Old 09-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #1

Anyone ever used an Ultrasonic Pest device in a camper?

Hey all,

Anyone ever used one of the Ultrasonic Pest repellant devices in a camper?

We seem to have an issue in our camper with mice in the underbelly. They're getting in under there and coming up through the furnace vents. I recently replaced the furnace vents and pulled everything apart to do it. However, I noticed last weekend they're back at it again.

I'm really mad about it. I'd love to nuke the camper but that would probably get me in trouble :-)

007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
Kasual Kamper

I bought one that took a 9 volt battery after successfully using the AC kind in my attic for many years. The battery operated ones don't work. Neither do dryer sheets, mothballs or spearmint.

You can use the old fashion spring traps, but then you have to check them often.

We found the best solution was to store all bedding, towels, etc. in Tucker tote bins and let the mice have the trailer. Then clean up their turds in the spring.

JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
I bought one that took a 9 volt battery after successfully using the AC kind in my attic for many years. The battery operated ones don't work. Neither do dryer sheets, mothballs or spearmint.

You can use the old fashion spring traps, but then you have to check them often.

We found the best solution was to store all bedding, towels, etc. in Tucker tote bins and let the mice have the trailer. Then clean up their turds in the spring.
LOL! Thanks.

I plugged every hole I could find. For the life of me I can't tell how they'd possibly get in there.

I really wish my camper storage place had better control.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post

I really wish my camper storage place had better control.
I wonder if shrink wrapping the trailer would be an option? They do it with boats at the marina.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #5

I can't imagine what it would cost to do that.. my camper is 33.5' long!

I was thinking of putting a few pest bombs in there.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #6

I disagree about the mothballs. We have used them since the mid 90s on 2 pop ups and a hybrid. Not one rodent.
FWIW....no moose, elephants, or kangaroos either.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #7

Ultrasonic pest device I tried in the basement didnt seem to work at all, IMHO they are a gimmick and most of the internet seems to agree if you do some basic research on em.
dreadlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
I disagree about the mothballs. We have used them since the mid 90s on 2 pop ups and a hybrid. Not one rodent.
FWIW....no moose, elephants, or kangaroos either.
Lol. My wife can't stand the smell of moth balls. So we'll have to find another solution.

We have the evergreen smelling stuff and that helps. However, the issue if in the under belly.. not sure how to deal with that. We didn't see any evidence in the camper itself. Just a ball of insulation in the air duct ( that I'd just cleaned out)

Darn things.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #9

With all the mice problems everyone has, I feel amazed that in 11 years, and covering my camper every year, leaving the jacks down, beds made, towels stocked, I've never had a single mouse in our trailer and my neighbor keeps his in a sealed building and has mice every spring. The BIG ! difference I see between his and mine. I saw his this spring and it was full of FOOD CRUMBS !! They take all their stuff out, but they don't deep clean or vacuum. I deep clean every fall, vacuum, wipe out food cabinets, and scrub stove. NO MICE !!
TheWolfPaq82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #10
Sunstar35F

Get Tomcat rodent control

I had a problem in my garage. Once I started using Tomcat rodent control, the problem went away. The bait stations are designed to be pet proof. I'd put 3 or 4 in and around the camper and refill as necessary.
mjpallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #11

I've had good luck with these: https://smile.amazon.com/Earthkind-B...dent+repellent

They can be stashed here, there and everywhere without concern for pets, and they smell pretty good. Kind of a pungent cedar smell.
No evidence of rodents in my PUP or in my storage unit. The storage unit manager suggested them.

Four years of no rodents thus far.
Typical season is about 30 nights camping, usually nearby boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #12

Cool

This was recommended on a thread not long ago.

https://smile.amazon.com/Earthkind-B...dent+repellent

'17 XLT Screw | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow Pkg w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | Bak MX4 & BedRug | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18

My wife and I are looking for our 1st travel trailer.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #13

Talking

I couldn't find moth balls in my local hardware store so I asked the clerk... he said they didn't carry moth balls any more (had something to do with EPA regulations) ... but he said they did have a large supply of gnats nuts !!! LOL !!!
BILL49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #14

We use the Bounce sheets and put a generous quantity around everywhere. This also includes opening all the cabinet doors, etc. Then we put the mouse tack trays down so we have body evidence if they still come in. So far it has worked. The sonic stuff did absolutely nothing. We also put the sheets in the engine compartment of our truck as well as inside the truck. Had mice come in the truck through the air intake of the heater and make a home in a blanket in the back seat one time. Since the bounce, there has been nothing. You can also feed them with Tomcat mouse/rat cubes. I use those outside the trailer to keep them attracted that way. Also, the other day I spotted a cat prowling around our barn and yard. Not our cat, but, it is keeping mice away. Haven't seen one all year. Maybe your storage people could get a cat?
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #15

I used to have a mice nursery in my garage office roof. I added an ultrasonic unit, actually two of them, in the attic of the 20'X12' building. No mice since 2012... in the attic that is. I still use glue strips and traps for an occasional one on the floor. I have put one of these units in the small interior of my 183 hybrid and not had a problem, but I also clean up the food over the winter and clean up crumbs on the floor. The ultrasonic design is better for open areas, as it cannot penetrate closets, drawers, and other closed spaces that mice can get into.

I am thinking about getting this unit here which is an improvement over the popular rolling pop can design.

you tube video https://youtu.be/nsoVcrFyrF8

Original Walk The Plank Mouse Trap - Auto Reset - USA MADE | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	victor.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	150962  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
With all the mice problems everyone has, I feel amazed that in 11 years, and covering my camper every year, leaving the jacks down, beds made, towels stocked, I've never had a single mouse in our trailer and my neighbor keeps his in a sealed building and has mice every spring. The BIG ! difference I see between his and mine. I saw his this spring and it was full of FOOD CRUMBS !! They take all their stuff out, but they don't deep clean or vacuum. I deep clean every fall, vacuum, wipe out food cabinets, and scrub stove. NO MICE !!
Yeah. We do that too. My Wife cleaned out everything really well previous to putting it away last time. I vacuumed every nook and cranny as well.

I might have to try the poison. I wanted to refrain from that as they could die inside there and make a stink but that might be better than continuing to deal with it.

I'd seen the Ultrasonic Pest devices and thought they might just drive them away which would be fine too.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
I've had good luck with these: https://smile.amazon.com/Earthkind-B...dent+repellent

They can be stashed here, there and everywhere without concern for pets, and they smell pretty good. Kind of a pungent cedar smell.
No evidence of rodents in my PUP or in my storage unit. The storage unit manager suggested them.

Four years of no rodents thus far.
Yep. That's the stuff we're using.

Our underbelly is closed and inaccessible. Not sure what to do with that.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL49 View Post
I couldn't find moth balls in my local hardware store so I asked the clerk... he said they didn't carry moth balls any more (had something to do with EPA regulations) ... but he said they did have a large supply of gnats nuts !!! LOL !!!
LOL.. funny guy.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:30 PM   #19

I have used DCon type products for years. The mice haul it into their nests and they all die. It keeps them from breeding and eventually the problem disappears. Used to have a problem with them getting into the ceiling of my fifth wheel. We'd be up camping and you'd hear them running around in the middle of the night. New Crusader is better sealed and no problem so far.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #20

https://youtu.be/Kx0OkA5pP68?t=1m48s

This guy has a security camera recording mice walking inches away from two ultrasonic devices to get to his bait food..

Dont waste yer time w/these things IMHO

dreadlocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper