Old 08-18-2015, 03:40 AM   #71
Pockets

If I know the campground has narrow roads and lots of corners, I remove the WD and anti-sway bars at the office. It does give you more flexibility. You will be towing at a slower speed from the office to the site. But watch out for those pesky traffic control bumps. Go slow over those or your hitch will bottom out.

3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg

2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(138)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:34 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Beer lover,

Find a place to set up the TV and TT such that the TT is positioned at the max safe angle relative to the TV. Shopping center parking lots work well for this. With the TT positioned at the sharpest, safest angle relative to the TV, place a strip of contrasting tape, vertically, on the front of the TT and aligned so that the sight picture in your mirrors shows the tape just coming into view along the side of the TV. Do this for both sides and when backing that TT into that shoe horn site, you'll know that you've reached the max angle when that tape comes into view. You can also do this with any specific reference point on the front of the TT.
Genius. Thanks!

Old 08-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #73

Something that helped me was thinking how easy it is to drive OUT of a spot. So I envisioned what it would look like if I was driving out of the spot, and try to do that in reverse. Helped me backing into my driveway, where it is not a straight shot.

Mike
Old 08-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #74

I still have no idea how to approach the site and how to position the trailer after 8 pages of suggestions
Old 08-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRed52 View Post
I still have no idea how to approach the site and how to position the trailer after 8 pages of suggestions
Then I'm guessing you may not have watched the video I posted several pages back? They cover this pretty straight up. I've adopted his teaching and my backing is now amazing. OK, I'm saying that myself but it has improved a lot. Watch the video and then go practice. That trailer won't back itself in no matter how bad you want it to!

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #76

Well pull past your site, have your trailer rear axle just a 2-3 feet past site. You will want to stay close to the side the site is on. This gives you space for your TV to swing out and around. You can do a little snake-ing maneuver as you pull up to your site. What this does is gets the rear of the trailer pointed into the site right from the start. This will make it easier but it is not necessary.So lets say site is on the right (not sure the length of your rig so..) so as your TV gets close to site turn right a few feet. Then immediately turn left and finish by turning right again and stopping just a few after the site. This will take practice to learn your turning radius and tow rig length. Short trailers react faster than longer ones. Does that help you any? But really its all about getting out there and doing it and find what works for you. There is not a clear cut answer every site is different. Each will have its own challenges and obstacles. Remember this, Before it sounds expensive seek help.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 20 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #77

Backing in to sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Beer lover,

Find a place to set up the TV and TT such that the TT is positioned at the max safe angle relative to the TV. Shopping center parking lots work well for this. With the TT positioned at the sharpest, safest angle relative to the TV, place a strip of contrasting tape, vertically, on the front of the TT and aligned so that the sight picture in your mirrors shows the tape just coming into view along the side of the TV. Do this for both sides and when backing that TT into that shoe horn site, you'll know that you've reached the max angle when that tape comes into view. You can also do this with any specific reference point on the front of the TT.

Good idea... Or if your TV has a backup camera on the tailgate make sure to look at it often when getting close to jack knifing.

I simply pull way ahead of the site and pick the mirror on the inside of the turn and guide the trailer to the front corner of the parking pad then cut it in there. A class is only going to get you so far. Nothing but practice is going to make you successful. If a class is needed to get you enough confidence to start practicing, then by all means take the class. The only thing that makes you better is practicing. Go slow, take your time and get out of the TV to check things out. If you're blocking traffic.. Who cares. At some point those people didn't know what in the cr@p they were doing either. Most campsites we have been to.. if people are around they are more than willing to help.

There is no standard answer as to how far to pull up or when to start cutting. You do need to at least pull forward enough to be able to start turning, But remember each TV is different with different trailers. Once you get a feel, you will be whipping it in there.

Another suggestion is borrow someone's larger utility trailer. You can take it to a parking lot and be able to see all corners of it and what's behind it. This will give you a lot more confidence before you hook up to a camper and have to go blind behind it using side view mirrors only.

It could be worse... You could have taken up fishing and be trying to put a boat in the water down a skinny ramp in the middle of 5 other trucks all trying to get in the water before daylight. At least your backing into a campsite with mostly easy going people around that should be there to relax.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:50 PM   #78

With help from the staff I've successfully backed into 4 sites but they've basically told me what to do rather than teach me. I will be looking into a class but some family matters came up and it looks like it will be a few months before I'll see my RV again.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #79

i was able to back in our 5th wheel for the first time last night.
Dont tell DW but I was about as confident as a squirral looking for a nut hidden in concrete.
We had a buddy of mine back it 3 weeks ago in the seasonal lot (25yrs of transport driving experience) but i figured we couldnt count on him if we went for 5 or 6 days hauling soooo... in it went.
I watched the video clips on the internet and printed off the Z method sheets describing how to do it.

I learned with a tow behind with 2 horses in side then a tow behind trailer so this didnt seem it would be that difficult.

after a few adjustments it was being unhooked right on top of where my friend had placed it. I know becaseu the matts we left were directly below the steps AGAIN...

Remember
practice makes permenant.
not always a good thing.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #80
Explorer

Lots of help on this site and you’ll find the same friendly help in the campgrounds.
I didn’t see a post for using “driver side” and “passenger side”, right and left is always subjective.
I tell my spotter to never be quiet; keep information coming even when its “looking good”. Your too tight, so many feet closer to ___ side, straighten up, follow it around, nice and slow, keep coming, watch the front of truck, lots of room back here, STOP. And no matter what, I always say Thank You once we’re in.
I love the glove marks the spot, everyone needs a defined, agreed upon and thought out landing spot.
Day light is always better than night.
Slow down and enjoy
John

43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote