Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #1

Awning Pull Strap

Friday was a nice sunny day, so I thought I would drop the awning so that it would dry out from the recent rain we had. I undid everything, flipped the lever to down. When I got it all the way down pulling on the strap it broke at the connection point to the roller rod. I thought, wow, what it it would have broken loose when I was putting it up? It had torn loose from the connection point to the piece that slides back and forth down the rod. I made a trip to my local rv dealer and purchased another one. I repaired the other one with some nylon thread and some RV Goop and will use it for a spare. Just thought I would put this one out for others to see, might want to order one or get one and to put in the spare junk box.

My awning was just replaced about 6 months ago, don't know if this was the one that came with the new awning or was with the old one.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #2

Wow, that's strange. The one I had on a 14 yr old travel trailer was tough as nails with zero problems. Perhaps a manufacturing defect.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I read somewhere that a strap broke just as the guy was starting to close up the awning. The awning flew closed, throwing stuff out of the cabinets.....can't remember if he damaged the awning or not.

As a precaution, I have installed an extra strap on my awning. I hold both of those puppies until the awning gets close, then use the rod on 1 of them for the final couple of feet.....that is when there is less tension on the spring. Has worked well for me.

For about $5, it is a good safety measure.

Awning Pull Strap - Intersource Enterprises D10-207 - Awning Accessories & Hardware - Camping World

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I read somewhere that a strap broke just as the guy was starting to close up the awning. The awning flew closed, throwing stuff out of the cabinets.....can't remember if he damaged the awning or not.

As a precaution, I have installed an extra strap on my awning. I hold both of those puppies until the awning gets close, then use the rod on 1 of them for the final couple of feet.....that is when there is less tension on the spring. Has worked well for me.

For about $5, it is a good safety measure.

Awning Pull Strap - Intersource Enterprises D10-207 - Awning Accessories & Hardware - Camping World
I like this idea!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #5

Do they make the strap in different sizes? The one on our is the old one we had before the new awning and its way to short had to put a nylon string on it .
trell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #6

Wow, the one listed at Camping World was a lot cheaper than the one I bought at my local RV dealer. I will try and look for another one the next time I go to my local Camping World. It will be a month or two until it will be time to start getting ready for 2013.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning