Old 08-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
Backing in to sites

I purchased a Rock wood 2503s. It's the first trailer I've had in decades. I'm terrible with backing into sites. I wish there was a class available to take. I've watched a dozen YouTube videos but that hasn't done much to improve my skills. Is there a good book to read, a class to take, or tips experienced folks could share?

RickRed52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
the basics behind it are simple, the rest is just practice

David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Just take it slow & easy & have some one spot for you. It will get easier with practice. Good luck & happy camping.

By the way, welcome from NE Fla.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
I need to understand how to position the trailer before backing in.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
Here are some of the things I learned by trial and error.
1) make sure you are well past the site you need to turn into and make sure you have space for your vehicle to follow the trailer in an arc.
2) invest in really good extension mirrors so you can see what you are doing
3) keep your hands on the bottom of the steering wheel. If you do that the rear of your trailer will swing the way your hands move.
4) Once you are "into" the space and roughly centred "follow" the trailer with your tow vehicle
5) find somewhere that no one is watching and practice
good luck
toad on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
itch'n to road trip
Rickred52... there is a class!! Check out RV Driving School... I took a lesson and it was well worth the $$ and time.
RV School

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga. -
Nights camped Not Enough 2014: 8 2015: 2
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
Happy Camper
If space allows, swing wide to line up when approaching you site.
Pull up as far as you can to (hopefully) allow seeing your destination in your mirrors.
From there backing is "turn steering right to have the trailer go left" and visa versa.
ALWAYS "Go Slow". Any traffic waiting has "been there and done that" so they will be patient and probably offer help if needed.

Using a spotter is good but can be confusing if they are not good at their task. The best they are for is when to stop and to be sure you have room for any slides to fully extend. Lining you up with the power & water post helps too.
Johntgif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #8
Well, I have something to admit here. DH and I have struggled with backing in our approximately 40 ft 5th wheel. It has taken up to over an hour to get it in our spot at the storage facility. Last time we had to do it, the batteries on the walkie talkies were dead. So we decided to use our cel phones. I've got to tell you, I was in fear for my life when I tried to turn mine on and had to tell DH that it was dead too. He just looked at me and said "Well just yell if I'm going to hit the RV on either side of our spot. Did that and it worked so much better. Then again did the same thing. He looked on the driver's side while backing up, I yelled while positioned on the passenger side if he got too close to that rv or the fence on the border of our spot. Took 10 minutes to back up and park, another 15 to unblock, lock up and take off. Best personal time ever. So my only advice is that everybody needs to work out their own system. Best of wishes to you. And listen to those more experienced than us, watch videos, maybe take some classes if they are available in your area and have some good insurance, just in case. And have fun, like we are after our first 4 outings!!
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 360 IBL
2014 Ram 3500 Turbo Diesel 6.7 4wd Crew Cab Dually
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #9
Practice in the biggest empty parking lot you can find, prior to your next trip.
2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped
TOAD: 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #10
I'm calling a few driving schools to see if they offer something