Old 08-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Me either. Gotta remember 3 things:

1) They don't use pilot lights, they're on demand. So they're actually only flaming while cooling. Can't be any more than 1/3 of the time and probably much, much less. The chances of having a flame on at the time of fueling is not as big as most people think.

2) It's covered, contained, and well off the ground. It's gonna take a lot of gas vapors to reach that flame.

3) What's the distance between the fridge and your gas tank? In my case, it's like 30'. My fridge is often no where near the actual pumps.
Agreed.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #12

Well do far so good. We have been on the road from Florida for two days and my beer is still cold in the fridge that has been running on propane as we are driving. Visiting family in Raleigh, then off to Jersey for other family visit over Labor Day. After that we are going all the way up to Maine and anticipate 5-6 week trip. Thanks for the replies and advice

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
mrmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #13

Just spent 33 days this summer, travelling with the fridge off approx 8 -10 hrs per day. I turned on the gas to power the fridge at night. Moved my 4 little ice packs to the fridge while travelling and refroze them at night. My fridge was always still cold at the end of the day and the ice trays in the freezer were still cubes.
Never had a problem with spoiled food.
Just sayin'

http://rhodaventure.com/

2013 Sunseeker 3010DS
2014 - 15,000 Kilometers (9360 Miles) Alberta through the US to E. coast, up into Atlantic Canada, Newfoundland and back.
2015 - 2 great trips so far. Alberta to Oregon coast, Alberta to Shushwap in BC.
Puzzlme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmichael View Post
Well do far so good. We have been on the road from Florida for two days and my beer is still cold in the fridge that has been running on propane as we are driving. Visiting family in Raleigh, then off to Jersey for other family visit over Labor Day. After that we are going all the way up to Maine and anticipate 5-6 week trip. Thanks for the replies and advice
Glad to hear it worked out. Plus, there is that feeling you get when you have been a rebel!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #15

Yep a month or more later it has not been shut off. I just leave it on automatic setting and if we are not plugged in at a campground it has been running on propane (although I usually turned off fridge at gas stops)

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
mrmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:37 PM   #16

X2
Old 10-06-2014, 12:53 AM   #17

X3 - we have been on the road since Sept. 1 & have kept the fridge an automatic the whole time & not had any issues - except when my beloved spouse thought it would be a good idea to shut the propane off while driving.

And we forgot to turn it back on.

Yeah, we just leave it in now.

Traveling 9/1/2014 - 11/1/2014
2015 Vibe 6504 ē 2005 BMW X5
http://instagram.com/bohemians_in_exile
Old 10-06-2014, 01:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I dont.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Me either! The mix has to be better than 20:1, gas to air, fuel vapors are heavier than air and you will not get vapor high enough to ignite from the fridge.
I am old enough to remember people actually fueling your tank and washing your windshield. Quite often they had cigarettes going and for safety they did not hold them in the same hand they held the nozzle! Not good practice, safety hazard of cigarettes was proven and declared to be low in 1963/1964 long before removal of lead from gas which mostly reduced IQ from city kids, or those living near heavily traveled thoroughfares. You would think by now that problem would have been flushed through the system. Maybe it is just residual in certain segments, politicians? (your party not mine!)
Check out the eclipse this week, a good excuse to get up early and watch what Nature gives freely. If it is cloudy, get up anyway, the birds will, you might find something unusual
or someone unusual may find you, had that happen when stargazing in the early hours.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #19

We are newbies and didn't realize that we needed to think about how the fridge would work. Our fridge is A/C only (thus the reasonable price). My husband is contemplating the inverter and second battery. It's a pretty small fridge. Any thoughts?
Old 11-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #20

AC fridges run alot. With two batteries you should make it 16-32 hours. You do not want them to run flat or they won't last.

Make sure you can charge both fully when you get to full hookups.I use a Prowatt 1000 watt inverter.
It would handle the start surge from the fridge. Good luck.

2014 3025 Windjammer/260watts solar
Grn_Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter