Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Applying Meguiars Oxidation remover and then wax

Okay, I started to apply the Meguiars Oxidation remover and then wax. I applied by hand and removed the same way. I have so far only done the front cap on our fifth wheel and still have 40 feet on both sides and the back to do. Doing it by hand is quite a workout. Not great for an asthmatic either. The little foam pads that I got to apply this stuff loads up quickly with the oxidation remover. Anyone have any tips, tricks, and or thoughts on an easier way. I have no polisher and no experience with one either.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #2

Don't have a good answer, but started the same thing this evening. Only got a small side 1/4 panel done. I do have have a orbital buffer, so am going to order some foam pads for it. Hope someone has an easier solution.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
Broken Toe

spend the money and get a good buffer. NOT an orbital one from wal-mart for $25, but a true, variable speed buffer. Look in pawn shops, you can usually get a decent on for $50-60.

This is the one I bought new for about $180

These picture shows what I did with it. There is no way in hell I would have even attempted this without owning a good buffer.

Starting point:

Halfway down one side

End product:

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #4

I use an orbital with great success.Buy some extra pads that fit the wheel.$25 at Walmart is money well spent.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #5

Have to be very careful with a buffer like that I would get an orbital I use one and it works great

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
firedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #6

I put a double layer of masking tape on all window edges,mouldings,and lights or speakers. The buffer will move the compound around and once it gets on anything rubber or textured, you will never get it off.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The amount of oxidation will dictate if an orbital or buffer is required. Light oxidation can be removed with an orbital, and if you were doing it by hand and it was achieving satisfactory results, an orbital may work just fine. Also, there is a big difference between a buffer and a grinder, even though they may look identical. A buffer will spin much slower at max speed 3,000 rpms or less, a grinder will spin 7-9,000 rpms.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:24 PM   #8

When I wax my Windjammer, I spend just a few hours. I use a Porter-Cable 7424XP with Meguiar's M6332 Flagship Premium Marine Wax - 32 oz.
Learned about the Porter-Cable on youtube. I got mine through Home Depot.

I got the Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate and polishing pads from http://www.autogeek.net/lakecountry.html

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
Okay, I started to apply the Meguiars Oxidation remover and then wax. I applied by hand and removed the same way. I have so far only done the front cap on our fifth wheel and still have 40 feet on both sides and the back to do. Doing it by hand is quite a workout. Not great for an asthmatic either. The little foam pads that I got to apply this stuff loads up quickly with the oxidation remover. Anyone have any tips, tricks, and or thoughts on an easier way. I have no polisher and no experience with one either.
just my thoughts, the Meguiars Oxidation remover scares me. I'm thinking abrasive and leaving scratched. but that's just IMO..
When using the Meguiar's M6332 Flagship I even go over the decals, doesn't do any damage.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
Oklahoma Proud

I believe that the "oxidation remover" is basically just a rubbing compound. Wax won't remove oxidation, at best it may mask it for a bit.
At work when we are buffing cars after getting painted, nibbed and sanded, we will use a compound, then a polish, like finesse. Switching pads between each on our buffer (we dont use an orbital, a detail shop might for wax only). We then will lightly go over with a light spray wax pollished out with a microfiber towel.
For removing oxidation on gelcoat it should be roughly the same. If really bad you may have to wet sand with 1500, then DA sand with 3000, and then again with 5000 then compound, polish and wax.

Gelcoat needs wax for its uv protection. Oxidation on Gelcoat is actually the uv light breaking it down. So keep it waxed before it starts oxidizing. Gelcoat is different than paint, that usually has uv protection in the clear.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wax