Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 02:45 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
another lession is don't trust any one you dont know ,granted there is a lot to watch even when guiding, I did and smashed my front air, a suggestion for not jackknifingis is cramp the TT then put a piece of tape on the TT for max turn or maybe something on the TT will line up with the side of the TT again happy camping
What do you mean by "cramp the TT then put a piece of tape on the TT for max turn"?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:03 AM   #22
Site Team

there's so many mistakes and wrong words, i can only assume the poster was using a smartphone to post it.
"smashed my front air"?
or they were "under the influence" when they posted it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Do "The Scoop" !!

That convertible sounds like it has a diesel engine.
That's my personal favorite video!
Blubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:46 AM   #24
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Go to a large empty parking lot like a state park, mall, etc and practice, practice, practice. Go ahead, make plenty of mistakes, you'll soon get the hang of it and be a pro.
Practice makes perfect.
Best advice in the thread. Each individual's approach to backing er up will differ and each individual needs to determine the technique that works best for him or her. Find a safe spot and practice, practice and then some.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Best advice in the thread. Each individual's approach to backing er up will differ and each individual needs to determine the technique that works best for him or her. Find a safe spot and practice, practice and then some.
Yes.
I doubt there are two people on this forum that have the exact same TV and trailer so each and everyone will be as you said.

Biggest thing I have seen is turning the steering wheel to far/much, baby turns no need to go lock to lock.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #26

cheap traffic cones and practice, they stack inside each other, are useful if you are on the side of the road add a reflective tape ontop. You can also mark limits before backing to avoid hazards and mark your target.

Wildwood 241QBXL
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:36 AM   #27

to terrier, by cramping the TT I ment backing until the bumper almost touchs the a frame of the TT,then when looking out the right or left rear view mirror put a piece of tape on the TT that lines up with the side of the TV. so when backing if you see that tape you are about to hit the a frame, and pull ahead.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:09 AM   #28
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
...by cramping the TT I ment backing until the bumper almost touchs the a frame of the TT...
AKA the jack-knife maneuver.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:33 AM   #29

'to bikendan,, by smashed my front air, I was told I would clear a canopy and didn;t so I say don't trust anyone you don't know to guide you
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #30

Go ask the campground help for a little assistance the first few times. If they are worth their salt, they will be really good at guiding without the walkies talkies. If you have a traveling partner, get them to watch from the outside to get a hang of it.

Go slow and remember the front of your tow vehicle. A turn that would take about 5 degrees going forward takes 10 degrees backing up.

Don't get discouraged - oh, and offer to sell popcorn to the lookey-lous. Guarantee none of them were good the first time (I tell my kids the first stage of being excellent at something is to really stink at it.)

Last year we got help from some guys who, it turned out, were three sheets to he wind. Only time I ever had the trailer roll off it's blocks when I unhitched.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #31

I by no means am a pro when it comes to backing a trailer, but I have learned many things and most of the points are from experience. Also a my father who spent 30+ years with UPS let me know a little tip. If possible always back left even if it means you need to take a lap or two to position the rig. It allows you to always have a clean line of site all the way down the trailer and beyond. I never paid much attention to this but almost every big rig backs this way. Not always, but when given a choice its pretty common.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:58 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
...Last year we got help from some guys who, it turned out, were three sheets to he wind. Only time I ever had the trailer roll off it's blocks when I unhitched.
So who was 3 sheets to the wind that let the trailer roll off the blocks? Somebody didn't check?
Old 04-01-2015, 04:30 PM   #33

Backing up signals

The DW and I always use walkie-talkies because without them it is too easy to start yelling instructions and blood pressures and temperatures go up. That is what I have heard anyway... We also developed an short language for us that is simple and easily understood. When backing up she will tell me to "turn more" or "turn less", which eliminates who's right and left we are discussing when backing up. Of course "stop" and "come on back" are also used. Anything else that happens or something special that demands an explanation, we will stop and both go look so we are on the same page. Have no problem and everyone is still speaking when we get parked!

BTW - my brother and his DW don't use walkies and may not speak for about an hour after parking. Geez...isn't camping fun?
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #34

We started using walkie-talkies last year and they work great in those tight spots at some of the camp grounds. I don't have to worry about the DW getting her hackles up.
Just saying
kcjoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote