Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #81

So.... heading out for a few days on a trip to Phoenix and back. I've decided to try this. I just need to sleep one or two nights on the way out and the same for coming back. I'll ask the manager if it's OK. I looked at the website and the places I intend to stay say OK, but I'll still ask the manager. Do any of you sleep at rest stops on the interstate? I thought about that and it seems a bit risky... but the truckers do it a lot. What say you?

Old 02-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #82
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
So.... heading out for a few days on a trip to Phoenix and back. I've decided to try this. I just need to sleep one or two nights on the way out and the same for coming back. I'll ask the manager if it's OK. I looked at the website and the places I intend to stay say OK, but I'll still ask the manager. Do any of you sleep at rest stops on the interstate? I thought about that and it seems a bit risky... but the truckers do it a lot. What say you?
Download this list, so you can have a good idea if the store allows overnight parking or not before you stop:
Walmart Overnight RV Parking Resources

I haven't done rest areas, but if I did - it would be out with the trucks. But, being out with the trucks, I'd feel guilty about taking a spot overnight from a working driver who has mandatory stops. (Not that you're doing anything wrong if you do stop and sleep at a rest area- it's just not for me.) Given the volume of trucks at ours, I'd bet that it's pretty noisy.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #83

I thought about the "taking up a spot" aspect, but I pay my fair share of the taxes that built the place... so I wouldn't feel too badly. But, to each his own... I salute you for your consideration of others...

Jack
Old 02-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #84

I like state rest stops but in most you have to park with the semis as discussed above. I'll pull in to a wide open spot and then a semi will pull in on each side of me and let their motors run all night long. Drives me crazy(er)! I look for Walmarts now when I just need a quick night's stop. I usually do some shopping and make sure I leave nothing in the parking lot. I appreciate that Walmart let's us do this.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #85
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I thought about the "taking up a spot" aspect, but I pay my fair share of the taxes that built the place... so I wouldn't feel too badly. But, to each his own... I salute you for your consideration of others...

Jack

Thumbs up. I tried to give my reason and not be preachy about it. I appreciate that you did the same.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:20 PM   #86

Over the last 40 yrs we have used the rest areas,truck stops ,but never a walmart.Never had any problems,but I did sleep with my smith mod 39s under the pillow.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #87

Walther security mod 40 and a rottwieler =no problems where we have stopped to sleep.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:37 PM   #88

Our dogs are worthless. The siberian and aussie would let them in and then lick them into submission
Old 02-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Our dogs are worthless. The siberian and aussie would let them in and then lick them into submission
Shhhhh the bad guys don't know that and my wife's Rottwieler is a big chicken BUT A REALY LOUD big chicken.

Looking at the avatar ,that'll do puppy that'll do.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post
If you plan to stay over night at a Wal Mart and don't want to carry the water on the trip, how do you get some water into your water tank when you get to your destination? Any ideas?
X2

I don't know about your unit, but I can't pour water into the fresh tank; it takes a pump and a little pressure to get'r done.

Tags
camper