Old 08-11-2015, 02:10 AM   #51
I find that the roads to the site are very narrow so that when you do back up a TT, the front of the truck can get into trouble. If it doesn't go in one way, go around and try the other way. What I learnt is book a site with an another site across the way. The rest comes with experience

Bob & Kelley
2015 Flagstaff 26RBSS
2014 FORD F-150 Supercrew 4x4
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg

2015(36 nights) 2016(37 nights so far)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:16 AM   #52
Just a member
Originally Posted by RickRed52 View Post
Backing up a 5th wheel isn't the same as backing up a trailer
Not true. The pivot points differ but the physics associated with moving (backing) that fiver or TT RV with the TV are identical. The trick, which takes practice, is understanding how your particular TV will translate front wheel turn input into RV rotation about the pivot point. Fivers react quicker to inputs because the pivot is closer to the front end of the TV - they're more maneuverable. TTs are slower to respond to steering input and can be obnoxious to back when they're 30+ ft. Much of the input within this thread has recommended finding a somewhere to practice backing into a supposed camp site. I strongly endorse that. Practice, practice and then... practice! You're the only one that can ultimately define and hone your ability to master this backing up thing.

Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:11 AM   #53
Originally Posted by RickRed52 View Post
I purchased a Rock wood 2503s. It's the first trailer I've had in decades. I'm terrible with backing into sites. I wish there was a class available to take. I've watched a dozen YouTube videos but that hasn't done much to improve my skills. Is there a good book to read, a class to take, or tips experienced folks could share?
I used to have a hard time backing up using my mirrors. I got confused with the hand on the bottom of the wheel technique. I saw this video on YouTube from an old trucker and like he says, it was a revelation for me. I now back like pro. See if it hepls you.

2011 Coachman Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4 SUPER DUTY 6.2L Gas 4WD SuperCab XL 3.73 rear / 158" WB / 8' bed. Factory anti-sway and brake controller
crunchman12001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #54
One basic thing to remember...when backing, turn the wheel in the opposite direction to the way you want the backend to go. That is the hardest thing for people to get used to. Find a large, fairly empty parking lot (large church on off days) and practice trying to get it backed into a parking spot. I have suggested this to quite a few people and all of them said it helped quite a bit. Good luck!
Ben and Doreen
Home Away From Home - 2017 PT Crusader 315RST
TV - 2008 F250 Lariat 4X4 6.4 Diesel
42 nights camping in 2015
49 nights so far in 2016 (Still Not Enough!)
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #55
My wife has been my spotter for all the years we have pulled a trailer. I use the mirrors, and listen to her directions. Never have any trouble, unless someone else takes her place, or I use a different tow vehicle. The wheelbase of the tow-car can make a big difference in the ease of backing into sites. When I pulled my PUP with the old Jeep Cherokee, I had all kinds of trouble, but my Pacifica tamed the beast and now I can almost back in with my eyes closed. I'll miss that car when it's done! It has over 130k miles on it, and shows no signs of giving up yet!
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #56
For me, the sooner I can see with my driver's side rearview mirror the better. Don't try to swing it in there on the first attempt. Back up, pull forward a little and get it as straight as possible. Make sure your spotter can see whatever mirror you are using at the time, so you can see them. Stay calm and have a laugh. Everyone that watches you has had problems also. Give 'em a show. But, practice if you need to. The most important thing is how far to go past your site before you stop and start backing. You need to know how much distance it takes to get your trailer turning and give it a chance to turn.
5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #57
Put the rear wheels of your tow vehicle in the center of the space you will pull into. That is your starting point.
Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Grey Wolf 26RR
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 4X4
This is going to be a new adventure. 35 Days camping in 2015!!
ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #58
And park as close as you can parallel to the opening across the site to line everything up.
Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Grey Wolf 26RR
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 4X4
This is going to be a new adventure. 35 Days camping in 2015!!
ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #59
Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
When my DW was learning how to back our TT, she said the best advice I gave her was to turn the BOTTOM of the steering wheel in the same direction you want the rear of the trailer to go and not having to remember to go opposite from the top. This was her first attempt to back it. Now she wants to park it all the time....which is fine with me. lol Now I just tell her when to stop.
We have a rearview camera on the back of the unit, but it's totally worthless. Needs a signal amplifier, but don't think they make such.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Tuned
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:15 AM   #60
I've never had any issues backing anything but we learned at an early age in 4-H. Back in those days they had tractor driving as one of the thing you could do.

They had a 4 wheel wagon class and 2 wheel trailer class. Local, regional, semi state and state competition.

In our business we have to back large trailers behind our trucks into tight & close spaces.

The one thing I would add is for the driver & spotter to have a definite understanding what the spotters hand signal means. In my case I have the spotter point either left or right. Whatever way the spotter points is the direction that the REAR of the trailer needs to go

Our case requires that we get within inches not feet of where we need to be.

The other thing. Just practice.

CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote