Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #21

We hated setting up and breaking down to go home so we solved the issue we seasonal camp now. When we get there we unlock the door turn on the water and power and we are camping. To leave we do the opposite except we dump the tanks.
When we camped in the state parks I liked to get out at a reasonable hour in the am usually leaving by 10:00 am. I would put the awning in the night before pack most of our other stuff that we won't need to use. For breakfast we usually just eat cereal and use disposable silverware and bowls.We hauled the bikes in the rear of the camper so I had to load them then if we took it we had to go get the boat. then dump the tanks on the way out of the campground.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #22

We usually pack up our lights and exterior features, and do a quick cleaning of the interior. We usually leave the hoses as we have three kids and water is of great need prior to leaving. It usually takes about 20-30 mins and we are on the road. By the time our final day comes, we are ready to get home, unpack the trailer and relax before going back to work. So we usually hit e road soon after we wake up.
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #23

UP at SIX??? LEAVE @ 7? AM? OMG!! We've been parked right next to people that do that and never hear them leave. I'm always amazed to go to bed with a next site neighbor then wake up and poof, they are gone!

We do pick up a bit the night before we leave... chairs, lights, stove and other cooking stuff and the rest of the crap we've hauled out. We usually leave the awning & rug for the morning.

The one time we didn't sort of pick up the night before, my DH and a friend decided to fish one last time. They took their kayaks out and were going to be back by 1pm so we'd be ready to roll out by the 3pm checkout. 1pm came & went and they hadn't shown up. The 3pm checkout was coming fast so I started breaking camp. BY. MYSELF. We'd been there 5 days and you know how much crap gets hauled out in that much time...both inside and out. I was in a panic! I did manage to get everything stowed, hookups unhooked, garbage hauled off, slides in and jacks up..ready to pull out if someone came for the site. DH rolled in about 4 with some silly excuse about water level and paddling... WHAT. EVER. GRRR.

Anyway, I don't think the site was reserved for that night after all but I would have been mortified not to be out of it if it had been. I know we'd be pretty upset to have driven all day and be ready to relax but have to wait on someone else to move out past checkout time.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
UP at SIX??? LEAVE @ 7? AM? OMG!! We've been parked right next to people that do that and never hear them leave. I'm always amazed to go to bed with a next site neighbor then wake up and poof, they are gone!

The one time we didn't sort of pick up the night before, my DH and a friend decided to fish one last time. They took their kayaks out and were going to be back by 1pm so we'd be ready to roll out by the 3pm checkout. 1pm came & went and they hadn't shown up. The 3pm checkout was coming fast so I started breaking camp. BY. MYSELF. We'd been there 5 days and you know how much crap gets hauled out in that much time...both inside and out. I was in a panic! I did manage to get everything stowed, hookups unhooked, garbage hauled off, slides in and jacks up..ready to pull out if someone came for the site. DH rolled in about 4 with some silly excuse about water level and paddling... WHAT. EVER. GRRR.

Anyway, I don't think the site was reserved for that night after all but I would have been mortified not to be out of it if it had been. I know we'd be pretty upset to have driven all day and be ready to relax but have to wait on someone else to move out past checkout time.
An amazing amount of stuff gets unpacked in a week's time. Yup, chairs, grills, sporting equip, fishing stuff, all the cable TV wires, you have to flush the sewer lines and black tank, stow gear securely, etc.
You were fortunate that the site wasn't reserved that night. You are quite the camper obvioulsy well versed. Next time you can reverse roles and you can sit back tanning at the pool while he works hard.
It takes us hours too to break camp.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #25

We don't like to be caught up in the morning rush, so we take our time and do all of the packing up on the day we leave. When we get around to pulling out, there are no line-ups at the dump station, and is much more relaxing.
We don't do the marathon drives every day, so have lots of time to enjoy our travels.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #26

funny story...we always pack what we can the night before leaving. So, the night before our scheduled departure, I put the bikes in the truck, clean up the site, etc. My wife just sat at the fire as her work is only the morning of the move, inside the camper. She intently watched my son and I go about our chores. Next morning I, being the early bird, get up and continue on packing. When nearly done, I go back inside to get breakfast. My DW is sitting there looking out the window. I asked what's up. Right away I knew something was wrong by the tone of her voice....She said I must miss work cause we don't leave till the next day!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #27

Hahahahahahaha......... Priceless!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #28
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
funny story...we always pack what we can the night before leaving. So, the night before our scheduled departure, I put the bikes in the truck, clean up the site, etc. My wife just sat at the fire as her work is only the morning of the move, inside the camper. She intently watched my son and I go about our chores. Next morning I, being the early bird, get up and continue on packing. When nearly done, I go back inside to get breakfast. My DW is sitting there looking out the window. I asked what's up. Right away I knew something was wrong by the tone of her voice....She said I must miss work cause we don't leave till the next day!
Priceless is right!!

I haven't done that yet...But I am guessing I will!! New item for checklist...Verify date of departure!!

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post

I like your wife!! That's exactly what I would have done.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #30

We also like to linger on the day of departure and make the experience last as long as possible. But we always camp in state parks in Ohio and Indiana. Translation: The campground is practically empty by noon and we stay till 4 or 5 pm. The park volunteers come around late in the morning and put the new day's reservation tags on the sites. If ours is spoken for, we would certainly leave on time.
Pitstop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #31
New to Forest River

I've never understood people going to a campground for 2 nights (Fri/Sat) and leaving at the crack of dawn on Sunday. Why bother going for 2 nights and 1 day. We always stay as late on Sunday as our schedule (and checkout times) allow. We enjoy relaxing with a nice breakfast, walking the dogs, playing cards, etc. while watching everyone else leave (mostly by 9AM it seems). Seems like they're missing a lot of their camping time by being too eager to leave. IMO
Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS
Mikedboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedboyd View Post
I've never understood people going to a campground for 2 nights (Fri/Sat) and leaving at the crack of dawn on Sunday. Why bother going for 2 nights and 1 day. We always stay as late on Sunday as our schedule (and checkout times) allow. We enjoy relaxing with a nice breakfast, walking the dogs, playing cards, etc. while watching everyone else leave (mostly by 9AM it seems). Seems like they're missing a lot of their camping time by being too eager to leave. IMO
We typically eat breakfast and head out after a Friday and Saturday night. The evenings are our favorite time, and the we usually pick an activity or two during the day to do. However, with a typical 2-3 hour drive, plus time to unpack the trailer, clean the trailer, and make the round trip to the storage facility...we are usually not done until almost dinner time even leaving at 9 am.
If we waited until check out, we would have no time to catch our breath before going to bed and heading to work Monday morning. That's our reasoning behind heading out in the AM.
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #33
2011 Forest River Stealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPhil View Post
We typically eat breakfast and head out after a Friday and Saturday night. The evenings are our favorite time, and the we usually pick an activity or two during the day to do. However, with a typical 2-3 hour drive, plus time to unpack the trailer, clean the trailer, and make the round trip to the storage facility...we are usually not done until almost dinner time even leaving at 9 am.
If we waited until check out, we would have no time to catch our breath before going to bed and heading to work Monday morning. That's our reasoning behind heading out in the AM.

X2.......... If I was retired It would be different.
rwtdct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
While some of us try to get every minute of camping in others have to made do with getting some camping in even if it means a early departure. In my book a short campout is better than staying home.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #35

All of our friends joke about us, we pack everything the night before departure. They usually don't even see us in the am, so we say our good byes that evening. We plan on donuts and coffee for breakfast and leave early. We like to get home early, so we can unpack, do laundry and settle back in so we are ready for work the next day. Just what we do, several of our friends stay until check out time.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #36

Quote:
What I do for just Two Pleasurable nights and 1 day. We leave by noon. Get off work, hook up camper (already loaded), drive one hour to lake campground, set up, drive 5 mile and pick up boat at storage. Come Sunday, tear down, return boat to storage, hook up and return home. I do this about every other weekend during the summer and look forward to the next trip when I leave. I have always said "The worst thing about camping is going home". That said, I still look forward to my next trip.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #37
New to Forest River

So - no boat, no kids (grown), normally camp within 2 hours of home, store the camper about 10 minutes from home, so we have less pulling on us. I know some folks just prefer to head out early, even if they don't have to. That's cool, just not for me.
Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS
Mikedboyd is offline   Reply With Quote