Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

Awning Lights

DW wants awning lights for our 21FBRS...Need ideas for hanging them, what type to buy.... Help please
Scott Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #2

there are SO many different styles available. Depends on your tastes. Plenty of types of slide in clips for the awning track
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #3

I like fishing so I bought 1 string of fishing bobber lights and 1 string of bass lights. I plugged them in to each other and made one long string, and then took half of the bobbers and bass and alternated them. Looks pretty good.

Mine hang off the awning flap with alligator clips.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #4

I hang 2 oil lanterns from the ends of my awnings. These are table top models so the heat and reflector shield is on the top. I hang them using garden "S" hooks, keeps them about 6 inches under the awning. Heat has never been an issue. Nice light, it doesn't attract bugs, I don't know why? it's lamp oil not citronella, and we gets lots of compliments. Easy to move to a table top for light away from the awning if we need it. I bought them from an Amish hardware store called Lehman's Brothers. They specialize in non electric items (Amish). Really neat store to visit on Ohio.
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #5

Look into the led strip lighting that Amazon has. We ordered some for $32.75. They are peel and stick. We stuck them to camper but you could stick them under awning. They change colors and do a whole lot more. They also provide great lighting. We have gotten lots of compliments on ours.

Kristie Hight
khight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #6

I just ordered these and got this dimmer switch too so I wouldn't blind my neighbors.

Also ordered these to hang them with from the awning.

Although I haven't yet set them up, doing so tonight as we're going camping this weekend, I did take the lights out of the box and can tell you they appear to be of VERY high quality. Very thick cording and thick pigtail cording between the lanterns. The globes are "indestructable" polymer. I'm inclined to believe that statement. I'll take a picture of them in use this weekend and post for you.
mercury049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury049 View Post
I just ordered these and got this dimmer switch too so I wouldn't blind my neighbors.

Also ordered these to hang them with from the awning.

Although I haven't yet set them up, doing so tonight as we're going camping this weekend, I did take the lights out of the box and can tell you they appear to be of VERY high quality. Very thick cording and thick pigtail cording between the lanterns. The globes are "indestructable" polymer. I'm inclined to believe that statement. I'll take a picture of them in use this weekend and post for you.

We have these lights in white cords and the patriotic colored globes - very nice quality product - we put 25w colored bulbs in them - too bright if you use 40-60 watt bulbs!

Wish the black cord version came in set of 10 - i prefer those with our brown/black camper and awning...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #8

my new 18EC came with l.e.d. awning lights, but i like to hang red l.e.d. rope light I bought from Menards......I use the plastic rope light holders that slide into awning roller track......
Attached Images

capt4903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
God Mode

We got the TaoTronics® TT-SL001 Waterproof RGB LED Strip Light Kit .

We find that we like to use red at night. Easy on the eyes and we like the fact they can be dimmed. White at full brightness provides plenty of light to do things.

We end up using a purple or something soft at night since the white is almost blinding.
maxters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #10

I used a white rope light from Walmart on our TT. We now have an LED strip under the awning on our 5'er. My BIL made red, white and blue lights with red solo cups. Like someone said above, there are so many options, go with whatever makes you happy.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
(Dry Huunday)

Many many options like everyone has posted. We prefer the rope light, low profile (so I don't bang my head!), easy to store and control!

Just remember the folks next door! You don't have to light the entire campground!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by khight View Post
Look into the led strip lighting that Amazon has. We ordered some for $32.75. They are peel and stick. We stuck them to camper but you could stick them under awning. They change colors and do a whole lot more. They also provide great lighting. We have gotten lots of compliments on ours.

Kristie Hight
I installed the same led lights under the awning with double sided 3m tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer lights 002.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	65665  

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxters View Post
We got the TaoTronics® TT-SL001 Waterproof RGB LED Strip Light Kit .

We find that we like to use red at night. Easy on the eyes and we like the fact they can be dimmed. White at full brightness provides plenty of light to do things.

We end up using a purple or something soft at night since the white is almost blinding.
Also use these from Amazon. They're super cheap, easy to rig up and will roll right up into your awnings
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, light