Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Just passed one the other day.......
Was driving alone so no video arggggg.
I WILL get one on video !
Same thing last Friday. Wish I had my DW with to snap a pic of a panel van towing a Rockwood Roo with THREE kid bikes on the back of the Roo carried by a bumper-mounted bike rack. He also had his spare tire still attached to the bumper.

If those kids' bikes were like my kids' bikes, they each weighed 30lbs or more. I can only guess the total static weight on that bumper was close to 175-200lbs. And, they stuck out 4 feet from the back of the trailer. The dynamic weight (dk if that's the right term) caused by the movement of those bikes had to be significantly higher.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Same thing last Friday. Wish I had my DW with to snap a pic of a panel van towing a Rockwood Roo with THREE kid bikes on the back of the Roo carried by a bumper-mounted bike rack. He also had his spare tire still attached to the bumper.

If those kids' bikes were like my kids' bikes, they each weighed 30lbs or more. I can only guess the total static weight on that bumper was close to 175-200lbs. And, they stuck out 4 feet from the back of the trailer. The dynamic weight (dk if that's the right term) caused by the movement of those bikes had to be significantly higher.
And if you follow him far enough at a safe distance, you can stop and pickup 3 bikes and a bumper and sell them for scrap.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
And if you follow him far enough at a safe distance, you can stop and pickup 3 bikes and a bumper and sell them for scrap.
Bonus!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #24

Here is how I roll with our bikes..

Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #25

Here was our solution inside...

Forest River Forums - Quadzilla's Album: RV Mods - Picture
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #26
Site Team - Lou

We tried everything from a "spare tire" carrier to what I finally wound up with (riding on the front of the truck).

When my bumper caps fell off on day two I realized the bikes could not ride in the bike rack on the bumper. It was twisting the square bumper so much it worked the rubber caps out. The bikes lived in the camper the rest of that winter trip to the Keys.

I tried beefing up the bumper and mounted a Curt 4 inch bumper hitch and a different bike rack. The replacement bumper caps lasted to Key West before they finally worked almost out. The bikes came home inside the camper again.

Our last trip to the Keys, I went with the front mounted receiver and the bikes were fine up there. I kept the bumper hitch on and when we stopped I moved the rack to the camper so it was not in the way when we went to the store or to the restaurant.

The rack went back on the front when we moved out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Key West 056.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	19042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes 020.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	19043  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #27

Diamond package bike rack

The sv model I hope to order soon with the diamond package includes a "fold down bike rack". I don't know where it mounts or what it looks like but maybe it could be a retrofit?
Polaris XP550
Berkshireba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshireba View Post
The sv model I hope to order soon with the diamond package includes a "fold down bike rack". I don't know where it mounts or what it looks like but maybe it could be a retrofit?
If it's anything like mine, it is a 250lb capacity square steel and wire bottom rack that folds down on the back. Had 3 bikes on ours for a 3k mile trip with no issues. Seems pretty solid. It mounts on the frame with small rubber bumpers that rest on the TT bumper. They are just there to give it a little extra support. Most of the weight is on the frame behind the bumper welds. No cracking or stress on the welds after the trip, but I did have some of the inching out of the bumper caps, like herk said ,as we went. I figured it was just the wind tugging at them since it does it with the rack up and unloaded as well. Just tapped them in quick at fill ups since they never got further than half way out.
'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #29

I just bought a bike this weekend while on a camping trip. I had previously looked at how I would mount the bike when purchased. I mounted it simular to Quadzilla except I fastened the bike mount to the end seat, left the table in normal transport mode, and fastened with screws some velcro strapping tape to the center seat and velcro'd the back tire in place. Never moved on my 100 mile trip home. Total cost of $22.15 for fork mount, $2.49 for velcro. Totally much cheaper than the cost of hitch, welding, and bike rack and so much more secure. By the way, when I'm home or at the camp site, the plywood just flips over so the mount is underneith the seat the the cushion is put back to normal. In travel mode, the cushions ride on the bed

Rod
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #30

Two years ago the UPS man delivered two of these to the house, one was my Christmas Present from my DW. When we got these we were using our van to pull our PUP. These fit in the back of the van with no problems. Now we have the tt, I just fold them up and set them in the back of the truck, one bungee secures them. If we needed to, we could put them in our tt by folding the handle bars. Just another solution if you want a bike and need the space.

Adventurer Folding Cruiser Bike - Intersource Enterprises D09-1014 - Folding Bikes - Camping World

Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote