Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #1

bolted pads to stabilizer jacks

I had some left over Trex decking that I cut into 11" long pieces. Bolted to my stabilizers with 3/8" galvanized carriage bolts. Hopefully they will spread the weight and add a little more stability. This stuff is very strong, rot resistant etc. (composite plastic/wood decking)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stabilizer01.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	27251  
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #2

Very nice idea. I may do this. I currently use a 4X6 18 inches long under the jack to distribute the weight.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #3

Good idea.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Have run these 2 x 10 x 14's bolted to the jack pads for the last 7 yrs and they sure help. I have them on the front landing jacks also. Removed them from our old trailer and installed them on our 5ver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00211.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	27259   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00212.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	27260  
Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Have run these 2 x 10 x 14's bolted to the jack pads for the last 7 yrs and they sure help. I have them on the front landing jacks also. Removed them from our old trailer and installed them on our 5ver.
OC, Do the stablizer arms on your 5ver work? My Lacrosse rocks all over the place. Even the 20 lb dog shakes it. I was going to get wheel lock chocks, but I have wide spread axles. Theses are pricey but would it work instead. Or should spend a little more for the set up you have with bars?
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
OC, Do the stablizer arms on your 5ver work? My Lacrosse rocks all over the place. Even the 20 lb dog shakes it. I was going to get wheel lock chocks, but I have wide spread axles. Theses are pricey but would it work instead. Or should spend a little more for the set up you have with bars?
I made my stabilizer bars and they do work. I also took the stab jack flat bar arms off (4) and replaced with 3/4" pipe braces. (heated, flattened & drilled the ends) Much stronger and took the wobble out of the rear stab jacks. I have side to side stabilizer bars on the front landing jacks. I use the Bal Chocks between the tires and a stab jack in front of the axles on both sides. With the combination of all of them, the bounce and shake is 99% gone. Took all of them off my 08 Flagstaff TT.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Owner/Operator

Quote:
I made my stabilizer bars and they do work. I also took the stab jack flat bar arms off (4) and replaced with 3/4" pipe braces. (heated, flattened & drilled the ends) Much stronger and took the wobble out of the rear stab jacks. I have side to side stabilizer bars on the front landing jacks. I use the Bal Chocks between the tires and a stab jack in front of the axles on both sides. With the combination of all of them, the bounce and shake is 99% gone. Took all of them off my 08 Flagstaff TT.
I have a set of Eliminators headed this way, and for the life of me can't figure out why they state to position the rear arms the way they do. The stabilizers already provide more stability side to side, yet that's the way they state to install.

The way you have installed yours (front to back) makes a lot more sense, and that's the way I intend to install the rear set. Plus, they can be mounted to the frame itself for more rigidity.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Thanks, I guess I have my work cut out for myself. The Bal chocks are around $100 each for my TT. I'm going to create some out of 4x4's and threaded rods. The stabilizer bars might be the other project to do. It doesn't look to hard to make.
I think the third bar cross-way is needed because the power stabilizer center point is self adjusting to the terrain of the land. It could shift side to side. The third arm will make it solid.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote