Old 10-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #51
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogue View Post
Its pretty disappointing that I now have to worry about this issue but at least I now know something I didn't before and can keep an eye on it. I am not sure what I could do about it though. I could perhaps shorten the post the tire is mounted to. It is bolted to the bumper but the tire bolts on kind of high on the mount, I assume this is to facilitate removing it if needed. If I shorten that distance it may reduce some of the "leverage" as the wheel would be closer to the bumper itself.
Forewarned is forearmed. Just keep an eye on it.
It is odd that just with the tire it is flexing enough to pop the end caps though.
Your welds may have been poor from the factory.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #52

Does anyone have pictures of their bikes on the fold down bike rack?

I just ordered a SVF293 FW and it comes with a fold down bike rack. Does anyone have any pictures of how the bikes are fastened to the carrier? I know there is a vertical bar that is raised, but I'd like to know how two bikes are secured? If you don't have pictures, an explanation will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #53

Congratulation on your new FW! The "bike rack" would be more accurately called a "utility rack". If it is the same as mine and like the FW I have seen at my dealer, the rack surface is flat corrugated? metal with no provisions for bikes. The vertical 2x2 post is the only attachment. I have been trying to come up with ideas: bolt fork mounts to surface or use a hitch mount bike rack by way of cutting the "hitch" part off and adapting the vertical part to replace the 2x2 post. Let me know what you come up with
Polaris XP550
Berkshireba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #54

That's what I was afraid of. Yes mine has a corrugated floor. I looked at a bike rack that bolts to the floor of the rack. Its basically a carrier that secure the front and rear wheels. Camping World sells them for $31.99 for a set of two. Their model #58854. I'm not quite sure how they work and need to look at them closer. My FW is being built this week and I hope to take delivery in a few. I was just wondering about it while watching the Final Four. Go Blue!! I'll post what I come up with after I take delivery because I'll have to come up with something pretty fast.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshireba View Post
....bolt fork mounts to surface........
Did this on my last FW that had the same corrugated "utility rack".

Amazon.com: Hollywood Racks T970 Fork Block 1 Bicycle Fork Mount: Sports & Outdoors

Put two on one side (spread across the rack) and then one in the center on the opposite side. Had no problems getting three bikes on and I was able to get my youngest daughter's with training wheels in between. Then just used two tie town straps to keep the rear of the bikes in place. What I liked about this was that the bikes had literally no movement. Didn't have to worry about handlebars slamming against the back of the camper. Yeah, so I had to remove the front wheel when loading and add it when unloading, but we have quick release hubs, so it is not a big deal. Might have to add them to the new rack, but it is the "slotted" kind so I need to see how well it works first.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogue View Post
As a slight detour on this thread, I noticed a couple replys that spoke of the bumper end caps coming out while traveling. Everytime I stop I find the drivers side end cap trying to come out of mine. It hasn't fallen off yet though I assume it is inevitable. I was wondering, do y'all think this is from twisting of my bumper as mentioned? My unit came with the spare (16" so it is fairly heavy) and a very light weight gas grill holder mounted to the bumper from the dealer. The grill is inside storage until needed. I hate to think that the spare could conceivably be too heavy for the bumper. I don't really have a lot of other options for carrying the spare.
I had a friend that also had this problem He put long slim screws through the bumper (I believe they were 8x32 or similar) and end of the plug. I also had a problem with bee's going in them I got some metal screen material and applied silicone bath caulk around the inside of the hole and attached the screen.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #57

Has anyone used a roof top rack on their truck? I have a New 32 RL 5th wheel and want to bring our bikes with. Yakima has a roof rack with all kinds of attachements including the bike rack but you will be pushing 500 bucks all said and done. I have tried the "ladder rack" on our previous TT with some success, also have the bolt on square reciever to bolt onto the square bumper and it really felt unsafe, with lots of slop and bounce, used it once and now it sits in the garage on the floor. The factory bumper is really only good for holding the sewer hose in my opinion. New to this site and this is my first post and I can easily recognize all the valuable experience from fellow RV'ers. Thanks for all the posts!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #58
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This was my solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3466541140.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	27503   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2525502310.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	27504  
Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #59

That's incredible!!! I see you have a long box, but I have a short box and with that arrangement I'm sure it would lead to problems even if I move my slider hitch back. Do you experience any problems turning?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #60
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
That's incredible!!! I see you have a long box, but I have a short box and with that arrangement I'm sure it would lead to problems even if I move my slider hitch back. Do you experience any problems turning?
None whatsoever. I could actually add a couple more bikes and still have room. The real key is that the bikes don't extend to the far corners of the camper, so the turning radius clearance is very close to whatever you would have at the corner of camper. If I recall right, I think the clearance is around 39" from kingpin. I can do some measuring later.