Old 04-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #31
I by no means am a pro when it comes to backing a trailer, but I have learned many things and most of the points are from experience. Also a my father who spent 30+ years with UPS let me know a little tip. If possible always back left even if it means you need to take a lap or two to position the rig. It allows you to always have a clean line of site all the way down the trailer and beyond. I never paid much attention to this but almost every big rig backs this way. Not always, but when given a choice its pretty common.

2011 Coachmen Catalina 28DDS
2015 Ram Bighorn 2500 6.4L
Nights Camped 2015: 28
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:58 PM   #32
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
...Last year we got help from some guys who, it turned out, were three sheets to he wind. Only time I ever had the trailer roll off it's blocks when I unhitched.
So who was 3 sheets to the wind that let the trailer roll off the blocks? Somebody didn't check?

OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:30 PM   #33
Backing up signals

The DW and I always use walkie-talkies because without them it is too easy to start yelling instructions and blood pressures and temperatures go up. That is what I have heard anyway... We also developed an short language for us that is simple and easily understood. When backing up she will tell me to "turn more" or "turn less", which eliminates who's right and left we are discussing when backing up. Of course "stop" and "come on back" are also used. Anything else that happens or something special that demands an explanation, we will stop and both go look so we are on the same page. Have no problem and everyone is still speaking when we get parked!

BTW - my brother and his DW don't use walkies and may not speak for about an hour after parking. Geez...isn't camping fun?
D_B Travelers - 30 nights in 2016... so far. 54 nights in 2015. 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3001W Diamond Pkg, 2015 GMC 3500HD CC DRW Duramax, Equalizer 14K hitch, TST 507rv TPMS.
"Happiness? A good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
George Burns (1896 1996)
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #34
We started using walkie-talkies last year and they work great in those tight spots at some of the camp grounds. I don't have to worry about the DW getting her hackles up.
Just saying

2017 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Package (SOLD)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4X4, Anarchy Tuning
kcjoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote