Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 12:17 AM   #1

Black tank flush

Just wondering how the blank tank flush works. Can I use the same white hose that is used for the main water?? When using the black tank flush, is the black tank valve suppose to be open or closed???? And should I keep the water pressure regulator on when hooking up to black tank flush line?
Usmarinecorps05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #2

The black tank flush is a sprayer head that sprays water to help flush stuff out of the tank. I would NOT use the drinking water hose on the blank tank flush. Even with a check valve in the loop I would fear contamination. Open the valve and let the water run until it's running clear. Having a clear elbow like the one below helps. Close the valve and let the sprayer run for a while to add about 3-4 gallons of water to the tank. Then open the gray tank valve to flush out the sewer hose.
3" Valve Hose Adapter - Valterra T1026-1 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #3

If you are going to use your black tank flush make sure you have the black tank drain valve open. there are many stories on the site of folks that forgot to open the drain valve with nasty results. I would advise you get yourself a gray colored hose and use it only for the flush and cleaning your waste hoses.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #4

Thanks guys should I leave the water pressure regulator on or off I don't know if it will mess up the lines
Usmarinecorps05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #5

This is my experience for 90% of last years 8 weekends camping.
--------------
I flush at a dump station as i exit the campsite.
All of the stations had hoses available to use in the flush port
and or to just to wash off flushing components.
Before i had the flush port, i purchased the clear connector
that had a built-in port for the hose &
but now i have a flush port so i just added a short clear connector
as was recommended earlier so i can see what is happening.
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:11 PM   #6

I leave the water pressure regulator on while flushing. Dump black first followed by gray then start the flush process. I due it several more times than the directions say. I also watch carefully at how fast the tank fills, and time it. With the dump valve closed. When about 2/3rds full, pull the valve to drain black tank again. Repeat until clear. WATCH CAREFULLY plenty of people have had stuff blow out inside from toilet.
Jack Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #7

I use a separate hose for flushing. it is one of those lightweight collapsible ones. I do not put a pressure regulator on it as it is not going into the internal plumbing lines. watching the clear plastic outlet elbow will tell you how to proceed. I let it flush a bit and then close the drain valve and build up a bit of water in the tank. then open the valve and let the built up water push out what is left. also, I find that the action of closing and opening the valve dislodges various wastes that are held up at the valve itself.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I too use a separate hose for the BT flush.
Not really because I fear back-flow contamination but when I'm flushing the black tank, I am usually handling other things (sewer hose, valve handles, etc.) that 'may' have been subject to something I don't want on my fresh hose.

The black tank flush is usually one of the last processes I do so I usually already have unhooked the fresh hose and put away before flushing. I connect to the spigot without a regulator. The black flush is an open ended plumbing system. No pressure builds up in the internal plumbing so a regulator isn't needed and besides, I want the best pressure and flush I can get.

I also put a 1/4 turn shut off on the end of the hose where it attaches to the black tank port on the side of the camper. That way I can turn it on and off while standing right there at the black tank dump valve and not have to run back and forth to the pedestal.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #9
Just as confused as you

I have a black rubber nylon cord reinforced hose I've had for over 20 years. I do the same as 5picker does. With the quarter turn valve closed it will swell about 10 to 15% more than normal. When you open the 1/4 turn valve you can hear an extra boost in the pressure for a few seconds. I got the hose from my dad and remember drinking water straight from it as a kid.
No ba baraine malfuntione ere. I jst hav ta remind wre eye lefft my camp, wait itswre thee trailr is.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:02 PM   #10

Most of our camping is done at Corp of Engineers. On Degray Lake, the dump stations have wash out water hoses on spring loaded racks. The hoses have threaded ends. I screw their hose directly into the black tank flush and open the valve as I start to dump. Once the bulk of the black matter has slowed to a trickle, I close the dump valve and let it fill a bit and then dump more. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat and so on until the water appears to be clear. Then I dump my grey tank. I'm sure people get annoyed at the dump station, but oh well. The clear elbow mentioned above is a definite must have when dumping.

Once, I'm done dumping all tanks I add a little treatment and a couple of gallons of water to each.
2016 Nights Camped 23 (3 in popup)

Laissez les bons temps rouler!
mac.dblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #11
Canadian Member

Here is a video that shows how the black tank flush works. In the video at about 17:42 he shows how the Tornado flusher (the same as your blank tank flusher) works. You can see in the video how it compares to other flushing products.

I have a separate pressure regulator for my dedicated black tank flushing hose. Some places have exceedingly high pressure and the water line to the flush nozzle is no different that the rest of your RV's piping so I use one.

When I flush my black tank, I leave the valve closed and fill the tank. I do not let myself get distracted. This is critical! I dump, fill with the flusher, dump again, let the flusher spray in the tank for a couple of minutes and then re-fill again and dump again. I use a clear adapter to see if the water is clear or not. There's usually very little waste coming out after the 2nd fill and flush.

If there is a line up of more than 1 camper behind you at the dump station, be nice and forego the flush or don't do it more than once.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I also put a 1/4 turn shut off on the end of the hose where it attaches to the black tank port on the side of the camper. That way I can turn it on and off while standing right there at the black tank dump valve and not have to run back and forth to the pedestal.

Been doing this a long time and never thought about this simple solution. Great idea.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:23 AM   #13

Also before you remove the "Water hose" close the black tank valve and allow "2-3 Gallons" of water to Stay in the Black tank,use whatever Mixture you desire for the Black Tank! Youroo!!

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank