Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2014, 05:34 AM   #1

Another Inverter question

Hi everyone. Relatively new Rv'er here but many years of car and tent camping. We recently bought our 2109s (and loving it). I had thoughts of adding an inverter, mostly just to be able to run the fridge while driving. Have done and will be doing some long travel days and usually have a well stocked fridge and freezer.
Camper is new and added a second size 24 deep cycle battery in parallel. I would think I could have an outlet from the inverter in or near the fridge compartment and just switch the plug that it's plugged into.
Any idea how big an inverter would be needed? Will my truck recharge the batteries while driving? Any downsides? Thanks

Michael
mrmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmichael View Post
Hi everyone. Relatively new Rv'er here but many years of car and tent camping. We recently bought our 2109s (and loving it). I had thoughts of adding an inverter, mostly just to be able to run the fridge while driving. Have done and will be doing some long travel days and usually have a well stocked fridge and freezer.
Camper is new and added a second size 24 deep cycle battery in parallel. I would think I could have an outlet from the inverter in or near the fridge compartment and just switch the plug that it's plugged into.
Any idea how big an inverter would be needed? Will my truck recharge the batteries while driving? Any downsides? Thanks

Michael
Why don't you just run it on gas like everyone else.? [emoji106]

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #3

Why not run it on propane? I would say the majority of people on this form run there fridge on propane while traveling. As far as your question, I think the fridge uses about 240W to run, that is a 20A draw at 12V, most TV's are not wired to give you 20A to your trailer. You would need to run a large gauge wire from your TV battery to the trailer connector.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #4

We have a TT and have put a couple hundred thousand miles on several models all while leaving the fridge lit on propane while driving.No problems so far!
I would use a 1000 watt inverter and the truck will most likely only trickle charge the battery so they will run down without installing some heavier charging wire back to RV...We always install one anyway & You will enjoy 110 when you are away from shore power for all the electronic toys! We have a 260 watt solar panel on the roof that helps out alot. Good luck & enjoy the new RV.

2018 8329 SS Rockwood /260watts solar
Grn_Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Not real comfortable with the thought of driving around towing an open flame but that seems to be the way to go. Of course will have to remember to turn it off when stopping for gas

Michael
Old 08-22-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Of course will have to remember to turn it off when stopping for gas

Michael
I dont. [emoji91]

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #7

Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I know I'm a rebel. [emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87]

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 AM   #9

I don't either the flame is contained inside the refer behind the panel.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Me either. Gotta remember 3 things:

1) They don't use pilot lights, they're on demand. So they're actually only flaming while cooling. Can't be any more than 1/3 of the time and probably much, much less. The chances of having a flame on at the time of fueling is not as big as most people think.

2) It's covered, contained, and well off the ground. It's gonna take a lot of gas vapors to reach that flame.

3) What's the distance between the fridge and your gas tank? In my case, it's like 30'. My fridge is often no where near the actual pumps.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Me either. Gotta remember 3 things:

1) They don't use pilot lights, they're on demand. So they're actually only flaming while cooling. Can't be any more than 1/3 of the time and probably much, much less. The chances of having a flame on at the time of fueling is not as big as most people think.

2) It's covered, contained, and well off the ground. It's gonna take a lot of gas vapors to reach that flame.

3) What's the distance between the fridge and your gas tank? In my case, it's like 30'. My fridge is often no where near the actual pumps.
Agreed.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #12

Well do far so good. We have been on the road from Florida for two days and my beer is still cold in the fridge that has been running on propane as we are driving. Visiting family in Raleigh, then off to Jersey for other family visit over Labor Day. After that we are going all the way up to Maine and anticipate 5-6 week trip. Thanks for the replies and advice

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
Old 09-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
Puzzlme

Just spent 33 days this summer, travelling with the fridge off approx 8 -10 hrs per day. I turned on the gas to power the fridge at night. Moved my 4 little ice packs to the fridge while travelling and refroze them at night. My fridge was always still cold at the end of the day and the ice trays in the freezer were still cubes.
Never had a problem with spoiled food.
Just sayin'

https://rhodaventure.com/

2013 Sunseeker 3010DS
2014 - 15,000 Kilometers (9360 Miles) Alberta through the US to E. coast, up into Atlantic Canada, Newfoundland and back.
2015 - 2 great trips so far. Alberta to Oregon coast, Alberta to Shushwap in BC.
Puzzlme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Well do far so good. We have been on the road from Florida for two days and my beer is still cold in the fridge that has been running on propane as we are driving. Visiting family in Raleigh, then off to Jersey for other family visit over Labor Day. After that we are going all the way up to Maine and anticipate 5-6 week trip. Thanks for the replies and advice
Glad to hear it worked out. Plus, there is that feeling you get when you have been a rebel!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #15

Yep a month or more later it has not been shut off. I just leave it on automatic setting and if we are not plugged in at a campground it has been running on propane (although I usually turned off fridge at gas stops)

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
Old 10-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #16

X2
gthomp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #17

X3 - we have been on the road since Sept. 1 & have kept the fridge an automatic the whole time & not had any issues - except when my beloved spouse thought it would be a good idea to shut the propane off while driving.

And we forgot to turn it back on.

Yeah, we just leave it in now.

Traveling 9/1/2014 - 11/1/2014
2015 Vibe 6504 • 2005 BMW X5
http://instagram.com/bohemians_in_exile
Exiled Bohemians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I dont. [emoji91]

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Me either! The mix has to be better than 20:1, gas to air, fuel vapors are heavier than air and you will not get vapor high enough to ignite from the fridge.
I am old enough to remember people actually fueling your tank and washing your windshield. Quite often they had cigarettes going and for safety they did not hold them in the same hand they held the nozzle! Not good practice, safety hazard of cigarettes was proven and declared to be low in 1963/1964 long before removal of lead from gas which mostly reduced IQ from city kids, or those living near heavily traveled thoroughfares. You would think by now that problem would have been flushed through the system. Maybe it is just residual in certain segments, politicians? (your party not mine!)
Check out the eclipse this week, a good excuse to get up early and watch what Nature gives freely. If it is cloudy, get up anyway, the birds will, you might find something unusual
or someone unusual may find you, had that happen when stargazing in the early hours.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #19

We are newbies and didn't realize that we needed to think about how the fridge would work. Our fridge is A/C only (thus the reasonable price). My husband is contemplating the inverter and second battery. It's a pretty small fridge. Any thoughts?
laurarice26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #20

AC fridges run alot. With two batteries you should make it 16-32 hours. You do not want them to run flat or they won't last.

Make sure you can charge both fully when you get to full hookups.I use a Prowatt 1000 watt inverter.
It would handle the start surge from the fridge. Good luck.

2018 8329 SS Rockwood /260watts solar
Grn_Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter