Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #1

Blowing off Steam (Buying a New RV)

I just have to vent. And I am don't normally like to give strong opinions about most subjects. I guess it is just my nature.

But after buying doing lots and lots of homework, and working our budget, my wife and I decided to purchase a new 29' RV pull behind. We thought we picked the right dealer for us. Well from the day we picked it up on March 15, of this year, we have been living a nightmare. It didn't arrive with the options that we ordered, the workmanship is terrible. The walk through from the dealer was 20 minutes. Going back for warranty work is a joke. Talking to manufacture gives no satisfaction. We were promised by the dealer that if we took it home and used a few times that they would be more than happy to repair, replace whatever it would need. Again customer relations after the sale is minimal.

Then I began to do some on line research and I begin to read forums and I hear similar experiences from other unsatisfied people just like us.

How is it that some of these manufactures can get away with building a product that has so man issues, and get away with it. And from what I have seen, it is not just one of the cheaper manufactures either.

Their needs to be some kind of agency that a buyer can go to, and get some assistance and make the dealer/manufacture make good on their product and their word. And it is time that their is sort of "Lemon Law" in effect too.

I am sorry for putting something on this fine forum that is so negative. But we the purchasers deserve better customer service and we need to be treated in a fair and honest manner. And not have to put up with broken promises and dishonest information.

Tom and Kathy
North Ga.
Slow but Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

You did not mention the model of the camper or type or brand so one can provide you with a FR contact to help with our issues. One of the down sides is you took a camper that was not what you ordered and if A good PDI was not provided making sure everything was working is another no no. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
You did not mention the model of the camper or type or brand so one can provide you with a FR contact to help with our issues. One of the down sides is you took a camper that was not what you ordered and if A good PDI was not provided making sure everything was working is another no no. Later RJD
Don't mean to pile on but X2. Regretably, your experience is not unique.

Can you tell us more about what you bought, what is missing and what is not right.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I believe the OP has a Jayco!
I got that idea here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow but Steady View Post
Last week we went to Ohio and picked up or new Jayco 29RKS and of course it is winterized. Can someone tell us are the steps to dewinterize it and what we need to do now get it ready for traveling?

THanks
Tom and Kathy
N Ga

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I believe the OP has a Jayco!
I got that idea here:
He posted in January, that they bought a Coachmen Catalina.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:45 PM   #6

Slow but Steady, You have made several positive posts as late as last month about the Catalina brand. What issues are you having that has caused you to be so disappointed now?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #7

If it wasn't what you ordered, or had major issues, you should not have accepted it.
You must realize that the dealers just want to get units off of their lot. You can tell you'll have future issues if they also tell you it will be 3-4 months before they have a chance to look at the unit. That one year warranty goes by pretty quick, and if you don't have the unit in your possession, hard to tell what else might be bad. I had bad experiences with my dealer too . . .
Old 05-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #8

If you live in N.GA, I would suggest that you drive down to 3-Way Camper in Marietta, GA. I know you did not purchase it there and they may not even carry your brand but they will certainly work on it for you. I would first call and make an appt. to speak with someone in service so you can talk with them in person about what you have and any issues so that a plan can be developed and see what your options are. There have been a ton of positive comments about them on this forum (mine included) and I do not think you will be disappointed. Just a suggestion so you can quick beating your head against the wall and getting no where.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #9

This is very confusing. In one thread the OP bought a Catalina. In another thread it was a Jayco. Thought Coachman made Catalina. In one thread he was very pleased with his camper. In another it is all a nightmare. ???

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
This is very confusing. In one thread the OP bought a Catalina. In another thread it was a Jayco. Thought Coachman made Catalina. In one thread he was very pleased with his camper. In another it is all a nightmare. ???
Yes, I am also confused. It also appears he may have made two trips to pick up a trailer based on the dates he said they went to Ohio. Or maybe I am misreading.

Did he exchange one for another?

Did the dealer pull a switch? This could explain why he did not get the trailer with the options that he wanted.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote