Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #1

Better Blocks

Not sure if this is the right section, but seemed the most appropriate.
We have our first TT. Have owned several motor homes before.
We are just getting to the one month mark of ownership of our Salem and have taken several trips with no real issues.
While putting it in the driveway this weekend, I got her backed in as usual.
My driveway is slight downhill and slopes some to the left, so I already knew I would be putting one of my better blocks under each wheel on that side.
Got it all done, back up on them, my TV is slightly jackknifed to the trailer, but always end up this way, so no worries.
I get a stack of 4 of the blocks out, put them under the tongue jack up front, lower it down on them, it isn't exactly centered, but figure it is ok, not bad. Mistake No. 1 Maybe a 5 degree slant to the left.
I start to unhook from the truck and realize I had no chocks under the tires. Stop what I am doing, throw a chock under one of the tires on the downhill side, no problem. Mistake number 2
Once the truck is unhooked, I watch the tongue jack start to slide across the better blocks.
As you can imagine, panic is setting in as my trailer is moving slowly across the blocks and NO WAY to stop it.
My angel was shining on me and I learned something about 30 seconds later because the part that is stuck up on the better blocks is just the right size for the tongue jack and it slides over the top of one and 'falls" on it and it stops the slide.

Lesson learned to PROPERLY chock the wheels before unhooking and think I will use my 2x10 boards from now on for the tongue jack.

Thought I would share, maybe stop someone else fromm having that PANIC of watching your trailer move while you stand there.

Mark
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
We are just getting to the one month mark of ownership of our Salem and have taken several trips with no real issues.
My driveway is slight downhill and slopes some to the left, so I already knew I would be putting one of my better blocks under each wheel on that side.
Got it all done, back up on them, my TV is slightly jackknifed to the trailer, but always end up this way, so no worries.
I get a stack of 4 of the blocks out, put them under the tongue jack up front, lower it down on them, it isn't exactly centered, but figure it is ok, not bad. Mistake No. 1 Maybe a 5 degree slant to the left.
I start to unhook from the truck and realize I had no chocks under the tires. Stop what I am doing, throw a chock under one of the tires on the downhill side, no problem. Mistake number 2
Once the truck is unhooked, I watch the tongue jack start to slide across the better blocks.
As you can imagine, panic is setting in as my trailer is moving slowly across the blocks and NO WAY to stop it.
My angel was shining on me and I learned something about 30 seconds later because the part that is stuck up on the better blocks is just the right size for the tongue jack and it slides over the top of one and 'falls" on it and it stops the slide.

Lesson learned to PROPERLY chock the wheels before unhooking and think I will use my 2x10 boards from now on for the tongue jack.

Thought I would share, maybe stop someone else fromm having that PANIC of watching your trailer move while you stand there.

Mark
I had similar experience several years ago when I bought my first TT. Its a good lesson to learn and an extra blessing when no damage is done.

Even if it looks level I always chock before I unhook. It a lot better than having that helpless feeling you get as you TT rolls away uncontrolled.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #3

Mark, been there and it's no fun at all. A little experience without damage definitely makes us better.

For the tongue blocks I used 4x4s and made a stack of alternating pairs of them, starting with them farther apart and the next pair a bit closer and the next pair a bit closer together. This makes a kind of pyramid shape. I saw this being done on a house that was being jacked up to be moved across town and it looked pretty sturdy. Usually it only took two pairs of 4x4s and then a 2x6 or 2x8 across the top pair. When parked in a steep driveway it took 4 pairs of 4x4s and it was still stable enough.

Douglas fir construction lumber is still the lightest and strongest material for blocks I have found. On our new rig, I made some 3" tall blocks using 2x12s. I cut them lengthwise to the width of a 2x12. Then oriented the grain of the wood so the two pieces crossed and glued and clamped them together. This gave me a block that was roughly 10x10 and 3 inches tall. Very stable block and with a 1" hole in the center easy to stack on a stand in my storage. These come in very handy when you need to get one side or one end up in the air a bit.

2012 GMC 3500 Duramax Crew Cab, SuperGlide 20k
2014 Cedar Creek 36B4, LP Onan, Level-Up, Trail-Air pin, electric fridge
Campwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #4

Hey guys another thing you can do to stop a slide slip what ever you want to call is to pull the cable on your breakaway breaks. This will allow the breaks to energize and stop the trailer once you have stopped it chock wheels and put the pin back in the emergency breaks.
Tdifrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post

Mark
Use a pr of Bal X Chocks and forget using blocks for chocks.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #6

One in front of each tire!

Search results for: 'chocks'

Item #96479, Item #69326 or Item #69853

Or if you want to go big.

Item #69828
Old 03-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #7

Old thread, but the first thing I connect while hooking up and the last thing I unhook as I was setting up, is my emergency breakaway switch. That was as I am moving things around if I get surprised or forgot something the trailer isn't going far.

Got lucky once too, I was setting up, forgot to chock the wheels and the daughter unit declared she simply had to pee now and bebopped inside before I could say a word. That shifted the weight just enough that it started to move. A foot later the cable pulled the breakaway, trailer stopped and all was well. And yes, she went on like nothing happened.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #8

First thing in is chocks and the last thing out is chocks. I even use x chocks and rubber chocks combo.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab/Duramax Diesel/Allison Transmission
Salmon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #9

Step 1 - set chocks under wheels on downhill side.
Step 2 - put TV in neutral and roll weight onto the chocks.
Step 3 - set parking break on TV, start unhitching.

Wisdom comes from experience - DAMHIK.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
Step 1 - set chocks under wheels on downhill side.
Step 2 - put TV in neutral and roll weight onto the chocks.
Step 3 - set parking break on TV, start unhitching.

Wisdom comes from experience - DAMHIK.
Step 1 - set parking brake on TV.
Step 2 - set Ball X chocks between wheels on both sides.
Step 3 - put TV in neutral and roll weight against trailer.
Step 4 - set parking brake on TV, start unhitching.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #11

Only thing I have found is when getting trailer to final level,the wheels on the rig will spread a but, then the X Chock will not be tight enough (for me) to ensure holding the rig in place if there is any rolling action. Something the tire cannot get over is safest. Even a C130 Hercules transport uses tire Chocks to prevent rolling.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Hunter View Post
First thing in is chocks and the last thing out is chocks. I even use x chocks and rubber chocks combo.
I do the same thing.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Only thing I have found is when getting trailer to final level,the wheels on the rig will spread a but, then the X Chock will not be tight enough (for me) to ensure holding the rig in place if there is any rolling action. Something the tire cannot get over is safest. Even a C130 Hercules transport uses tire Chocks to prevent rolling.
Been using the Bal Xchocks for 6 years and never had them loosen due to tires or suspension spreading. I use them hooking up and doing the hitch check on the 5er.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_J View Post
I do the same thing.
Same here, as that's the recommended manufacturers practice for the x-chocks as copied from their website. I put rubber chocks in front of the front tires and behind the rear tires.

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

NOTE: BAL's chocks are designed for locking trailer tires when camping. They should be put in place after disconnecting from your tow vehicle and after putting down your stabilizing jacks. They should be removed prior to hooking up to your tow vehicle. Failure to do so may damage your chocks. To avoid undesired trailer movement when disconnecting or hooking up to your tow vehicle, a tire "wedge" should be firmly placed behind one, or preferably both rear trailer tires.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Same here, as that's the recommended manufacturers practice for the x-chocks as copied from their website. I put rubber chocks in front of the front tires and behind the rear tires.
NOTE: BAL's chocks are designed for locking trailer tires when camping. They should be put in place after disconnecting from your tow vehicle and after putting down your stabilizing jacks. They should be removed prior to hooking up to your tow vehicle. Failure to do so may damage your chocks. To avoid undesired trailer movement when disconnecting or hooking up to your tow vehicle, a tire "wedge" should be firmly placed behind one, or preferably both rear trailer tires.
I think that is more a CYA for BAL's X Chocks themselves than anything to do with damaging a trailer or tires. JMO.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #16

My dad taught me and I have taught my sons and daughters safety chains come off last. Most people that's the 1st thing they unhook. It may move on you but it wont get away.
Kickingupmudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #17

On the Columbus the Equa-Flex will allow the axles to spread quite a few inches when leveling. This will allow the Xchock to become loose if tightened first. On my previous TTs the XChock (same one) would not change.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote