Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
GC

Any tips to keep outside shower from freezing

We are having to stay in our Flagstaff 832IKBS until december. A little worried about the outside shower & faucet freezing since they are outside. I was thinking a light bulb, but not sure if it would get too hot or maybe removing shower head. Not sure that would still leave water in faucets.
Your thoughts on these ideas on whether they suck or do you have some other thoughts as a simple solution until I can winterize.
Thanks
Old 11-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #2

We camped in our Rockwood 8329SS (twin to Flagstaff 832IKBS) over the weekend, and Friday night it got down to 21 degrees. I left the vanity in the bath open at night to give some warmth to the pump, backside to the outside shower and water connections.

We ran a space heater in the bedroom set on 65 degrees, and set the furnace for 60. Also ran the tank heaters, and I only heard the furnace run a couple of times.
An extra blanket on the bed kept us comfy, and no plumbing issues at all.

I took out the hinge on the left side of my vanity door, and installed a regular latch.
This makes getting to the pump bypass much quicker, not sure why FR wants to screw these doors shut since you need in there to winterize.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #3

Might want to leave it on a slow drip to keep the water moving.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #4

Let the water drip.

But I believe the pipes that feed the outside shower are inside. So as long as the inside temp is above freezing you should be ok. As far as the shower hose goes you can get some pipe insulation.
Rcbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #5

Not sure how yours is set up but ours has the majority of the hose stashed behind a drawer below the hanging locker next to the vanity sink. We crack the sink doors and open the drawer a little and all is good to around mid-twenties. Haven't experienced lower temps without de-commissioning.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #6

Any tips to keep outside shower from freezing

When you winterize, just circulate some PINK through it and then don't use it for the winter. Even if you use the rest of the system the PINK will stay in that line and shower hose as long as there are no leaks. I winterized mine last year, hadn't used the shower all summer and when I winterized it again the other day, it is still full of PINK.

E Z P Z
Flydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #7

I have a fiver with hookup area in drivers basement door. I use a 100w rough duty light bulb with a plug in adapter. It heats that area up well.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #8

We winter camp and use our water system all year and to avoid any freezing of the outside shower I've used 2 methods. In our TT I cut the lines to outside shower and installed 1/4 turn valves inline. I would winterize, then turn the valves to shutoff water to the outside shower for the rest of the winter.

In the 5'r since the outside shower is in the docking station, I first winterize and then I remove the lines from the shower faucet and cap them for the winter.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #9

I just unhooked the hose to the outside shower and drained the water out. If I need it again....I will just hook the hose back up. I just used a cap on the unhooked hose.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

I just removed the entire faucet assy and capped the lines. We never used it on this camper or the previous 2 that had it.
I use the compartment to store the Dish cables.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarson View Post
We are having to stay in our Flagstaff 832IKBS until december. A little worried about the outside shower & faucet freezing since they are outside. I was thinking a light bulb, but not sure if it would get too hot or maybe removing shower head. Not sure that would still leave water in faucets.
Your thoughts on these ideas on whether they suck or do you have some other thoughts as a simple solution until I can winterize.
Thanks
If you think the Very Thin plastic Box in the lower left in the Pic. will stop Freezing the OS/Shower (Go for it)! This Area is a (9 x5) Non insulated (HOLE) in the side of your RV! To prevent freezing (Remove hose,open H/C valves,go inside and cut supply lines to OS/shower,install shutoff valves) Now you will NOT have Water (IN or Going) to the OS/Shower! Any other way (Will/Could) end with (I Didn't think it would Get (That Cold)! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2200.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	66282  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #12

When we camp we usually bring along a thermostat & remote sensor. While traveling, if we've turned the fridge off, the thermostats in the cab with us and the remote sensors in the fridge monitoring the temperature. While camped the thermostat goes inside the TT and the remote sensor outside in a shaded area.

Anyhow if you have a similar thermostat with a remote sensor you could place the sensor in the outside shower to keep an eye on it's health.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #13
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I just removed the entire faucet assy and capped the lines. We never used it on this camper or the previous 2 that had it.
I use the compartment to store the Dish cables.

LOVE this idea. I doubt Sneak and I will ever use the outdoor shower either. Perfect for storing the satellite cables! Leave it to OC to think of another use for that small storage area.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #14

I had the same problem so I removed and plugged the lines feeding the faucet then I removed the faucet and shower head. Stuffed insulation in the compartment and closed the door.
jdslacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower