Old 04-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #1

Big Foot Leveling Jacks question

Learing as we go.

We just took delivery of a 2015 Sunseeker 3050S which we spec the Big Foot Leveling Jacks.

First question is - Should we put Pads (Plastic or Wood) under the jacks prior to lowering them? Or just let them hit the ground and do their thing?

Second question. We had the Coach sitting in front of our house and the road is uneven. We engage the Automatic Mode to the Jacks after it cycles the Coach comes to level. Our concern is when I put a level on the floor it appeared to be off both front and back and side to side. The interesting part is depend on where the level is on the floor it varies in degree of being off.

I also put the level on the rear bumper and it was off. Not a ton, but off a bit.

Thanks in advance for the input..

2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
2012 Jayco Eagle Supe Lite 308 RETS (Seasonal Site)
2013 Jeep Rubicon with Mods..
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Average Joe

I use wide pads (2x12 blocks) under the jacks when in soft ground or sand. Otherwise, it's just the jacks.

The only system that needs to be close to level is the fridge. It doesn't need to be perfect. If you are way off level, the system can be calibrated and adjusted. I've not had to do that, so I'll let others who have chime in.

Congrats on your new 3050!

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post
I use wide pads (2x12 blocks) under the jacks when in soft ground or sand. Otherwise, it's just the jacks.

The only system that needs to be close to level is the fridge. It doesn't need to be perfect. If you are way off level, the system can be calibrated and adjusted. I've not had to do that, so I'll let others who have chime in.

Thanks. I have 2"x12" (treated lumber) cut down to four 2'x2' square. I figured they'd be good to use at a campground where it's grass. Less stress on the Jacks I would think doing it this way. Something a little more solid for the Jack Feet to rest on in uneven grass or ground.

In Myrtle Beach, we'll be on a concrete pad, so nothing neeed for that.

Thanks for input...
2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
Old 04-08-2014, 05:22 AM   #4

The stress on the jacks is the same. Spreading the area of pressure is what will not allow for so much "sinking in" of the foot. A plastic or wood pad will go a long way to prevent that. Also the more blocking (up to a point) the better as far as not having to very many "holes" showing. I try for fewer than 8. the more of the drop down leg you have out, the less stable and less strength is in the leg.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #5

Another Question if I may. I've been ready here that a lot of people prefer to use the manual mode over automatic. My dealer did not explain to us how manual mode works.

Can anyone share with us which is better and if we elect to use manual mode, what is the process. Obviously this is new to us.

Thanks..
2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
Old 04-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #6

I agree with BigTJohn the more you block up under the jakes the more stabel they seem to be .last Year was my first time with jacks so I did lots of experimenting and I found that at first I us the auto then the manual for fine tuning depending on the camp site .
Old 11-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
Jackie & Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post

Does your coach have automatic leveling system? We have a 2016 Sunseeker 2430S and will be camping on a grass site in Palm Desert. I gather we'll need to purchase 2 x 12 blocks to keep the coach from rocking.

Jackie & Michael
Old 11-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #8

You should go to a level parking lot and calibrate your big foot system. Then it will be level. Check the manual or web for the procedure.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #9

Personally, I would not use the manual system unless I had to. The manual warns that if you don't raise the coach correctly you might twist the frame of the RV.

The previous poster suggested resetting level on the Big Foot in a level parking lot. That's exactly what I did and it worked well. The manual has the procedure and it's easy to do.

I have the same exact RV as you do except its a different year. We both have that enormous slide and when deployed it will make the RV ever so slightly lean out of true level. So I have my wife and 2 dogs sit in the dinette that's on the slide side and activate the Big Foot. That makes it off the opposite way and then when I deploy the slide it comes to true level.

One last thing about Big Foot. It is not that uncommon for it to suddenly stop working and flashing lights come on. Sometimes the electronics go wacky. The easy fix is to remove the face plate and unplug the connector on the back of it. Then plug it back in after a minute and it will work fine. If you have any troubles or questions feel free to message me. There's also a lot of really good advice on here too.

Hope you have a good time RVing! You picked a good one in my opinion.

Tags
jacks, leveling