Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 09:07 AM   #1

Black Water Tank - tipped?

To drain our black water tank on the brand new Palomino 8801, we had to take it off the truck, and tip it extremely deeply. Lowered the corner where the tank is by 10 inches. (I could understand a slight tip, but this is extreme.) Is this normal?

We did not have a blockage, or over-usage. In fact, it was mostly water. When we couldn't get it to dump the first night (after minor usage), we filled the tank with water trying to get the contents too move. As we couldn't, we came home, and took camper off the truck in preparation for "surgery". (LOL) Before we got out the auger, etc., we tried the extreme tip. At 10 inches it started flowing! We dumped into a large storage container so that we could measure, as well as assess, the contents. No large matter in the approximate 4 gallons that came out (of the 7 gallon tank). We rinsed the tank until the water we were putting in came out crystal clear, then put the camper back on level. And the gauge still reads 1/3 full.

Any input appreciated!
MidwesternWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
Site Team

I'd say it's definitely not normal. It should be installed to where it empties when the camper is sitting level. Have you looked to see if you can see how it's installed?
Old 06-28-2016, 06:13 PM   #3

It's sandwiched, so we can't really see it too well. The toilet sits above it, and the grey water tank sits below it. We've contacted Cheyenne Camper Center, where we purchased it last week. They are contacting Palomino... so I guess we wait to hear what they suggest. Thanks for your input!!!
MidwesternWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #4

sorry, I have nothing to contribute, other then to THANK YOU for not uploading pictures

newmanr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:05 AM   #5

Sorry,,, no help here,,, our old Truck Campers did not have a Porta Pottie or a Black tank !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:56 AM   #6
Tinkerer and Putterer

I have no experience playing with black tanks but my first thought would actually be the vent stack. If the vent stack was plugged / blocked / kinked / under water and air couldn't get into the system the water could refuse to flow. I have to believe that the tank position is the same on all of your model trailer and if it didn't drain on all of them the manufacturer would have quite a mess on their hands. Sorry, had to say it... Perhaps the 10 inch tip is exposing / unkinking the vent and allowing air into the tank?

Post clean out will the tank drain? If you leave the valve open and dump water down the toilet does it drain?

If you fill the tank, open the valve and then open the toilet to make your own vent will it all of the sudden drain?

Just some thoughts on some troubleshooting I might consider trying
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #7

When the manufacturer drills out the 3" hole for the black tank piping, there have been instances of the tank wall material never coming out with the drill bit but falling out into the tank and after pipe installation and eventually the customers first usage, getting lodged in the drain hole. That would cause slow or just about impossible normal discharge. Yours may be lodged in the drain pipe at such an angle that only severe tipping empties the contents. Just a thought. Good luck.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #8

You said this camper is brand new,,, can you get any help from your dealer ???
Old 07-01-2016, 06:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
You said this camper is brand new,,, can you get any help from your dealer ???
He stated his dealer is working with him on the problem by calling the manufacturer!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:32 AM   #10

The dealer is making sure he'll get paid for the warranty work before he commits.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
He stated his dealer is working with him on the problem by calling the manufacturer!!!
Sorry I missed that !!!

Tags
black, black water, tank, water, water tank