Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #1

ants in tt

On our last camping trip noticed we had ants in our tt. Looked like they may have been coming in around the dinette slide. Sprayed and put out ant baits so hope this solves the problem. Can ants get in the seat cushions? Every couple days there is a mess on the seat and looks like pieces of the cushion.
wv campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #2

I have always been concerned about using chemicals for ants indoors....Yes ants can and do get into cushions.... I use plain cinnamon powder for ants inside... It does something to their nervous system so they leave quickly (and it smells better then chemicals and is non poisonous to people and animals).........(for crickets I use moth balls or crystals, strong but it works most insects will leave when this is used).......

You can also put cinnamon sticks in cupboards, storage spaces almost anywhere, be careful it may leave a stain on porous surfaces..

good luck
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Try this if you can find it. Works superbly to eliminate sweet and grease ant infestations. Takes two or three days to wipe out the entire nest.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Hob

We use Terro. Available at most grocery stores and Wally World. Won't harm pets or kids.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

Smile

Go to WalMart and get Home Defence. It's a spray that can be sprayed inside and outside your home and RV. Leaves no stain and won't hurt pets. We use it on the power cord, and around the jacks and in behind the tires and on all the openings where electric cords or water hoses come inside. We use it inside and outside all doors and windows all around the house and never get aints or spiders. Home Defence by Ortho is a good thing to have in the RV and at home. Try it, you'll like it.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #6

If you want a 'non-chemical' solution that really works, try 1 tbs sugar, 1 tbs borax, add ~ 3 tbs water o so to make a syrup and let the ants have at it. They carry the stuff home and feed it to the young'uns. The entire colony will be gone in 2-3 days.

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #7

Many years ago when I bought our first camper, a popup, the previous owner told us to leave some Terro out when we weren't using it. One time I neglected to do so and when we open it up a month later we saw some ants. There was a spot in the wall which back then had a woodgrain vinyl covering and the surface looked bubbled. I pushed on the wall and it broke open and about 1,000 ants poured out! It looked like something from a horror movie and the scream which came out of DW would have been right at home in one. The buggers ate out the inside of the wall to the outside tin about 8" in diameter. Since then I always remembered to use the Terro and never had another problem.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
Hob

Terro is great ant disposer. It doesn't work over night but it is safe for pets and kids. The ants take the Terro back to their hill and it takes them all out.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #9

Thanks for the suggestions. Bought some terro today and put in the camper and also outside.
wv campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #10

You can also use 1tbl spoon sugar powder and 1tbl spoon baking soda. Work the same as sugar and borax. The solution will also work on earwigs. The solution was used by a student at a science fair.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #11

We hadn't been camping in about 3 weeks(it is just too hot) yesterday we headed out to a new campground we wanted to check out. Last night I started noticing Carpenter Ants in the camper not many but some. I know that where there is smoke there is fire. Previously I had sprayed Bayer home defense inside and outside the camper as a precaution. We live in the country and our property is all wooded and there is every kind of bug you can think of. Is Terro good for Carpenter Ants I want to take care of the problem before it gets out of control? What about using some of those Foggers when I get back home?
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote