Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Originally Posted by 19rwhid35 View Post
I have used the split PVC pipe for about 6 years one three trailer awning and it never damaged or stained the awning fabric. The one thing to be aware of it to strap it to the awning very good. I live in the SW and the wind gets pretty strong out here. I have had one blow off and into the neighbors yard.

Ron Whiddon
I think it was the 4 inch rigid sewer pipe, made from PVC, off-white color. Remember, you will be sawing this round tube in half, length wise. Length, as example, if you have a 16 ft awning, don't just buy an eight footer, get a 10 ft. Then when it is split, it will be 20 ft. and will give you 2 ft from each end to lap over each other. Then, one each end of the lap over, drill a hole on each side of the arc overlap and put flat head screws in with head inside and nuts, flats & locks on the outside. This will protect the awning from the hardward, but will hold the the overlapped ends together. Wish I could draw you a picture. The first one I made, I used PVC pipe cement, but this kept me from being able to later adjust the length if I need to, and I later did need to. I can not take credit for this cover. I first learned of it from an article in Trailer Life years ago.

This unit will serve you well for protecting your awning from the sun.

I also see that you live in GA. I am an ole GA boy myself, from Barnesville, but I have not lived in GA since 1976.

19rwhid35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
Grey plastic part on Dometic awning?

Yes, my awning was opened for first cleaning since purchase of this FEMA about eighteen months ago. Ooohh the smell! I used the multisurface kitchen cleaner with the big armed bald guy on it. It states what bacteria it protects against and the odor was gone after I had sponge wiped both sides every inch. It was my novice opening and I had no idea what I was doing. Inadvertently a rip appeared and I had some Dicor tape nearby to place over the damaged area. I hope this worked. Thanks for your advice.

hilloah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
I bought this awning cover from an RV parts store, and I love it. It works very well to keep the summer sun from destroying the fabric...
I have heard of people leaving them in place and driving with them still on...

Uploaded with

2008 GMC Duramx-2500HD 4x4 CrewCab
52 Gallon Titan Fuel Tank
Reese18K Signature Series 5th Wheel Hitch With Slider #30085
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote