Old 08-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
Brake Controller

Ya'll are gods!!! As I have said before, we recently upgraded from a popup (our first camper) to a 2011 Flagstaff 26RLS. Our TV is a GMC Sierra 1500. When we got the popup a friend of mine does all the service on my TV and we also camp together (he has a 5er and a GMC 3500 dually). He was nice enough to put me in a brake controller for a really, really good price if you get my drift. The controller made a world of difference in stopping even that little popup. The controller was a Drawtite Activator II. With the TT however, we were getting jerked at stops, we looked like bobble-heads. Could never seem to find the sweet spot. Constant adjusting depending on speed and traffic conditions. Well, after reading many discussions on this forum, and looking at what others have, I ordered a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller along with appropriate wiring harness. The installation took about 5 minutes to do. I hooked up the TT and went for a ride this morning to do the setup. The directions were clear, concise, and easy. After I completed the setup I went for a ride on various roads at varying speed limits from 55 to 25mph. What a difference!!!!!! Stopping with the TT is about the same as the TV alone! No more bobble-heads at stop lights and stop signs! I feel so much more comfortable and confident with the Prodigy P2 controller. I can't wait for our next trip next weekend! Thanks everyone, you really don't know how much ya'll have helped me enjoy the new TT. Ya'll have done a great job in helping me spend my money also!!

Kirk, KN1B
2013 Cardinal 3800FL
2009 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
You found out that a proportional brake controller that self levels itself and has multiple different boost modes makes a world of difference.

Effortless stops is the way all TV and trailers should stop.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the rides and stops more now.

2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
kb, what you bought a elec' brake controller & not a MaxBrake?

To hear some people if you don't get a hydraulic actuated brake controller, you may as well run w/o brakes & theyll let you know it too.

My brother had a Tekonsha controller circa '06 & when I bought my trailer last year, he suggested that I get the P3. Like you say, the installation & setup was straightforward & easy.

I'm sure a lot of people don't feel comfortable tapping into the hydraulics of their brake system.
2011 Chevrolet K2500HD w/ Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Husky W/D hitch
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini-Lite
Nights camped 2010: 21
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
My TT has electric bakes. The P2 is capable of being configured to work electric over hydraulic. I looked at the P3 and considered it, but the P2 met my needs and for the equipment I have. I will tackle many projects, I am an electronics/ communications technician and I am very good at troubleshooting systems. I will attempt many mechanical tasks as well, but when it comes to things like brakes and other safety items, I leave that to those that are trained!
Kirk, KN1B
2013 Cardinal 3800FL
2009 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote

brake control, brakes