Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #1

Any Wal Mart Campers out there?

If you plan to stay over night at a Wal Mart and don't want to carry the water on the trip, how do you get some water into your water tank when you get to your destination? Any ideas?
Old 03-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Always Learning

See if this thread helps you:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-56231.html

Most campgrounds have a fresh water source available.

Otherwise, if you have a water hookup at your site- you don't actually have to fill your tank.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #3

X2 on what ependydad said. Although we never travel with no water at all. We always have some water for flushing the toilet etc. Also lots of fuel stations have water spigots available for water while traveling, Flying J for instance.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
Old 03-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

I don't pull any water weight in my trailer at all. I do have a 2½ gallon water jug for dishes,drinking, coffee etc. & a 2 liter soda bottle full for flushing which I carry in the truck. Plenty for one night, maybe even two, but then I would be getting a little ripe & need a shower.

State & national parks that I have been to have water sources to fill up your trailer. Sometimes they are not very convenient so I carry an extra fresh water hose. I fill up both water containers & drain the trailer fresh water on the road when I leave.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Engineer of Crazy Train

I have stood at a Wally World once. Last resort in my opinion. I try and carry a few gallons on board for flushing/washing hands and a few Nalgene bottles for drinking.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
Old 03-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post
If you plan to stay over night at a Wal Mart and don't want to carry the water on the trip, how do you get some water into your water tank when you get to your destination? Any ideas?
if i KNOW im going to overnight in a wally/cracker barrel lot i just make SURE i have at least 5-10 gallons in the tank....and to be honest i NEVER travel anywhere without 5-10 in the tank for stops or using the outside kitchen sink to wash up.....

my neighbor used to NEVER want to carry water in the tank, but always carried 2 5gal jugs??....lol....to each thier own....

putting 5 gallons in your tank for an overnighter only adds about 40lbs to your trailer....and at least you can get it in from a known clean source/spigot..(i still use an inline filter when i fill my tank from the hose)

but hey...if your in a walmart lot, you could just walk in and buy a cple gallons of water to use while your there......that is kinda the beauty of being in a wally lot! haah...of if you get a hankering for an ice cream sandwich at midnight.....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
Old 03-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
if i KNOW im going to overnight in a wally/cracker barrel lot i just make SURE i have at least 5-10 gallons in the tank....and to be honest i NEVER travel anywhere without 5-10 in the tank for stops or using the outside kitchen sink to wash up.....

my neighbor used to NEVER want to carry water in the tank, but always carried 2 5gal jugs??....lol....to each thier own....

putting 5 gallons in your tank for an overnighter only adds about 40lbs to your trailer....and at least you can get it in from a known clean source/spigot..(i still use an inline filter when i fill my tank from the hose)

but hey...if your in a walmart lot, you could just walk in and buy a cple gallons of water to use while your there......that is kinda the beauty of being in a wally lot! haah...of if you get a hankering for an ice cream sandwich at midnight.....
And that's coming from a guy who must have a lot of experience buying ice cream sandwiches - does Walmart sell individual ice cream sandwiches or do you have to buy a dozen at a time?
Old 03-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #8

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like I can fill when I get there. Caring 5-10 gal is probably a good idea. On another issue does Wal Mart not care if you spend the night in their parking lot?
Old 03-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
MC9

I would rather stay at a Wally World than almost any campground. Cameras all over the place and almost all have full time security guards. Ever been in a campground that had either.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomgky View Post
On another issue does Wal Mart not care if you spend the night in their parking lot?
It depends on the Walmart. Some allow it, some don't (or can't due to municipal restrictions). There is a Yahoo group that keeps a pretty accurate list updated from actual stays/contacts with stores:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/walmartrving/info

In their files, they have the list.

The general etiquette is that you're parking overnight not camping overnight. That means, no awnings, no grills, no outside chairs and whatnot (supposedly this happens ). You also want to be aware of your stabilizers/landing gear on hot asphalt- you can easily punch a hole in it mid-summer. The topic of slides is hotly contested- in my opinion, as long as they're opened over a grassy median and not taking up too much space, they're fine.

And lastly- always ask for permission first! Even if you see other RVers there already, go inside (or call) and ask. They'll likely have a specific area that they want you to park in.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
And that's coming from a guy who must have a lot of experience buying ice cream sandwiches - does Walmart sell individual ice cream sandwiches or do you have to buy a dozen at a time?
Welll.....to be honest, being the gentleman i am, I always buy a whole box to share!..plus the trailer has a real nice freezer in it...lol...

The last walmart we stayed at in bernillo nm, not only had an awesome view of the mtns, the manager had the security drive by our rigs way out on the lot (always check with mgmt before setting up camp in a wally...) I ended up buying ice cream sandwiches AND liquor there....lol..wal mart....gotta love it.. :-)

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

We always ask for permission and half the time the manager looks at you like you got 2 heads for asking and says no problem but we always do. Also we never put the stabilizers down or disconnect. And we always get in as a remote as possible location in the parking lot or where the manager asks us to park. Always helps to buy some stuff as well and have it in hand when you go see the manager. As to water we always run with at least half full fresh water tank as it is nice to have water when you stop along the way for lunch for important thinks like potty breaks or a coffee.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Old 03-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #13

i never disconnect, but i run my elect stabs down...takes all of 30 seconds and the trailer dont feel like its a boat on water...i dont think putting the stabs down is bad.....and of course i have to run the slides out so we can sleep....

now i dont go putting out the awning and patio rugs and whipping out the zero g lawn chairs....LOL

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 03-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #14
Denver, CO

No stabs, but slides out. Never unhook. Karry a 1/4 tank of water. ALWAYS ask. They are great and I always buy something and thank them.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman View Post
i'm confused why you would travel without a full tank of water, if you were planning to stay overnite at a Walmart.

the only way that makes sense, is if you are towing with a marginal tow vehicle and you have to count every ounce of weight.

we always travel with a full tank because we know our home water is excellent and our truck has plenty of extra towing capacity that an extra 200lbs+ of water won't make any difference.
and the extra water weight will barely affect a fraction of the fuel mileage.

it's the air resistance that affects fuel mileage more than the weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 03-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #16
Denver, CO

Yeah that is true but I have seen a few reports that the tanks fall out of the rig when towed full. Not sure what units or what circumstance, but if a 1/4 tank will get me to my destination then thats okay with me.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 AM   #17

I have stayed at a Walmart at Myrtle Beach. It was completely by accident though. We thought our reservation at the campground started on Friday, but it wasn't until Saturday. Oops!
Old 03-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i'm confused why you would travel without a full tank of water, if you were planning to stay overnite at a Walmart.

the only way that makes sense, is if you are towing with a marginal tow vehicle and you have to count every ounce of weight.

My two brother-in-laws have sister Salems. One of their water tanks fell from its compartment under the unit and hit the hi-way. The metal slats used from the factory could hold it up sitting still, but not bouncing down the road. One bent slat and out it comes. Not hard to beef it up if it was known, but a big surprise when going down the road at 60mph

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Old 03-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #19

I always carry some water in my tank(1[3 to 1/4), even for weekend trips. You never know when you might need an extra few gallons. One time, we were on the road and pulled into a rest stop for a break. A few moments later another RVer pulled in and his radiator was hot and steaming. He wasn't carrying any water,so I let him use mine. He was very grateful.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #20

I'm curious if there are baffles in the tanks to reduce the effects of sloshing around. If not, I sure wouldn't want a full or near full tank while I am traveling.

Regarding overnighting in Walmart, there is a great phone app that cost like $5 from Allstays that lists all the Walmarts in US and whether or not they allow overnighting. Not all do (sometimes it's a city ordinance etc.)
Closed Thread

Tags
camper