Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #41

Send a message via Skype™ to Dojomom
I grew up in South Texas, so cook and eat Tex-Mex. This is my favorite place for "good food at a good price."

>Restaurant Location: South Texas
>Food Type: Quick, Inexpensive Tex-Mex
>Name: Taco Cabana
>Best Menu Item: Fajita Dinner or Cabana Bowl
>Price Range: $5-$9.95
>Parking: Most have large parking lots which can accommodate motor homes and trailers. Exceptions exist on city streets.
>Comments: It resembles a fast food place and there are many locations, but they do serve alcohol and Mexican sodas. Selections are limited, but in my experience, the food is authentic and always good no matter which one I visit. Tortillas and other food stuffs are prepared on site and not shipped frozen from a main supplier.

Before I got old, I thought having an actual tent instead of just a tarp was luxury camping. I'm enjoying 25' travel trailer.
Dojomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #42

As mentioned before Jack Stack BBQ several locations around KC. Jim's Steak House @ Pittsburg, KS. Lambert s in Ozark MO, and Hogfish Grill, Key West.
Nomadbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
Lambert's off of I-55 and I-57 in Sikeston Mo. is a fun place to go, with great food. If you leave hungry, it's your own fault. The guys can throw rolls across the restaurant.

Lambert's Cafe - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls - Sikeston, MO | Ozark, MO | Foley, AL

X2 on Lambert's!! We hit it on the way home from Goshen.

When in Bandera, Texas try Busbee's Bar-B-Q. This pic is from lunch today!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455488093.517154.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	99601

Sent (I think)

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #44

The best Rv campground restaurant I ever ate in was in Charlemont Ma. on RT 2. The Mohawk Campground and Restaurant. Home cooking and everything is fresh. My MIL ate there once and said she had eaten in 5 star restaurants that weren't as good.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:27 PM   #45

Restaurant Location: McAllen, Tx
>Food Type: Tamales
>Name: Dalias Tamales
>Best Menu Item: authentic and famous beef and chicken tamales
>Price Range: $6 per dozen
>Parking: typical fast food style drive through

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #46

Sweet rolls anyone? London KENTUCKY is home to a Flowers Bakery Outlet. Up the hill behind the Outlet they make 80,000 (yes, eighty thousand) cinnamon rolls per hour, daily! $1.50 per bag. 12 small or 6 large. They are usually still warm! I should weigh 600 pounds.
If you are in Brooksville FL. try the FLORIDA CRACKER CAFE on Jefferson St. My favorite is Shrimp and Grits for breakfast. Good burgers, fish tacos, heck it's all good.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #47
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
Lambert's off of I-55 and I-57 in Sikeston Mo. is a fun place to go, with great food. If you leave hungry, it's your own fault. The guys can throw rolls across the restaurant.

Lambert's Cafe - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls - Sikeston, MO | Ozark, MO | Foley, AL

Lamberts is awesome. They ain't happy till you're full enough to puke.

In the STL area.

Breakfast: Boardwalk Café.

Fried Chicken: Hodaks.

BBQ: Pappy's, though some heathens prefer Super Smokers

Italian: just about any place on "the Hill" but I like any place owned by the Gianino family

BLT: Crown Candy Kitchen.

Most fun bar/grill: Fast Eddie's Bon Aire. Cheap as all get-out, and always a good time.

Pizza: Imo's if you are from STL. Pi pizzeria if you are not.

Chinese: Happy China on Dorsett and Fee Fee

Steak: $$ Tuckers. $$$$ Carmines

Desert: Ted Drew's Frozen Custard or anything from The Blue Owl

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post

Chinese: Happy China on Dorsett and Fee Fee

Tim
Love that place...
I do not think it is owned by the old man anymore. The old man was old school.

Went once with co-workers for lunch and when we were in a long line to pay, saw the old man look past the customer with the credit card out, and ask the customer behind him to step up next as he had cash in hand.

A big screaming match started with the old man and the customer with the CC. It ended with the old man telling the CC customer in broken English, "You just leave now round eye, you no come back!".

I understand the merchant preferring cash totally. I got it, always pay cash at mom & pop stores. But I still LMAO when I think about it.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #49
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Love that place...

Went once with co-workers for lunch and when we were in a long line to pay, saw the old man look past the customer with the credit card out, and ask the customer behind him to step up next as he had cash in hand.

A big screaming match started with the old man and the customer with the CC. It ended with the old man telling the CC customer in broken English, "You just leave now round eye, you no come back!".

I understand the merchant preferring cash totally. I got it, always pay cash at mom & pop stores. But I still LMAO when I think about it.

That's funny, right there! I don't care here who you are!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #50
Broken Toe

Quote:
Love that place...

Don't know if that's the same place. I always saw a rather regal looking older lady who ran the place with the precision of a Prussian Drill Sargent.

It's a buffet, and you NEVER see the food bins less than half full. She has a gooseneck microphone by the cash register that she barks orders to the kitchen on what's running low (and by low, I mean "half empty") . You know how you got to do some 'creative ladling' at the broccoli and beef to get mostly beef? Pah! They put out a tray of what they call "house beef". Not sure what its made of and seasoned with, and I don't care.

What always struck me was that no matter how many times I went, or how busy they were, I never once had to wait for a table. They have a veritable army of bussers and wait staff. It's no exaggeration to say that before you can walk up to the counter and pay, they will have your table cleared, reset and have the next customer seated with his drink order on the way.

Damn. Now I am craving some good Chinese food, and they are too far away to hit at lunch.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #51

If I stop for fuel I try to find a local and ask about where is a great a place that the locals eat at. Most cases it works. I usually like to find the out of the way places that locals eat as they are the best local cuisine. I especially like southern style foods.
Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Georgia I find the best eats.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #52
Camp Bartender

On the way to Gettysburg, well depending on the way you go, you may have to pass through Littlestown, PA, they have a place called Dutterers, they have the BEST BROASTED chicken you will ever eat!

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #53

Quote:
Love that place...

A lot of the family owned places here in NC, BBQ in particular, are cash only. Threw me for a loop when we fist moved here in the early 90's as I hardly ever carried cash.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Thanks for the info everyone! Since this thread can get confusing, perhaps we can build some structure to it so it's easier to search.

Maybe this format
>Restaurant Location: Corpus Christi, TX (So people can see if it near them first)
>Food Type: American, BBQ, Brisket (So people can determine if it's the type of food they want)
>Name: Bar B-Q Man
>Best Menu Item: 1st Brisket!! 2nd Ribs!!, 3rd Sausage
>Price Range: $10-15per person
>Parking: Can Accomidate most vehicles and truck/trailer combos under 50' total ft.
>Comments: Love their Brisket either lean or marbled! Their BBQ Sauce is amazing! Great Customer Service!
Hilton Head Island, SC
American, Italian
Frankie Bones
Braised Beef Ribs or Weinerschnitzel
$20-$25/person
Cars only - very crowded
Service can be a little spotty. Avoid the house wines. Terrific food.
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #55

I-35 at Davis Ok about 2 miles off interstate . Smokin Joe's BBQ
Plenty of parkingClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456022828.172156.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	100003
Also big thumbs up for LambertsClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456022978.309247.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	100004Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456022990.310753.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	100005
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelly View Post
Great idea!

Navarre, FL - The Rib Shack (real barbecue but in a quaint setting, avoid the flashier tourist traps)

Foley, AL - Lambert's Cafe (southern cooking, very good price, fun atmosphere)

Destin, FL - Louisiana Lagniappe (must make a reservation, very fancy place but really good food. Dress up)

Destin, FL - Fudpuckers (super touristy, terribly loud and fun, real alligators you can feed, worth a visit)

Destin, FL - Black Pearl (great seafood, even better view)

Ft. Walton Beach, FL - The Crab Shack (the place to go for authentic crab, great views)

Pensacola, FL - McGuires Irish Pub (live Irish music every night at 9, lots of beers to try, eat off the Irish fare menu. Having been to Ireland, the Irish fare menu is pretty accurate to traditional pub food.)

Fayetteville, NC - Fuller's Buffet (amazing southern cooking, great prices, try the pecan pie!)

Also, if you've never heard of the Yelp! app, download it! It gives reviews, prices, menus, addresses, hours, etc. and you can search by food type or services like hair salons, etc. Lifesaver!
you have literally hit the best spots in these areas.
here is a link to my grandson's first visit at Lambert's

Faces In The Crowd: September 2015
don't forget that Joe Patti's in Pensacola sells crabs etc already boiled.......
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #57

Another Texas Coastal Bender here. A can't-miss favorite of mine in Corpus is Andy's Kitchen. The place has been around forever, rumor is General Santa Anna stopped there for coffee and a muffin on his way west. Regardless, the place is always spotless and makes great old-school breakfast and lunch.
Speaking of breakfast, go past the tourist areas and hunt down some family-owned Mexican joints and you'll find out why Corpus is considered the breakfast taco capital of the world.
I'm with the OP as far as dinner, BBQ is always a no-brainer. I grew up in the Midwest so I've always liked pork in my pit, but beef rules in Texas. You can still get a decent rack of baby backs and pulled pork though, they're finally coming around down here!
Great...now I'm hungry.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #58

The best local seafood restaurant, is at Smithville, NJ. It is the Oyster Creek Restaurant. It is on the water and has both seafood and steaks.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:42 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Another Texas Coastal Bender here. A can't-miss favorite of mine in Corpus is Andy's Kitchen. The place has been around forever, rumor is General Santa Anna stopped there for coffee and a muffin on his way west. Regardless, the place is always spotless and makes great old-school breakfast and lunch.
Speaking of breakfast, go past the tourist areas and hunt down some family-owned Mexican joints and you'll find out why Corpus is considered the breakfast taco capital of the world.
I'm with the OP as far as dinner, BBQ is always a no-brainer. I grew up in the Midwest so I've always liked pork in my pit, but beef rules in Texas. You can still get a decent rack of baby backs and pulled pork though, they're finally coming around down here!
Great...now I'm hungry.
Since you mentioned breakfast, then another hotspot in corpus is Atomic Omelette. Try their Corn flake French Toast or the Atomic Omelette.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #60
Retired

Well all this talk about eateries is making me hungry.
If you are planning a trip to Bar Harbor ME or Maritime Canada a must stop is Dysart's Truck Stop in Hermon, ME...I95 exit 180....easy on & off. Plenty of parking for your TT, fuel, service and one of the best dinners you will eat at. All home cooking, local produce, fresh seafood/meat, and the bake beans are not from a can. If you like desert...eat desert first! If you plan a stop over check out the Pumpkin Patch just a few miles from Dysart's

Happy Trails