Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #21

Well being a retired US Navy man, we use the Navy method of showering ... and it works well. !. wet your self down,turn off shower; 2. Soap up everything; 3. turn on shower and rinse well. As far as what product; we use a body wash gel that we both can stand using such as Bath and Body works products. As for a hair product I use a an AXE shampoo/conditioner DW adds one more rinse cycle for using separate products. My 43 gal water tank can last for more than a few days using this method. Happy trails ......

John & Bev, out of Florahome, FL
2016 Rockwood 2604WS (Emerald)
2012 F-150 CC tow w/5.0L
Maggie May the minny wonder wiener dog
fluidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #22

Dry Shampoo

You might want to consider Dry Shampoo. We use it only when we are dry camping which sometimes is up to 14 days. We are cognizant of our water levels and the use amount required to rinse out three women's long. So water always is an issue after a few days. We use the Dry shampoo for most of the two-week to three week period but do use a real shampoo once each week. It really helps me conserve water in the tanks. We have tried a few different kinds but like this one. Give it a try, my daughter even uses the stuff at home now. It took a bit for the women to try it but now they are good to go with it. https://www.amazon.com/Rene-Furterer...er+dry+shampoo
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #23
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Originally Posted by TonyD
Real boondockers shave their heads to the skin before a camping trip removing the need or shampoo or conditioner. DW wears a wig while it grows back.

Oh boy, I'm getting long blonde dreads for me.
I have been wondering what the charm is of an oxygenics shower head.
Also, the aquatech water diverter sounds like a must have and It's only $60!!
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #24

When boondocking we take navy showers just like everyone else. We shower every day. DW washes her hair with her regular products every other day if she can stand it
We use the puffs instead of wash cloth. Our shower is also a shallow tub so we close the drain and use that water to rinse the puff. Also you can tell how much water you used

110 gallons of fresh per week is usually what we use for everything. I carry refillable fresh water containers so we are never hurting for water. Most places we camp we can dump gray water on the ground.

Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #25

Just throwing this out there.
Dawn blue dish soap. Yes I'm a guy. But try it sometime at home a shave with it also. Works awesome.
So anyway lots of people put this in there grey tanks, so showering with it makes it duel purpose. Don't forget this product is widely used to treat wildlife and that works for me.
john5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:46 PM   #26

Another vote for the Pantene 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner. I have also used Pert which works great.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5646 View Post
Just throwing this out there.
Dawn blue dish soap. Yes I'm a guy. But try it sometime at home a shave with it also. Works awesome.
So anyway lots of people put this in there grey tanks, so showering with it makes it duel purpose. Don't forget this product is widely used to treat wildlife and that works for me.
Great idea and you can save your rinsewater for soaking your dishes.

One thing we also do is add a little bleach to our fresh water tanks. It really helps us stay fresher between showers-I'm not joking as was about shaving our hair.

We also carry spare water which we pump into our fresh water tank as needed.

We used a cheap Harbor Freight water pump 12 Volt Marine Utility Water Pump with hose attachments and power cord modifications that allow us to pump water into the tank easily.

Here is what we did to the pump:
. Made a very long power extension cord (long enough to reach battery bank in front of camper) with various power plug options each using Anderson Pole power plus
** One plug is standard battery alligator plug that can attach to battery terminals
** One plug is a 12 volt plug (cigarette lighter style) that I can plug into a running ATV as backup power
** One plug goes into a waterproof 12 volt jack that I installed on the camper wall right next to the fresh fill tube.
** One plug is designed to plug into the 12 volt output on my generator.

Both sides of pump have a hose quick connect/disconnect fitting for ease of use.

Hose output to tank has a camoco rv water tank filler which allows hose to stay put when feeding water to tank-no need to hold hose: Camco RV Water Tank Filler with Hose | Sportsman's Warehouse

Entire setup is stored in a clear tupperware container type that has a carry handle and stores easily.
I think it is safe to say that I have enough power options that I don't need to worry about not having a way to fill my water tank.

Get the cheaper Harbor Freight 12 volt water pump. It draws much less amperage at 12 volts (5 amps) then the more expensive one which draws more than 10 amps. The cheaper pump has 23 ft of head pressure and that is enough to run a long water hose from the back of your truck bed to the fill hole. Pulling those 7 gallon Walmart purchased water containers is a bit difficult for me because my F350 is very tall and I'm not.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #28

I'm going to be trying these at home to decide if they work camping....use kids (L'Oreal) spray in, leave in detangler instead of conditioner most days, and now try to go every other day, with fine shoulder length hair
blue river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:02 PM   #29

https://nohboball.com oops forgot the link....
blue river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #30
Site Team

I don't like them at home but for camping Dove shampoo & conditioner tends to work good on my hair. Rinse off before shampooing, turn water on to rinse. Turn water back off again before adding a small amount of conditioner. I do use a puff (not the tightly knotted type) with a little bit of body wash. Turn water back on to rinse.

The 2-in-1 shampoo & conditioners can save you some water. Also I like the dry shampoo suggestion. Without trying it I have to say that I'm not crazy about the blue Dawn soap suggestion since it can be on the harsh side for longer hair plus could take more water to rinse out.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #31

Navy shower does the trick. I'm not a long shower person anyway, so the quick spit Navy shower works for me. DH is learning to conserve.
The baby wipes are great for a quick freshen up. I will be looking for the pre-soaped wipes mentioned by a previous poster. That would eliminate the annoyance of dropping the soap in the tiny RV shower.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #32

X2 on Pert Plus. They used to make a 3in1 that was also a body wash, but I think it was the same thing in a different (more expensive) container. When using campground shower, I'll use the 2in1 instead of carrying a bar of soap along, and it works great.

Tags
show, shower