Old 06-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

cbvp- that looks good! Nothing DIY looking about it!

Old 07-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #12

I have plexiglass that covers the whole screen door in pieces. All stuck with velcro. That way I can remove any I want for air circulation or close it all up and still have the door open for light. The bottom section I can simply move up a few inches at a time if needed.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I have plexiglass that covers the whole screen door in pieces. All stuck with velcro. That way I can remove any I want for air circulation or close it all up and still have the door open for light. The bottom section I can simply move up a few inches at a time if needed.
Can you show a picture? Hubby and I want to do this mod...
Also; did you cut the plexi yourself or have it done at a hardware store. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsarbogast View Post

Can you show a picture? Hubby and I want to do this mod...
Also; did you cut the plexi yourself or have it done at a hardware store. Thanks.
So, I ended up looking at something to protect dang son and the screen in the lower part of the door. I really wanted something that let air flow but didn't like the looks of the Camco door pet guard. The ones at Home Depot were much too big (too tall and too wide).

In the end, I bought a fluorescent light cover grate and a piece of acrylic (aka plastic glass). I had looked at the door and saw that on either side was a groove that something could slide into (see pics)- I just wasn't sure which would fit. Turns out, the light cover thing was too thick. I would have had to make something to mount it to and the have that slide in. So, I have up the air flow and used the acrylic. I would have preferred Lexan, but it was quite a bit more expensive and a much larger size than I needed

The acrylic was very easy to cut. My first edge, I tried to use a square and holding it into place. I had varying levels of success and a few stray cut lines (fortunately almost all on the "outside" of my cut. After 15-20 scores, I held the acrylic down with the square and broke it along the edge of my table. Nice and clean.

The second edge was longer than the first, so I clamped my metal yard stick down on top of the sheet and to the table. There was no movement this time and I was able to get a real clean line. I clamped it down on the edge of the table with some wood blocks to spread the holding force and again it broke nice and clean.

I sanded both edges with 220 grit sand paper and then something much higher (whatever I had laying around) to clean up the edge. For my door, I was able to hide one cut edge in the groove and the other is facing the bottom, so only dang son can critique my work.

For mounting it, I don't see a need for quite a while to take it down, so I used 3M mounting squares cut into rectangles. When I go to take it down, it should be as easy as just pulling. That's the theory, at least.

If I ever make a panel for the top (so I can have the door open but keep weather out), I'd likely cut the curves with my jig saw, a fine metal cutting blade and a nice slow speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-965178747.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	36843   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2815565860.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	36844   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3036319612.jpg
Views:	56