Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #21

I have awning supports and tie downs and only put it away when moving. Have been in wind with up to 35 mph gusts and it's still attached.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #22

Awning insurance

We have a rider on our RV insurance policy to cover just that, damage to awning without a deductible. I don't remember what it cost but it was very cheap. It might be worth looking into. My coverage is through Nationwide.
Iowa City Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We have the awning tie down brackets and poles that were being sold a few years ago by two forum members, Old Coot and Turbs. Both seem to have sadly left the forum.

With the brackets and the poles for stability, we can leave our awning out all weekend in most cases. Yes you need to use caution if a storm comes through but it allows us to maintain cover across the front of our R/V.

Do a forum search on awning brackets and poles and you will have days of reading.
+1
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
That's about 5 miles from my house. It gets very windy in Colorado. People often think of CO as forests, mountains, and John Denver country. Most of it is actually high plains desert (and not terribly pretty country). Back in my earlier days, I lost two tents to massive wind storms ... one an REI model with aluminum poles. It gets SUPER windy here.

We spend most of our camping in the mountains among pine forests. But, we still bring in our awning at night and when we leave camp. It's so easy to do with the electric motor, I'm not sure why I'd leave it out.
Our daughter and son in law are in Loveland area for husband's job with their RV for 6 months. We are flying out to Colorado next month- but we all will be staying in Estes park.We rented a room and they are taking their camper.

We were going to take our new TT out there but husband just got diagnosed with Polymalagia Rheumtica and is in lot muscle pain and on steroids for about 6 months.

We are still keeping our 1st camping trip first of May for 4 days to get our new camper out and get use to it and be local in case of any issues.

His diagnosis has put a damper on any long trips. Takes about 6 months to a year or more to recover from it.

Anxious to see Colorado.

TT: Purchased @2/1/19 Wildwood X Lite 230BHXL
Irobutterfly59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #25

Neighbor had a wild experience with an awning. I texted him that a strong storm was coming into the area they were camped at. The delay in the update of the radar on my phone was the difference as he got the message just as the gust front hit. He tried to get his awning in but as he was hanging onto one corner...a gust hit the awning...tearing the arms completely off the trailer and throwing him about 60 ft across the road. Took about 3 months for his shoulder to recover from landing on it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #26

Awning

We put out unless wind over approx. 15MPH. We always put in when leaving trailer. If marginally strong wind, we lower 1 side a couple of inches to take some sail out of it, or pull it in some.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #27

Camping on the Texas Gulf... every other camper pulled in their canopy when 'they' went to bed.... 'we' did not pull the canopy in, as 'we' had not camped on that coast before and did not know about the 'wind'.... Insurance replaced our 12 year old canopy when wind ripped part of it....
Insurance Said that it was an 'act of God'.... ...
I agreed that God did it..... the wife said that it was my fault (to me)

Bought Old Coots Tie down brackets and Poles.... works great....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #28

Our first year ... out at a CCC CG when the wind woke us up at 4 a.m. rocking the camper ... yanked the lights down but forgot the S hooks so managed to put a few skylights in our awning (that gorilla tape still keeps the rain out). We now tend to err on the side of caution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05338_edited-1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	202931  

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #29
Lorenc

Awning in or out?

I’ve lost two, one old manual style on a borrowed camper that I was able to fix myself, second one was newer electric one on my camper that had the “rain dump feature” that didn’t dump. Insurance replaced that one so now I watch the weather a lot closer and have it tied down but also will bring it in if it looks bad!
Old 04-26-2019, 08:13 PM   #30

I have brackets, poles and claws. I am still nervous as a cat. I will bring in at night, when we leave or just cause I see it flapping. I think I am more scared of it than I am the Castle Rocks. Lordy
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Neighbor had a wild experience with an awning. I texted him that a strong storm was coming into the area they were camped at. The delay in the update of the radar on my phone was the difference as he got the message just as the gust front hit. He tried to get his awning in but as he was hanging onto one corner...a gust hit the awning...tearing the arms completely off the trailer and throwing him about 60 ft across the road. Took about 3 months for his shoulder to recover from landing on it.

Mmmm. Not near that bad, but DW and I both held a pole why the youngest rolled her in. Scary.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We have the awning tie down brackets and poles that were being sold a few years ago by two forum members, Old Coot and Turbs. Both seem to have sadly left the forum.

With the brackets and the poles for stability, we can leave our awning out all weekend in most cases. Yes you need to use caution if a storm comes through but it allows us to maintain cover across the front of our R/V.

Do a forum search on awning brackets and poles and you will have days of reading.
Sams As Picker !!!
Almost all the time !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:40 PM   #33

Our current RV is a Cardinal fifth-wheel with two awnings that can be deployed or retracted with the push of a button. We only extend them when needed, to block the sun, and only when we are in or near the RV. We can retract them partially when winds pick up, to limit the amount of worrisome flapping, or we can retract them fully to remove all possibility of wind damage.

Our previous travel trailer had an older-style, pull-down awning that we often deployed without problems, and often hooked kerosene lanterns on hooks in the "slot" on the underside of the awning tube. One bright, sunny, calm day while camping in the San Bernardino Mountains, a wind gust came up the canyon and tossed the entire awning over the top of our trailer, despite the fact that I had spiked the supporting legs into the hard ground at each end. It happened so fast that we had no chance of preventing the accident. Fortunately, no one was harmed, and damage to the awning and the attached lanterns was minimal.

Lessons we learned include: never leave your extended awning unattended; be prepared to retract awnings when wind velocity becomes a problem; and never leave your awning adorned with kerosene lanterns, or string lights, or other decorations unless you are prepared to replace them all.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:07 PM   #34

Florida sunshine

We leave ours out during the day and we are there and normally will retract at night if weather talks of a storm. When away, we retract if there is any indication of a storm. Our storms can get crazy here. But we for sure use it to get away from the Florida Sunshine
Old 04-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopinful View Post
We leave ours out during the day and we are there and normally will retract at night if weather talks of a storm. When away, we retract if there is any indication of a storm. Our storms can get crazy here. But we for sure use it to get away from the Florida Sunshine
Do you then put yours Tables & Chairs away ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Ours is only out when we are at the RV, need shade, and it's not too windy. With the new electric ones it is easy and fast to extend/retract. Why take a chance.
We have friends who use the poles and tie downs and leave the awning out all the time whether they are there or not. To date, they have lost four awnings, even using poles.
The older, manual awnings were much easier to tie down and use anti flap devices. When we had one we more likely to leave the awning out. The new electric models fabric still flaps even when using poles. More susceptible to tears.
Do what you think is best for you.
10 secs out...10 secs in...risk vs. effort overwhelmingly favors using as NMW describes...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:10 PM   #37

Lost a tied down one on pop up in unexpected tornado. Lost a retractable one in hurricane. Got up one night and had to shovel snow off one to pull it back in. Now ours barely sees the light of day. It has to be a calm sunny day and we can't leave site or go to bed.
kkhslh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #38

I've gotten up in the middle of the night more than once in my pajamas to quickly stow the awning and various outdoor items after being woken up by the sound of heavy winds.

I try to put it in or lower it significantly if we're leaving for the day and at night, but we tend to hang decorations and lights from it so it's a bit of a pain.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #39

while most folks will almost always 'automatically' run out the awning when they arrive at a campground or rv park, an awning is really only needed if either the sun is bothering you(or it could help cool the coach if the sun is harsh), or it's raining.

Most folks houses don't have awning, yet we feel like we 'have' to have our RV awning out because, after all, it's an RV, right?! It's really only needed if you feel YOU need it.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #40

Stow your awning

If we leave the RV, the awning is always stowed 100% of the time. We have seen dozens of RV awnings wrapped over the roof when a gust of wind comes along unexpectedly. Even if we are right there at the camper, if the day has variable winds that might just pick up unexpectedly, we stow the awning. Too cautious is much better than wishful thinking when it comes to awnings.

Bob
RobertK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning