this a saltwater site. We have "red tide" on the west coast.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #15

Thanks for all the replies! She has been to the dermatologist, he said could be anything down there from marsh plants to something in the camper. It is saltwater site, but don't think it's red tide. It only affects her from chest up w/ hives or rash. I feel it is mold, so going to start w/ that, then do a air test there and possibly compare an air test from home? You guys have been great. I told the DW how many people were concerned about her.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #16

Go to an allergist, not a dermatologist. The allergist will do proper testing to isolate what it is, not just a "could be anything". They put drops on your arm, containing different allergens, and then scratch the skin. They monitor to see what reacts.

I was tested as allergic to household molds. It's great when I go to buy a house, I can tell in minutes if there is a mold problem. The rest of the time, it sucks.

2017 - 16 nights
2018 - 31 nights
2019 - 0 So far
BigWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #17

Thanks, she is going to an allergen this coming Friday. I had the dehumidifier in one day prior to DW getting there and she did much better this weekend. Will see how it is next weekend after an entire week w/ dehumidifier going. Will keep everyone posted and thanks for all the help!
Old 02-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #18

Not sure what kind or materials your rig is made with but the glue and adhesives that are used in many rigs can be irritating . The bed base in our rig was made with OSB and the glue made it smell moldy ( although it wasn’t ) and after my husband took it out and put a more expensive wood that is made with a non VOC wood ( I can’t remember but I think it said something like organic ) we both noticed no more coughing, and the smell was totally gone.
Katydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #19

Well, after immune test, she is allergic to just about everything. I think it's the dollar grass in FL that really gets her, but w/ the pollen so bad right now, she is broke out now at home. She will start some immune shots to help out soon, along w/ singular and Zyrtec