Old 10-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #31
Anacortesians

The horror stories we see on this forum and others supports our choice to buy used. We found a very gently used (12,000 miles in 8 years and 48 hours on the generator) Georgetown 325. We've had two problems of significance. The 11 year old Dometic fridge died two days before a trip. We had to relay on picnic coolers and ice for 2 weeks. Replacement was about $1800.

The second issue is self-inflicted. Due to an angioplasty op in December 2011, I didn't get out to do the generator exercise routine until late April. It hasn't run since. Not a big deal until we come to sell it, as we only used it once in three seasons.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #32
NELA

Well we're on our (IIRC) 8th problem, and this one happened just this weekend.

Vacuum breaker went out on our dometic toilet. So, we made do by keeping a small bucket nearby...just used that to keep the potty filled and for flushing.

dunno if we'll return the TT for warranty replacement or try to replace it ourselves, depends on what our dealer has to say about scheduling since we're takin 'er out again at Thanksgiving.

We're takin 'er back for some issues in early December anyway; power jack limping along if you tap it with a wrench, one of the crappy day/nite shades has a string failure (we're supporting it up off the floor with command hooks), LP valve *SINGS* constantly when in use, BR slide "wobbles" when being retracted...side to side movement uneven.

It seems lately that every time we take 'er out we add something to the list.

We had to return 'er not long after purchase (June) due to a serious wiring issue (sofa leg falling through a huge wiring hole in the floor, causing wires ...12V *and* 110V... to be pinched and abraded against the ragged hole edge by the leg) on passenger side rear. Others soon reported the same problem in their TTs.

Not exactly a crier, but I'm not doin' a Snoopy Happy Dance either.

Yes, some of these are just luck of the draw issues, but that sloppy hole in the floor (it was cut in the wrong location) was just that; *SLOPPY* don't give a crap workmanship.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
We're takin 'er back for some issues in early December anyway; power jack limping along if you tap it with a wrench,

tapping on a permanent magnet motor will definitely cause the magnets to become un-bonded (glued) from the housing.. the sooner the replacement the better. But there is always the plastic cap and wrench method.

On a side note i have found many PM motors that have been over lubed at assy and tooooo much grease is on the commutator shaft. if you are the wrench turning type cleaning out the grease will usually correct it. I have also had this on a batch of flap actuators on airplanes. again, poor assembly processes
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #34
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkford1953 View Post
2011 Skyline Texan. Use microwave when AC was on. Breakers tripped. Called Dealership was told not to use both at the same time RV are not equipped to handle both. Don't know if that is right but now when I microwave I turn off AC. Only problem we ever had with 3 RV's. 1st and 2nd were used and no problems. 3rd was new at the time breakers tripped.
Believe it or not this is common and can "usually" be traced back to low voltage at the campground (although high compressor loads can cause this as well).

BOTH items are "inductive" load appliances (the Magnetron on the microwave and the fan/compressor on the air conditioner.

Even with 120 volts of AC, higher wattage microwaves and 15K air conditioners, during start up, can draw very close to the 30 amps available to a 30 amp service camper.

When the available voltage drops due to campground usage, long runs of service wires, or just plain brown outs, the amperage demands can easily exceed 30 amps when using both items.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
When the available voltage drops due to campground usage, long runs of service wires, or just plain brown outs, the amperage demands can easily exceed 30 amps when using both items.

not that you need my second on that But to add that as voltage decreases amperage needs to increase to get the same job done. a fuse doesnt care about voltage an amp is an amp. I have a tractor that will sometimes have a weak battery after sitting and if you try to start it with a weak battery it will pop the Ignition fuse. Counter-intuitive but fact.

P
____
IxE

A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote