Old 08-12-2015, 06:17 AM   #61
Originally Posted by Pod2Vibe View Post
Practice in the biggest empty parking lot you can find, prior to your next trip.
YEP, what he said!!!!!!!

Days camping (2015)----88 days
Days camping (2016) ---110 days
2016 Wildcat MAXX 28RKX (33' TT), 2007 13' Scamp
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #62
Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Not true. The pivot points differ but the physics associated with moving (backing) that fiver or TT RV with the TV are identical. The trick, which takes practice, is understanding how your particular TV will translate front wheel turn input into RV rotation about the pivot point. Fivers react quicker to inputs because the pivot is closer to the front end of the TV - they're more maneuverable. TTs are slower to respond to steering input and can be obnoxious to back when they're 30+ ft. Much of the input within this thread has recommended finding a somewhere to practice backing into a supposed camp site. I strongly endorse that. Practice, practice and then... practice! You're the only one that can ultimately define and hone your ability to master this backing up thing.

Then there is the Reese revolution that pivots from the pin box not the hitch on my 5th Wheel.

Dan and Deb

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #63
My DH and I had the same problem . We took a Sunday when schools are closed to go to the school parking lot and practice backing into a space. I would spot for my DH and he would spot for me. We used the cell phones on speaker as walkie talkies. After several turns each we were much more comfortable and successful backing on. Each trip this year has been easier. As they say, Practice makes perfect.
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #64
My problem when backing my FW into a site is that I don't how much do I jack the FW. I probably over do it and make it harder to than necessary.

I don't know at what point to start turning the wheel in the opposite direction while backing. I get into the site but it is pure luck. I know how to turn the wheel to get RV going the direction I want. I just don't know how much.

Toyota Tundra V8 iForce 5.7
Crusader 295RST FW
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #65
I appreciate all who responded. I've decided to invest in training. I have specific issues with backing up not at all related to understanding which way to turn the wheel. I need to know how to approach a campsite. How to align the trailer to back in, when it's best to move forward and try again, knowing how to position the trailer when you do that and when it's a good idea to unhitch straighten out the vehicle and back in.
Practice is good, training and then practice is a better way to go. Thanks again for all the responses and video links.
RickRed52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #66
You might try a set of walkie talkies. Might help
2016 Flagstaff 27VRL Emerald
14K Equalizer
2014 GMC 2500HD CC 4X4 6.0L
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #67
The biggest problem for me is not knowing how much I can turn before the back of the truck contacts the trailer frame or body. I could probably go farther than I do, but I'm always scared I'm going to cause damage to something.

DW is constantly running around checking the back of the trailer and the back of the truck. This really makes the whole process more frustrating than it needs to be for me. I've been trying to figure out a trick for it. Maybe a mirror something would help, but it's something to keep in mind.
2015 Wildwood 26TBSS
2007 Nissan Titan
IchLiebeBier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #68
Best advice I got for not getting direction confused when backing a trailer with your mirrors, I got from my 23yo daughter 9 weeks ago. I'd just picked up our first/New 16BHS, She offered ...Dad, when the trailer is moving into the wrong mirror, Swing your hands and wheel towards that mirror to "Bump" the trailer into the other, Perfect backing record through 5 outings (and returns to tight driveway).
Side note: she was just beginning an eight week course to become a truck driver. Graduated last Friday near top of her class and I'm very proud of her. Life's an adventure.
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:19 AM   #69
Just a member
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
The biggest problem for me is not knowing how much I can turn before the back of the truck contacts the trailer frame or body.
Beer lover,

Find a place to set up the TV and TT such that the TT is positioned at the max safe angle relative to the TV. Shopping center parking lots work well for this. With the TT positioned at the sharpest, safest angle relative to the TV, place a strip of contrasting tape, vertically, on the front of the TT and aligned so that the sight picture in your mirrors shows the tape just coming into view along the side of the TV. Do this for both sides and when backing that TT into that shoe horn site, you'll know that you've reached the max angle when that tape comes into view. You can also do this with any specific reference point on the front of the TT.
Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:23 AM   #70
This week an employee of the campground recommended I remove everything and toe the trailer attached to the ball. He said I'd have more flexibility. I was wondering if this was dangerous

RickRed52 is offline   Reply With Quote