Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #1

Anyone faced flooding issues while camping?

Last Last spring we were camping along the Black River in Southern Missouri. There were only a few groups camping that weekend. It rained like heck, and I had been marking the riverbank outside our TT to judge the rise of the river. The camground owner came through about 1am, and stopped at each site to warn everyone of possible flash flood conditions overnight. He said that we would be warned if the river started rising, and if it looked like it would cover the road, would be forced to evacuate. As politely as he could say it, he told us that we might have as little as a 15 minute warning and we would have to get in the truck and leave, leaving the TT and other stuff behind. I told him that we would be taking the TT if we were leaving, and i assured him I would be ready to leave in a 5 minute notice. He said that he would drive through honking the first round through, and then go to each site to get everyone going. So, as the kids slept, my wife secured stuff in the TT, and I dropped the TT on the hitch, brought up the jackes, and pulled everything in except the carpet on the ground. To leave, I would unplug the 110v extention cord and throw it in the TT, (I pushed the TT's cord back in the hole), connect the 7way plug, put the family in the TV and drive off. 5 minutes was the goal. It was fine being hooked up like that, but I didn't sleep much anyway. When the sun came up, it was eery seeing the water couple feet from coming into the campground. The owner was shocked how much it had come up, saying that it usually has to rain for days befors it gets that high. The water dropped, but he came through later that day and said they predicted the same or worse weather that night. 5 minutes later, we were in the TV ready to leave, including the wet carpet. My plan wasn't needed, but I tested it anyway. Has anyone else faced issues like this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Forest River Forums mobile app
2006 Forest River Rockwood 8315SS
daddyntwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #2

Any on faced flooding issues while camping?

Our seasonal spot has flooded at least six times in the ten years we have been there....the first one took out probably 20 campers along with most of the decks, sheds, picnic tables, firewood you name it - a fifth wheel had a water line in the bedroom window up top! We have not had any camper damage but get real good at cleaning it up 😁- the other 99% of the time is the reason we go back - a wonderful scenic riverfront spot with non stop canoe and kayak parade all summer 🚣 - now we monitor the USGS water levels online and go down to pick up everything if it is going to flood - and we raise the camper up higher each year we go back 😉
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Experienced Newbie

About 3 years ago we camped in a state park. We stayed in one of the lower lying sites. Well after a day and a half of rain, we woke up with a moat around the popup.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:33 PM   #4

Had it in Palo Duro SP, TX a few years ago in late July. Went to see the 'Texas" production, and the heavens opened, the show was cancelled, so we made our way back to the TT. Thirty minutes later the rangers came through calling for assistance to move several elderly RV'ers who were in sites closer to the river. Probably 20 - 25 folks turned out to give assistance and only one fifth wheel couldn't be moved - the owners were nowhere to be found. It was great to see how everybody mucked in to help.

2005 Ford F150 5.4
2011 Salem 21FBS
greenliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping