Old 08-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #41
Originally Posted by Pod2Vibe View Post
Practice in the biggest empty parking lot you can find, prior to your next trip.
x2....i use the fairgrounds parking lot for all the driver training i do before we even hit the road...

Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #42
Instance responce.

Over the years I taught a lot of driver to back. So far you been given a lot of good information. Now to fine tune that, 1.have good mirrors 2. step off how far it is sewer drain pipe to the wheels of your trailer ( remember this info). 3. decide where you want your drain pipe stopped and measure where your wheels will be when you stop. 4.I use my gloves to mark the spot where my wheels should stop. 5. now stop backing the end of your trailer, that's to far away. 6. tilt your mirror so you can see your trailer wheels. you'll find they are much easier to control than the end of your trailer. 7. Spot your glove and back your trailer up until the wheels are right next to the glove. Now your spotted and your sewer pipe is right where you wanted it.

Las Cruces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #43
Oh no not the backing in part

Originally Posted by RickRed52 View Post
I purchased a Rock wood 2503s. It's the first trailer I've had in decades. I'm terrible with backing into sites. I wish there was a class available to take. I've watched a dozen YouTube videos but that hasn't done much to improve my skills. Is there a good book to read, a class to take, or tips experienced folks could share?
Many new people are getting into Rving and a lot of people are not comfortable driving something like trailers and or motorhomes.

I think to all here if you look at the posts in this forum it may help you and many others (Hitting the road without hitting others-driver training)

I hope this helps you and many others with some driving help
2010 Cedar Creek Silverback 35ts
2001 GMC 2500HD w/ Allison & 8.1
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #44
Doll House Two
Backing you baby up

I have owned my R Pod for a year and a half now; I am still scared when backing her in, especially my driveway. I have to call ahead to a neighbor so that they will spot for me. I am almost afraid to book a back in site. My Neopolitan Mastiff ties to help, bless her heart, but it is best to ignore her directional signals :-) I have learned to kill all distractions, noises like the radio etc. I can back in to a spot in a large parking lot on my own ( if there is nothing around I could possibly hit ) but that's the extent of it. I agree with everyone, hands on the bottom of the steering wheel and lots of practice. Cheers
Doll House Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:53 PM   #45
That's an excellent video for anyone who has trouble backing into a spot thanks for posting it

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #46
Great info and suggestions !
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #47
Here is the best video that helped the most on how to back in a site

Mcstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #48
Baking up a 5th wheel isn't the same as back up a trailer
RickRed52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #49
Smile Back up camera

The best $100.00 ever spent was for an after market camera. Don't bother with a wireless one reception is bad. DH has a very hard time with left and right. So I do most of the backing. We wired the camera power to the running lights and ran the video cable down thru the ladder, under the camper with stick-on cable clips, up thru the front compartment, then thru front wall with adapter, more clips to the king pin. Cable in truck was run under the seat out the back of the truck ( two more thru wall adapters for truck body and truck bed). As long as your head lights are on the camera works. Some cameras even have sound. Ebay is the best deals on all components needed.
Now just practice.
KarenDLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:58 AM   #50
I purchased my Georgetown Class A at Lazydays RV Center. They offer free driving classes every month for both TTs and MHs.

lludvig is offline   Reply With Quote