Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

Alternatives to Laundromats

I don't want to have a washer and dryer in my RV, I have heard they are a lot of hassle. But, since I don't tow a car, laundry is an ORDEAL for me. If I'm just "on the road" and need to do laundry, I try to find an RV park with laundry, then when I don't need laundry, boondock, or go low end cheapie on RV parks. On the other hand, if I am camp hosting in a place without laundry, once a week I have to pack up the RV and go do laundry.

One of my friend's has been researching some alternatives for me. We have come up with the following:

Two videos on the Breathing Mobile Washer

Here is something called the WONDER WASH:

Or, here is a NON-ELECTRIC washing machine:

Or, we can go to a reinvention of the old fashioned scrub board....

The Scrubba Wash Bag

I'm thinking of getting either the Wonder Wash or the Non Electric Washing Machine. But, on the other hand, I do have a very deep (but small) bathtub in my RV. The Breathing Mobile Washer would work, but I don't have anything to wring things dry. I do carry a drying rack.

Anyone tried any of these?

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #2

http://www.sepgo.com/203-panda-twin-...6kg-79lbs.html

Have a look at this one. Scroll down the page for a video.I got one and it works great! Mine is the slightly larger 11 pound capacity blue one, currently out of stock. They also have mini dryers and other smaller wash alternatives.
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
MI Camperz

Great post! I like the ones that have a spin cycle, but they are electric, if that's a concern. Let us know what you do and how your choice works out.
Might consider this myself.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Love My Sunseeker

My anti virus program blocked it, wouldn't let me go there. I'll try googling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
SEP GO ONLINE - Panda Twin Tub Washer (3.6kg/7.9lbs)Compact Washer Spinner Combo

Have a look at this one. Scroll down the page for a video.I got one and it works great! Mine is the slightly larger 11 pound capacity blue one, currently out of stock. They also have mini dryers and other smaller wash alternatives.
I read the reviews of wonder wash, and the one voted "best critical" (they have best good and best critical) said they liked it, but there were some royal PITA things about it. The PITA things were what made me think I'd be in the same boat but more financially ahead with the thing that looks like a toilet plunger for $19.99.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Great post! I like the ones that have a spin cycle, but they are electric, if that's a concern. Let us know what you do and how your choice works out.
Might consider this myself.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
MI Camperz

Here's a washer/dryer combo in one. AT just over $500.00, I think it is reasonable and space-saving. Think I'll get it and put it in my shed (seasonal).

http://www.compactappliance.com/Haie..._Washer_Dryers.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Love My Sunseeker

Looks too big to go in my RV! I'd have room if I didn't have the computer desk, but I'm LOVING the computer desk in my Sunseeker 3170.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #7

JJ, if you have enough room in your Class C motorhome, get a washer\dryer combo. It's not a hassle and well worth the investment. You can do a load early in the morning and be done with it later in the day. You then do wash on your schedule, not amend your schedule to do your wash.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Love My Sunseeker

I ordered the one that looks like a toilet plunger. But it's hard plastic, so it is NOT to be used as a toilet plunger. My Sunseeker 3170 has a very deep (but small) bathtub, so I think the "looks like a toilet plunger" thingie will work very well in it. I bought two large chamois cloths that I am going to use for wringing things out. I'll post a report when I use it.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
MI Camperz

Wouldn't it be great to find a portable ringer? That seems like the hard part.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Wouldn't it be great to find a portable ringer? That seems like the hard part.
There is one on Amazon.com, I almost got it....
http://www.amazon.com/GetPreparedStu...rtable+wringer

I ordered and just got the thing that looks like a toilet plunger, the Breathable Moving Washer. Got it from Amazon.com. Only thing is, I want to know, what is the difference between:

the one for $19.97 http://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Washer-M...=Manual+Washer

and the one for $14.95 http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Washer-...=Manual+Washer

(other than different companies?).

I bought the one for $19.97.

Today my cat threw up on a towel, and I had a hat that needed washing. Plus, I had a couple of "rag" washcloths (Costco specials I bought for things like wiping the floor, cleaning up the cat, etc....) that I could throw in there.

I used my bathtub. You definitely need 4-6 inches of water or the washer doesn't agitate all that well. If I had been using a bucket, still need 4-6 inches, but it wouldn't be as much water, as the bathtub is "spread out" water. But, the bathtub gave me more room, in my opinion, but this is personal choice.

It's a lot of work to bounce that "toilet plunger" up and down. The directions say two minutes is all you need. I think overall I did four minutes, but it wasn't continuous........

Now, for the cap and the two washcloths, I just held them under the faucet to "rinse" (I used cold water, as my hot water had run out by then....), then wrung them out by hand.

Now, as for the issue brought up by someone on another RV forum:
Quote:
I'm curious. Not that I have any intention of washing cloths with a stick. But, You Tube shows a guy washing one T-shirt in a two part sink in some soap, then rinses it in clean water in the other sink. How's you gonna achieve this in a bath tub. Seems like a big waste in water if you're going to wash, then drain and fill with clean water to rinse.

Ok, that was going to be a problem for the big towel. I drained the bathtub, then got out my small rubbermaid tub that I use in the kitchen sink, put the towel in there, ran more cold water, swished it around, then did a manual hand wring. But, on a big towel, a manual hand wring isn't quite enough. I had purchased two LARGE chamois cloths, (meant for drying cars....) put the towel between the two chamois, rolled it, and got most of the water out!

Now, did the items get clean?

The two "rag washcloths" were kind of stained already. They got as clean as they were going to get.

My cap looks clean!

And, the towel is clean, I don't see any signs of "kitty barf."

If you need to wash a few items at a time, it works.....

Old 07-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #11

RVtravel, Chuck Woodbury shows on YouTube, A simple way to do laundry on the RV road. Check it out. A simple way to do laundry on the RV road - YouTube

Kim & Randy Holmes
2016 F350 Turbo Diesel FX4
2014 Palomino Sabre 33 CKTS
(2012: 10); (2013: 17); (2014: 33); (2015: 43);
(2016: 37); (2017: 69); (2018: 90); (2019: 109); (2020: 110)
kholmes is offline   Reply With Quote