Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
And that's coming from a guy who must have a lot of experience buying ice cream sandwiches - does Walmart sell individual ice cream sandwiches or do you have to buy a dozen at a time?
Welll.....to be honest, being the gentleman i am, I always buy a whole box to share!..plus the trailer has a real nice freezer in it...lol...

The last walmart we stayed at in bernillo nm, not only had an awesome view of the mtns, the manager had the security drive by our rigs way out on the lot (always check with mgmt before setting up camp in a wally...) I ended up buying ice cream sandwiches AND liquor there....lol..wal mart....gotta love it.. :-)

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
Old 03-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

We always ask for permission and half the time the manager looks at you like you got 2 heads for asking and says no problem but we always do. Also we never put the stabilizers down or disconnect. And we always get in as a remote as possible location in the parking lot or where the manager asks us to park. Always helps to buy some stuff as well and have it in hand when you go see the manager. As to water we always run with at least half full fresh water tank as it is nice to have water when you stop along the way for lunch for important thinks like potty breaks or a coffee.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
Old 03-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #13

i never disconnect, but i run my elect stabs down...takes all of 30 seconds and the trailer dont feel like its a boat on water...i dont think putting the stabs down is bad.....and of course i have to run the slides out so we can sleep....

now i dont go putting out the awning and patio rugs and whipping out the zero g lawn chairs....LOL

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
Old 03-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #14
Denver, CO

No stabs, but slides out. Never unhook. Karry a 1/4 tank of water. ALWAYS ask. They are great and I always buy something and thank them.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #15
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post
If you plan to stay over night at a Wal Mart and don't want to carry the water on the trip, how do you get some water into your water tank when you get to your destination? Any ideas?
i'm confused why you would travel without a full tank of water, if you were planning to stay overnite at a Walmart.

the only way that makes sense, is if you are towing with a marginal tow vehicle and you have to count every ounce of weight.

we always travel with a full tank because we know our home water is excellent and our truck has plenty of extra towing capacity that an extra 200lbs+ of water won't make any difference.
and the extra water weight will barely affect a fraction of the fuel mileage.

it's the air resistance that affects fuel mileage more than the weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
Old 03-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #16
Denver, CO

Yeah that is true but I have seen a few reports that the tanks fall out of the rig when towed full. Not sure what units or what circumstance, but if a 1/4 tank will get me to my destination then thats okay with me.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #17

I have stayed at a Walmart at Myrtle Beach. It was completely by accident though. We thought our reservation at the campground started on Friday, but it wasn't until Saturday. Oops!
Old 03-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i'm confused why you would travel without a full tank of water, if you were planning to stay overnite at a Walmart.

the only way that makes sense, is if you are towing with a marginal tow vehicle and you have to count every ounce of weight.

My two brother-in-laws have sister Salems. One of their water tanks fell from its compartment under the unit and hit the hi-way. The metal slats used from the factory could hold it up sitting still, but not bouncing down the road. One bent slat and out it comes. Not hard to beef it up if it was known, but a big surprise when going down the road at 60mph

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Old 03-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #19

I always carry some water in my tank(1[3 to 1/4), even for weekend trips. You never know when you might need an extra few gallons. One time, we were on the road and pulled into a rest stop for a break. A few moments later another RVer pulled in and his radiator was hot and steaming. He wasn't carrying any water,so I let him use mine. He was very grateful.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #20

I'm curious if there are baffles in the tanks to reduce the effects of sloshing around. If not, I sure wouldn't want a full or near full tank while I am traveling.

Regarding overnighting in Walmart, there is a great phone app that cost like $5 from Allstays that lists all the Walmarts in US and whether or not they allow overnighting. Not all do (sometimes it's a city ordinance etc.)

Tags
camper