Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 11:30 PM   #21

We have a booster and it helps somewhat. We were in a Good Sam park and after 6 pm when people are streaming videos it was useless. Had to wait until most went to bed to use the internet. At my sisters we are camped 100 feet away from her modem and it works great.
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:39 AM   #22

I have the Ubiquity Nanostation Loco M2Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1429709802.260710.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	74924, with a long CAT5 cable and I stick it to the best window inside as we camp on different CG. Under $70. Works like a charm.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #23

We have used Alfa wifi booster for years and it works well.
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:22 PM   #24

Jefa Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
Plus 1 on JEFA Tech Repeater:

Frank
I'm looking at the Jefa Tech. I like how you installed the antenna on the TV antenna. What about the cable, how did you get in on the inside. I know from research they said not to use a regular coax cable.

I'm assuming you are happy with the results you are getting from the repeater?
vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #25

The JEFA Tech kit will come with the cable. I asked for the 259 connector not to be installed so I could cut the length to my needs. I ordered mine through their customer service folks and told them what I wanted. As you can see from the picture, I ran the coax cable through the same location as my awning lights and awning motor cables. My repeater is awesome and I can pickup WIFI signals from other sources up to a 1/2 mile away from me. I haven't been in a park yet where I couldn't pick up their signal. I'm installing a Wilson 4G cell phone repeater next!

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5712.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	75035  
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #26

Has anyone installed their own wireless network with their on SSID and encryption, that can connect to the campground wifi as a bridge? I'd like to install some local devices like appleTV or raspberry pi's for some simple automations (temp, lights, etc.) but don't want to have them all directly connected to the local wifi. I will look into the range extenders and see if any of them have this capability, but thought I'd ask here too.
alfista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
We have used Alfa wifi booster for years and it works well.
But are you wired to it? It almost looks like you have to hook up a USB cord from the unit to the laptop. How would one use this for an ipod, ipad, or phone?

Just curious.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

When I installed the jefa on my TT, I attached the antenna to the TV ant and run the cable thru the bedroom vent. Then I mounted wifi router on the TV bracket and powered it from the TV power plug. On my 5er I mounted the antenna on my ladder, run the wire down the the ladder and then drilled a hole under the entertainment center to put it a cabinet. It's a wireless router so it works all thru the camper.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfista View Post
Has anyone installed their own wireless network with their on SSID and encryption, that can connect to the campground wifi as a bridge? I'd like to install some local devices like appleTV or raspberry pi's for some simple automations (temp, lights, etc.) but don't want to have them all directly connected to the local wifi. I will look into the range extenders and see if any of them have this capability, but thought I'd ask here too.
I use the Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2 on a pole, point it at the access point. Connect it to an Apple router via a length of CAT 5, and then can connect all of our devices wirelessly to the router as you desire. Can also be done with a Linksys if you upgrade the firmware.

See....
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #30

reading thru this thread got me to thinking... remember the good old days when you went camping to UNPLUG from everything and experience nature? now it seems like we really want to take it all with us. the TV in my camper usually only comes on if it's a rainy movie day. diff strokes for diff folks tho, it's all good.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:12 AM   #31

Steve, couldn't agree more but since all my financial dealings are bound to the internet, I find it difficult to disconnect for more than a couple days at a time: sad I know!

Frank
KM4FVI

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #32

Here is a a web site that has some very informative videos.
Private RV Wi-Fi and Making a Better Park Connection for Under $100 | Outside Our Bubble
I linked to the one detailing how to set up a network using the Ubiquiti Nanostation.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #33
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh326 View Post
reading thru this thread got me to thinking... remember the good old days when you went camping to UNPLUG from everything and experience nature? now it seems like we really want to take it all with us. the TV in my camper usually only comes on if it's a rainy movie day. diff strokes for diff folks tho, it's all good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
Steve, couldn't agree more but since all my financial dealings are bound to the internet, I find it difficult to disconnect for more than a couple days at a time: sad I know!s
Remember, not all of us are camping. I'm a traveler who happens to use a camper. I treat it like a mobile hotel/apartment.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Remember, not all of us are camping. I'm a traveler who happens to use a camper. I treat it like a mobile hotel/apartment.
I understand completely...
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #35
Bek

I use a booster antenna wired to my laptop then I create a network from my laptop to connect the other devices so every IPhone ans Ipad get better signal from the inside.
Bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #36
ENE

These booster only increase the number of possible networks around you. Having more choices give you a better signal. The wifi signal you get in the rv park will be slow to to the number of people using it. Connecting to let's say Starbucks may give a faster internet connection because less people are using it.
A RV park may only have a 12gig internet connection with 200 people using it.
Starbucks could have a 40gig network with 30 people using it.
A booster will reach further and pickup additional networks, you just have to choices one thats not heavy utilized.
Some people buy a directional wifi antenna and can pickup wifi signals a mile or 2 away.
Omni antennas reached a short distance but cover 360 degrees. Directional antennas have to be pointed towards a know signal and has much further reach than a omni antenna.
Boosters are a wifi aide that will help most of the time but not guarrantine.
Another option: is too use your hotspot from your cell phone. Your cell phone has a better chance of a better signal than a wifi, because cell towers are more available than private wifi signals. Better make sure you have a good data plan on your cell phone or your next cell phone bill could be several hundreds of dollars.
There are many ways to get that better cell phone or wifi signal, you just need to research and see which one is cost effective for you.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:30 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

We used our Jefa booster to access a Days Inn 1/4 mile away last month at a campground.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote