Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #1

Bent Hitch Pin

Hello Forum Members,

I tried the search function but had no luck.

Do you guys (or gals) ever find that your hitch pins (WDH) bend? This seems to happen more often than I though it ever would. I've had it happen to 3 so far.

A few things come to mind: 1-I'm doing something wrong connecting the TT to the TV; 2-cheap metal used in the making of the hitch pin; and 3-the adjustable weight distribution shank is a little "loose" in the receiver.

I think I read in a past thread someone mentioning that he/she carries a spare hitch pin or two so this leads me to believe I am not alone.

Any thoughts?
Old Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Site Team

If we have are same HDH pins:
I do replace a hitch pin when it doesn't close like it used to (ie: bigger gap). The replacement pins from Lowes seem to last longer. It could be how you are inserting or removing the pin that is causing it to bend but these are not made of super strong material either.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't ever bent a hitch pin. Y'all are talking about the pin put into the tow vehicle receiver that holds the hitch shank in place like this ???

Pin and Clip For Class III, IV and V Trailer Hitch Receiver Hidden Hitch Hitch Accessories PC3

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I haven't ever bent a hitch pin. Y'all are talking about the pin put into the tow vehicle receiver that holds the hitch shank in place like this ???
If that is the same pin mtnguy is talking about, I have used the same one for at least 30 yrs and it is still straight. Haven't lost it because I drilled the hole for the qa pin out to accept a regular padlock. If the hitch isn't locked in it, I have a brass Masonic emblem that is locked in. Don't see how it is possible to bend one even if the receiver is a little loose which mine was and rattled until I drilled and tapped the collar to accept a 3/8-16 bolt which I tightened and stopped the rattle.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #5

No on the Pin#PC3,yes on the Pins#RP6637 for the snapup brackets. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #6

Clip pins for snap bracket part#58029. The number above is for the whole snap bracket assy. Yoyroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

If those square pins are bending, the over center latch is not going over center and automatically locking for some reason or other. The chain centerline should go from the hook at the top to just inside the pivots on the latch which will hold the latch tight against the tongue frame. If the centerline of the chain is outside the latch pivots, all the load in on the square pins at the top which would bend them for sure. They are not made to hold that load. Something is bent on the latch assy or the rod that sticks out at the top that you put the handle on is bent and is contacting the frame and preventing the latch from going over center. If that is the case, it will have to be heated and bent toward the outside to allow the latch to go over center. JMO.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Jeeper View Post
Hello Forum Members,

Do you guys (or gals) ever find that your hitch pins (WDH) bend? This seems to happen more often than I though it ever would. I've had it happen to 3 so far.

A few things come to mind: 1-I'm doing something wrong connecting the TT to the TV; 2-cheap metal used in the making of the hitch pin; and 3-the adjustable weight distribution shank is a little "loose" in the receiver.

I think I read in a past thread someone mentioning that he/she carries a spare hitch pin or two so this leads me to believe I am not alone.

Any thoughts?

This OP is talking about the 5/8" dia pin holding the hitch shank in the receiver I think.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Jeeper View Post
Hello Forum Members,

Any thoughts?
I carry spare pins but mostly due to in case of losing one (or more) and also if someone decides to have a bit of fun at my expense. In time the opening gap will become larger so I will replace it. I think its because I use a pin instead of a lock in the slider. I also carry a set of anti-sway pins too just in case. I think the cost of these pins are something like 78 cents each at Lowes.

In your case a picture would be helpful to see what is happening.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent