Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #1

Any way to secure shore power cord?

Recently purchased an Apex 268BHS. New to all of this but am learning tons from these forums. I'm a retired cop and naturally am paranoid. Dope heads will steal anything that isn't secured and I was wondering about my 30 amp shore power cord. Bound to be a lot of copper in it (a meth head's dream). My cord has the screw plug on the trailer side and the regular plug on the hook up side. I've been trying to figure out a way to secure it when we are camping but am coming up empty. Any ideas or am I too paranoid? That cord is expensive!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
2011 Forest River Stealth

So far I haven't heard of anyone stealing cords in all my camping years. Not saying it will not happen. Sad to say, I think if someone wants it bad enough there going to take it secure or not. So far I have never had a problem.
rwtdct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Skippy View Post
Any ideas or am I too paranoid? That cord is expensive!
Not too paranoid and I've pondered the same issue. Check this out:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Electrical power cord theft

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwtdct View Post
So far I haven't heard of anyone stealing cords in all my camping years. Not saying it will not happen. Sad to say, I think if someone wants it bad enough there going to take it secure or not. So far I have never had a problem.
Agreed. I think it's more likely to disappear if you have it connected at home than camping. But then that all depends on where you live and where you camp. Stupid people and evil people camp too. On my last trip (to a different park than I usually go to) I came across a stashed bicycle that was reported stolen a day before. Some kids thought it would be a fun prank OR maybe were planning to come back for it when fewer eyes were around.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:39 AM   #5

Not paranoid, but even if secured if they want it for copper they'll just cut it. They wouldn't care if it came out in pieces or whole just my .02
Greywolfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #6

Never heard a problem while camping but thieves cut off all the older style pull out cords from campers at our local RV dealership...........

We have had a lot of problems locally with thieves stealing copper wire from the closed factories around here, even while hot....... burnt one huge building to the ground doing it (Thief was caught he had burns some have died) Even stealing AC units from churches for scrap..... high unemployment doesn't help (was over 20% now it is 15%). The theft is slowing down some they have tightened up on the scrap dealers........ & to sell scrap you have to be registered with the city/county & show proof when selling to the scrap dealer.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolfdan View Post
Not paranoid, but even if secured if they want it for copper they'll just cut it. They wouldn't care if it came out in pieces or whole just my .02
This.

There's no way of securing the WHOLE cord. If someone is stealing it for the copper, they aren't going to worry about unplugging/unscrewing from the camper or gently unplugging from the box. It'll be a cut and run...

Get out and enjoy. If your cord gets stolen, it's an aggravating but easy fix but it just doesn't happen often enough to worry.

(Now, plugged in at home is a whole 'nother story. My camper has to be parked on the street- which means running an extension cord down my drive way and across the sidewalk to the camper. I bring it in every night (in a pile on my garage floor).)
Old 08-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #8

As with all theft prevention, it will mostly deter the opportunistic thief rather than stop the determined. But a great deal of theft is opportunistic so it can do some good. My thought is to get some steel fishing leader wire and use that to fasten a metal ring to the power cord. A security cable could be attached to the ring and the camper or to the power pole on the other end.

120 lb leader wire is difficult to cut with cheap multi tools and several individual strands tightly wound around the cord, each with its one ferrule would take a long time to remove with the cheap tools that are more common. Nevertheless, it would only need a pair of decent wire cutters to remove but will be enough to make a toolless thief move on to an easier target.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #9

Yes, sadly all of you are correct. Thieves are all about opportunities. Hopefully my boxer, who never really relaxes in the camper, will alert us if anything is going on outside. The one time we went camping in another camper before we bought this one she growled all night! Thanks y'all.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #10

I have not had anything go missing from a RV park, but I don't do the boondocking were you would think things would be less secure? With 50 amp power cord and a $335 electric power/surge protector maybe I should worry?
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #11

I think for the most part campers look out for each other. I think that is why there isn't a lot of theft in campgrounds. When you think about it, there is a lot of good stuff to steal and it really wouldn't be that hard. I make a point of it to see if not meet my neighbors. If I see someone looking out of place, I am going to check it out and hope they do the same.

As Epy said, go out and have fun and don't worry about it.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Skippy View Post
Recently purchased an Apex 268BHS. New to all of this but am learning tons from these forums. I'm a retired cop and naturally am paranoid. Dope heads will steal anything that isn't secured and I was wondering about my 30 amp shore power cord. Bound to be a lot of copper in it (a meth head's dream). My cord has the screw plug on the trailer side and the regular plug on the hook up side. I've been trying to figure out a way to secure it when we are camping but am coming up empty. Any ideas or am I too paranoid? That cord is expensive!
Captain, my friend, you are thinking to much and adding to much stress to your life. The camping areas that you will go will be fairly 'crime free'. These are 'family' areas with kids at play and kids will do what kids do. This will raise your stress level..... In camping many 'bad' things will happen, flat tire, propane ran out, bugs in the food, run out of beer, ect.... but almost no 'campers' go out of their way to steal from other campers. I will admire your 'flags' and camp chairs and awning lights and then go to camping world and buy my own, to toss away in two years.... As a retired public servant I am sure that you are 'carrying' for your and others 'protection'. please don't over react when someone 'admires' your rig and wants to be neighborly and you draw on them. Many travelers also carry and bad things could happen quickly. As a daddy bear, if I see that a piece is pointed at one of my kids, I will not hesitate to put something down range as fast as I can. 'Stuff' is not worth 'stressing' over when lives are involved. If you can not relax and not be
paranoid IN a campground, please sell your rig and stay home.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
I think for the most part campers look out for each other. I think that is why there isn't a lot of theft in campgrounds. When you think about it, there is a lot of good stuff to steal and it really wouldn't be that hard. I make a point of it to see if not meet my neighbors. If I see someone looking out of place, I am going to check it out and hope they do the same.
X2

I do believe that other "HONEST" campers do look out for each other.

We have discussed this same subject before, and besides your cord being easy for copper thieves.............your batteries are fairly easy pickings too for these opportunistic thieves. Although heavier, batteries don't require any work on the other end for Sir Scumbag, since they don't have to get the wire out of the sheathing.

I also believe you are pretty safe in most campgrounds.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #14

Theft does happen

In 2006 I left my fifth wheel in an RV park where I was contract working and drove home for the weekend. When I came back thieves had entered the fifth wheel through the cargo door and into the trailer through the laundry chute (Keystone Montana has had this feature). Unfortunately the bathroom door was open over the laundry chute and they broke it off it's hinges with brute force. They only got some change, TV, stereo. But the feeling of being violated is hard to overcome. Damage to the fifth wheel was easily repaired. None the less we couldn't stand having the RV anymore and traded it in on another. Neither me or my wife felt safe in it after that and did not like the fact that it was so easily accessible via the laundry chute. I have also talked to a couple of other people who had their spares stolen while they were in the trailer. You can only do your best and as has been pointed out a determined thief will make it happen.
Greytdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #15

I worry more about my brick & mortar home being broken into while we're away even with a security system, lights on a timer and neighbors keeping an eye out than the fiver at a campground, and I live in a decent 'hood' .
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #16

I plan on locking it with a pad lock, with the power cord and surge protector cord inside the loop of the lock. Anyone done this?
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #17

I also use a Surge Guard. I use an old style bicycle lock and chain around the power pole to secure all. The lock hook goes around the cord of the surge guard nicely and hook the 2 ends of the chain together. This does not secure the power cord, but could use 2 locks and chains if desired.
2015 Ford F250 4X4, 6.7 PSD
Pullrite Slider Hitch
jonandjolene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #18

Your stuff is pretty safe in a camp ground if you just use common sense. One tip for at home Is to buy a 30 amp to a 15 amp adapter, in my case I did not want to leave my huge 50 amp cord out while parked at my house and so I bought a 50 amp to 15 amp adapter then just use a cheap extension cord. Not really worth a thief's time, just don't try to run the AC with the el cheapo cord. Have fun and enjoy the camping
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #19

I have a Progressive Industries EMS portable.

I run an extension cord from the pedestal to a storage bay. Plug the extension cord into the EMS. Then the other side of the EMS to the trailer plug.

The EMS is then out of sight at least.

Plus out of any bad weather.

Agreed that 99% of campers are honest but there's the one last weekend who stole our friends kid's rip stick.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMattox View Post
Your stuff is pretty safe in a camp ground if you just use common sense. One tip for at home Is to buy a 30 amp to a 15 amp adapter, in my case I did not want to leave my huge 50 amp cord out while parked at my house and so I bought a 50 amp to 15 amp adapter then just use a cheap extension cord. Not really worth a thief's time, just don't try to run the AC with the el cheapo cord. Have fun and enjoy the camping
+1 on 50A services. A pigtail adaptor isn't cheap but not really worth their effort. A $15 outdoor cord will run your converter and fridge heating element. Even if they do take it your out $80 or $90 as apposed to $200+. For 30A it's about 6-one-half-dozen-the-other. But maybe the smaller gauge of the cord makes it enough less desirable. There are always other things though... Batteries and spares are ticket items too... You just have to be vigilant.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power