Old 01-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post

Except he says the smell goes away when he plugs the drain.
Indicating that the trap seal has been compromised either by drying out, or by being "pulled down" or siphoned when waste water passes due to lack of venting.

Plugging the drain contains the grey tank odor the same way the water trap should.

2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2011 F150 Super Crew 4x4 5.0L - Traded!
2016 F350 Lariat Ultimate Super Duty Crew Cab 4X4
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:21 AM   #12
Send a message via Skype™ to Dojomom
Thanks, everyone. After I put two cups of Calgon and a cup of Dawn down the kitchen sink, the smell abated. I also put a capful of Calgon into the bathroom sink. I have decided that I need to flush more water down the sinks each day. Some odor lingers in the walls and the upholstery, but that's an easy fix! Both tanks empty faster after this treatment.

Dojomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
Head Rambler
I'd still do a little investigation if it were me. You shouldn't have any odor from the tanks in the unit if the seals are working correctly.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #14
When traveling, I put a plug in the bath tub drain; if I don’t the water from the p-trap sloshes out and then it can smell. My bathroom is in the back of the trailer and probably bounces the most, plus I believe the shower p-trap is the shortest. Plug keeps any smell out and when we stop I add water to fill P-trap, problem solved.
My thoughts are that we use as little water as possible in everything we do leaving lots of organics to decompose in the traps and grey tank. Three times a year(at home), I take a 5gl bucket filled with hot water and dish soap and dump it down every drain, even both sides of the double sink. I just think it helps.
Once I even had bubbles coming out of the grey water roof vent, that was kind of funny.
2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
2004 Yukon XL Denali
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #15
I had that problem and solved it by first ensuring my traps were working properly and then adding a Cyclone vent to the plumbing vent on the roof.
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #16
I had the problem and thought something died under my cupboards . It turned out to be the shower drain had a different type of check valve to keep the odors and sewer gases out of the trailer. I had some type of silicone flap valve in it and the wifes hair from shampooing went down the drain and was holding the valve open and tank odors were getting into the trailer. I just unscrews and I cleaned the hair out of it and the odor was gone.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:49 AM   #17
Gold Miner At Heart
Let us know what you find.
“I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:05 AM   #18
Send a message via Skype™ to Dojomom
Thank-you all. These are the measures I have taken, which includes advice I received in this forum and from fellow campers here at the park.

1. My shower is unused, because the camp ground has a much better shower.
2. All the sink and shower drains remain closed unless I'm draining water.
3. After draining and using a wand to clean the black tank, I use only liquid Camco RV Toilet Treatment because it says that it is 100% Biodegradable, and it smells reasonable. The grey tank gets Clorox.
4. Since I am a full-timer, I dump both tanks twice a week according to advice from the dealer, who did come out and check my tanks.
5. Both tanks' outside releases are closed against the park's sewage system until it is time to dump.

My cabinets have retained some smell, but that is slowly dissipating. We keep the windows open in reasonable weather. The strongest smell seems to be coming from underneath the refrigerator and hugs the floor. It will be a major undertaking to get under there, so I haven't taken off the panels, yet.

Some days, everything seems to be fine. I leave for the day and come back to a mostly fresh TT. Then on other days, the smell overpowers me. I've even wondered if maybe the two guys in the fiver next to me are really the source of the smell? Their sewer hose is wrapped in duct tape and is five feet from my front door! This problem escalated a month or so after they arrived.

Meanwhile, the measures I listed above seem to be helping as long as my daughter and I do them religiously.

Before I got old, I thought having an actual tent instead of just a tarp was luxury camping. I'm enjoying 25' travel trailer.
Dojomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #19
Sorry, I'm a little late on this thread.

As for bleach, be careful not to use too much too many times in a row. I found out that a heavy dose of bleach can ruin the glues used in some black plastic (ABS?) drains. Too much bleach destroyed my condo drain connections.

As for my trailer, when I have the sewer hooked up, I create a "P" trap configuration in the sewer hose by raising the hose higher than the low point somewhere along it's path and leaving the grey water drain T-handle open. That way, there's always some grey water in the sewer hose to keep the sewer smells from entering the grey tank. This allows us to use the grey water drain without having to worry of the water level in the grey tank. I found this method on a You Tube channel.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:47 PM   #20
If your shower is unused the water in the P trap will evaporate. You may get a noise when your sink drains depending on connection but will certainly get air from the sewer / sewer hose / gray tank. Water needs down drains to keep P traps full.

2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote