Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #101

Interesting how many people have "negative opinions". If you do not have a "helpful opinion" why comment. Sometimes it is ok to pass on the opportunity to share your wisdom.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #102

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have not done the Walmart/ Rest Area overnight. The issue is Power, need 100 for cpap for 2. Also I have seen on some videos about leaving your slides in, doesn't work for us as can not use the trailer with slides in. I like the security of booking in advance, especially when travelling in unknown areas. If we head south for a Winter break I most likely would pick somewhere to stay overnight and use Inverter for cpap for a quick over night stop.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
Old 02-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #103

[QUOTE=HSVBamaBob;785319]

Wal-Mart/Flying J/Cracker Barrel want you to stop (apparently according to their FAQ) and frankly I would rather pay cracker barrel (exemplar) $15.00 for breakfast as a thank you for being allowed to park in their lot overnight rather than some overpriced KOA where you are packed in like sardines for $20+ a night

Where are you finding a KOA for $20/night ? There aint NO WHERE thats $20/night anymore.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I have not done the Walmart/ Rest Area overnight. The issue is Power, need 100 for cpap for 2. Also I have seen on some videos about leaving your slides in, doesn't work for us as can not use the trailer with slides in. I like the security of booking in advance, especially when travelling in unknown areas. If we head south for a Winter break I most likely would pick somewhere to stay overnight and use Inverter for cpap for a quick over night stop.

Brian,

This month I am fixing to ditch the CPAP for a dental appliance!! Talk to your sleep Dr and see if this is for you or DW...I am excited about his (because frankly I HATED the CPAP!)

Sent from my iPad Air using FRF App for iOS
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
Old 02-16-2015, 09:26 PM   #105

[QUOTE=trbomax;785369]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

Wal-Mart/Flying J/Cracker Barrel want you to stop (apparently according to their FAQ) and frankly I would rather pay cracker barrel (exemplar) $15.00 for breakfast as a thank you for being allowed to park in their lot overnight rather than some overpriced KOA where you are packed in like sardines for $20+ a night

Where are you finding a KOA for $20/night ? There aint NO WHERE thats $20/night anymore.

KOA camper's card also Passport America but still OUCH still

Old 02-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #106
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post

With a good battery and not using the CPAPs' humidifiers you should be fine with a simple inverter. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424141576.953544.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	69767

The slides vs. not seems to be debated- the general goal is you want to give the appearance of parking not camping. But, as long as the slides aren't sticking out in a roadway, I don't see a problem with them. My camper is fairly unusable without our main slide open and the bunkhouse in inaccessible with them closed. So we open ours.

For BamaBob, generators are a case by case basis. Some places they'll be fine as the only people who will hear it are businesses that are closed. And others, you may but up against residential areas. Just use common courtesy and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Just don't let the FRF Walmart Police deter you- they're all bark and no bite.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #107

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I bought a generator for some boon docking, going to try that in Northern Ontario but may use it at Walmart someday as well. I don't use humidifier in the summer so I should be OK for a night with 2 machines. Even if we kill the battery I just remote start the truck and the charge line turns on if needed.

I have to honest growing up in a city that is like a town of 2,000 people most Walmart's/ Cracker Barrels I have seen look pretty sketchy. JMHO.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
Old 02-17-2015, 12:20 AM   #108
Denver, CO

Quote:
Here's a question for anyone out there that has a large 5er with a built in Genny - if you Walmart camp, can you run your Genny in the summer to power the A/C? Also, how noisy are those factory installed Gennys?

Also,on a lot of 5ers you need to pop out a slide or 2 in order to use the bedroom - is this a issue for Walmart ?

Make one of these and they won't hear you.

http://youtu.be/eJ8KkjBmbZs

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Make one of these and they won't hear you.

http://youtu.be/eJ8KkjBmbZs
Yeah, that is a pretty cool setup (and looks like something OC would have fabricated )

What I am wondering though is if there are any out there who have the factory installed generators (It is a Onan 5.5KW Propane Generator with invertor) I saw this setup at a RV show - did not know you could get this in a 5th Wheel!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen Prep.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	69776  
Old 02-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #110
Always Learning

Quote:
Yeah, that is a pretty cool setup (and looks like something OC would have fabricated )

What I am wondering though is if there are any out there who have the factory installed generators (It is a Onan 5.5KW Propane Generator with invertor) I saw this setup at a RV show - did not know you could get this in a 5th Wheel!
I know that some Open Range fifth wheels come with a generator as a factory option. I feel like the Sierra/Sandpiper 365SAQ offered it, but I could be imagining that.

Not all offer it, but some definitely do.

I'm not positive that I'd try this as an aftermarket mod. Containing and controlling the carbon monoxide could be really treacherous and deadly if you get wrong.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #111
Site Team

The site team is going to review this thread as it has strayed WAY OFF of it's intended topic of getting water into your tank while parked at Wal-mart.. While it's under review, we are going to temporarily close it to new posts.

Thank You

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread

Tags
camper