Old 10-04-2016, 04:47 AM   #11

something like that but I would like aluminum if I can find one

Old 10-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #12

Buyers Products has some nice smaller aluminum boxes.

TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
i have heard pros and cons about attaching things to the bumper some say they are just spot welded on and won't hold much, well i crawled under and looked the welder who attached mine musta had some time to kill because mine has a great welding job. Now i know it will hold my weight as i have to stand on it to get to the ladder a weight about 150lb.
I would like to attach a small aluminum box to hold my leveling blocks shore power cord etc. i'm thinking it might weigh 60 to 75 lbs including the box when loaded

thourghts ???
the 4Square SafetyStruts are made especially for supporting that bumper weld and making the bumper usable,.... the positive reviews for them are impressive(98% on Amazon plus the ones from FRF members),... the link below is a thread from just a few days ago and may be helpful, ......

4Square SafetyStruts bumper support brackets

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #14

Bumper

I installed the Mount-N-Lock Safety Struts on my bumper to add strength and take stress off the bumper weld. They help prevent the rocking of the bumper. I then felt better about using my bumper bike rack. They were easy to install. Remember though in most cases if you mount something to your bumper and it tears off the bumper that is on you, not the warranty.
"Go Navy"
logspec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
flybob,
I have a spare tire mounted to one side and thought about a small box mounted on the top of the bumper not to the back of it say 10x24x12 tall. I don't want to do anything stupid and break it
What I can say with confidence. When I went on a factory tour for Rockwood, this question was asked, now there was 40 people on this tour. What was told us that if you remove the spare and do not add anymore weight then the spare that it would be okay. Per the Factory Rep ie: Service manager at the time. He also said to remove it and reinstall the spare before service. Now that was an HONEST answer IMO... PS: I have also drilled and bolted a 3/4" angle iron on the bottom of the two I-Beams (maybe wrong term) 4 bolts, also that bumper is solid welded not skipped welded on a Rockwood.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
I put 150 lb generator on Coachman 5er back bumper successfully for several months and then the frame broke just behind the hangers on curb side . It ain;t just weight its wiggle , torque , and time !

Did a structural or vehicle design engineer (independent) do a professional analysis and determine that your generator caused the frame failure or are you guessing?

Coachman uses cheaply made Lippert frames like just about everyone else, and they are known to sometimes fail for no apparent reason other than under engineering or bad welding. They are not used because they are the best thing since sliced bread, but because they (Lippert) are the lowest bidder. Have you ever had a professional welder take a look at the welds on Lippert's stuff ?, thats good for a few laughs. A quick web search will give you many examples where Lippert frames have failed and nothing was attached to the bumper.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Did a structural or vehicle design engineer (independent) do a professional analysis and determine that your generator caused the frame failure or are you guessing?

Coachman uses cheaply made Lippert frames like just about everyone else, and they are known to sometimes fail for no apparent reason other than under engineering or bad welding. They are not used because they are the best thing since sliced bread, but because they (Lippert) are the lowest bidder. Have you ever had a professional welder take a look at the welds on Lippert's stuff ?, thats good for a few laughs. A quick web search will give you many examples where Lippert frames have failed and nothing was attached to the bumper.
Mr. Havecamp, I do not disagree with you we all know Lippert. As I stated above you "DO NOT ADD MORE WEIGHT THEN THE SPARE TIRE" even with the spare you will have movement with that bumper. You might have less adding a box then a spare sitting on a rack 2' above the bumper. What is your thoughts on that? With all due respect.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 10-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Mr. Havecamp, I do not disagree with you we all know Lippert. As I stated above you "DO NOT ADD MORE WEIGHT THEN THE SPARE TIRE" even with the spare you will have movement with that bumper. You might have less adding a box then a spare sitting on a rack 2' above the bumper. What is your thoughts on that? With all due respect.

I hear ya.....My thoughts and past experience tells me that Lippert or anyone else can use many different attachment connections for bumpers ,and 4" tube bumpers come in different gauges. That being said these threads about bumpers are essentially a bunch of hogwash because no across the board statement can be made.. Always have been and always will be not only here but in any other RV forum. If a manufactured beam qualifies a trailer as "lightweight" then everything but the largest 5ers and T haulers are lightweight. Rolled members are hardly used anywhere anymore.

I have attached a bolt on receiver to 3 different hybrids and a popup and only reinfoced one of the hybrids.and the popup. No armageddon.

You have to look at every condition individually.

The warranty ramifications are manufacturer cya.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #19

Bumper

Not only is it in the owners manual but on my Rockwood 8329SS there is a sticker in the kitchen cabinet that specifically says not to install "anything" additional to the bumper. This will invalidate the warranty. That being said if you do you assume the risk. That's a choice we each have to make.
"Go Navy"
logspec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by logspec1 View Post
Not only is it in the owners manual but on my Rockwood 8329SS there is a sticker in the kitchen cabinet that specifically says not to install "anything" additional to the bumper. This will invalidate the warranty. That being said if you do you assume the risk. That's a choice we each have to make.
Key word "ANYTHING ADDITIONAL" That's why the factory said the spare has to come off and nothing heavier can be carried, they are covering there A##.... Wonder why I don't have that sticker? The frames are weak. 3 years ago I had the level up system installed in Goshen at the rally. They had to reinforce my frame so it could not twist. Lippert said they would never install that system on a Rockwood again. As far as I know they still have not....the next year at Goshen they had to add 12/12 gussets at my axles. Lippert told me that still have not installed that system on any Rockwood since. But they sold it to me so it was on them and they now own that frame...

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k