Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2015, 07:18 AM   #1

Battery disconnect

Who all runs a battery disconnect on their travel trailer I'm thinking about installing one on my 2013 EVO.
jaymo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
clr

I installed a battery disconnect in mine as well as a second battery bank on my 5th wheel.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #3

We paralleled 2 12volt batteries this weekend. I would assume that if we use our quick disconnect it would disconnect both batteries. Is this right? Also, is NEG always grounded? We did not remove NEG from original battery. Sandy
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
We paralleled 2 12volt batteries this weekend. I would assume that if we use our quick disconnect it would disconnect both batteries. Is this right? Also, is NEG always grounded? We did not remove NEG from original battery. Sandy
I have the same set-up and the disconnect is in-line from batteries to trailer. Cuts all power to coach but not tongue jack, so I just pull the fuse on it.
Gmar60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
Site Team

i do. bought a green knob disconnect switch at Walmart for about $4.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #6

Mine came with a BCO inside on the bed platform (close to the floor)

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #7

I use a Wirthco Battery doctor switch for 2 batteries. It's easy to install and easy to use to disconnect the battery (technically, to cut power to the trailer).
Old 09-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #8

Put the disconnect on the negative wire. If the insulation wears through or,something rubs through, it will not short out. The worst it can do is complete the circuit without the massive sparks.
Priusron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #9

If the disconnect is at the battery, it wouldn't matter. BUT, if you ran from battery to disconnect and back, I would heartily advice putting it on the negative (for negative ground applications).

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #10

I have a Perko disconnect switch on both house battery and solar battery bank. I can run the TT off of one battery or combine them and run it off 4 batteries. Switches and fuses should be used where ever possible to avoid shorts and running the batteries down while in storage.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:41 AM   #11

I had a previous TT for some five years or so. I am one who leaves the TT hooked up to electrical service when at home. The main reason is that it gets really hot down here and we have high humidity. I noticed quite a few little things in the previous TT that were caused by this high heat and humidity. Leaving the A/C on and set to 80 degrees sure helps with this problem. One thing I did learn was that the inverter (or is it converter?) would fry the battery on the TT in about 8 or 9 months even though it was supposedto monitor the battery. When I was shopping for the new TT I mentioned this to the salesperson and he told me that IF I were to leave the unit hooked up electrically for the purpose of running the A/C I should install a battery disconnect to prevent the battery from being overcharged. I did this on the new TT. I bought one that has a sort of "key" wit it. A large red key thingy. I mounted a 4x4 electrical box directly onto the end of the battery box and mounted the key into the cover for this box. The hot wire enters the electrical box, is attached to the switch then leaves the elec. box and goes to the battery post. I painted the elec. box black so that it would not stand out much like a neon sign and all works well with this set-up. I have a large round key ring mounted on the handle of the key so I can hang it inside the TT when not using it. When the battery current is turned on the key cannot be removed, only when the circuit is disonnected.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:24 AM   #12
Just a member

Indeed, consider it a practical and necessary addition to the RV's electrical system. Installed one of these up underneath the front of the rig. Hard to see unless you know where to look. Wired to disconnect everything.
Attached Images

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #13

The charger built into the converter is junk. Find the make and model of the inverter. Search for a multistage charger for the inverter. Most can be upgraded to a 4 stage charger. Some allow you to adjust the values. My converter is turned off. I use solar panels and currently have the charger for my inverter turned on as I am parked under some trees. They work well together.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priusron View Post
The charger built into the converter is junk. Find the make and model of the inverter. Search for a multistage charger for the inverter. Most can be upgraded to a 4 stage charger. Some allow you to adjust the values. My converter is turned off. I use solar panels and currently have the charger for my inverter turned on as I am parked under some trees. They work well together.
You keep mixing INVERTER and CONVERTER in this blurb. They are two very different things. The word INVERTER should NOT be anywhere in this blurb.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:10 AM   #15

Battery disconnect on the outside of my battery box. Easy to access in an emergency

Rbertalotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
Sandy you need to hook -up the the neg from the first battery to the second and then from the second to ground. If you need to charge the batteries do it the same way positive to the first battery and negative to the second. Your disconnect will disconnect both, but change the ground to the second battery. DO NOT GROUND THE FIRST BATTERY

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priusron View Post
The charger built into the converter is junk. Find the make and model of the converter. Search for a multistage charger for the converter. Most can be upgraded to a 4 stage charger. Some allow you to adjust the values. My converter is turned off. I use solar panels and currently have the charger for my inverter turned on as I am parked under some trees. They work well together.
There I fixed it. Thanks for pointing out my errors. Where it says inverter I meant inverter. I do not charge from my converter. It is only a backup if the other 2 fail.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect