Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

Bumper ??

i have heard pros and cons about attaching things to the bumper some say they are just spot welded on and won't hold much, well i crawled under and looked the welder who attached mine musta had some time to kill because mine has a great welding job. Now i know it will hold my weight as i have to stand on it to get to the ladder a weight about 150lb.
I would like to attach a small aluminum box to hold my leveling blocks shore power cord etc. i'm thinking it might weigh 60 to 75 lbs including the box when loaded

thourghts ???
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Also has to do with the thickness of the bumper...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
Site Team

The bumper restrictions are not based solely on the bumper material and attachment, but also on the frame. Lite trailers mean lite frame which is usually a manufactured light weight "I beam". You will see things like that on large 5ers or Mohos, but they have an entirely different frame. TT designs usually push the limits on most all components leaving little margin for changes. A 75lb box on the behind the bumper will cause significant twisting torque on the frame especially with on rough roads. I would not do that if it were my TT.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #4

As long as the box is narrow I do not see an issue, I would say not more than 10 inch's.

Any weight hanging over the rear of the bumper will add torque and could rip the bumper off.

I like this one

Lund Truck Tool Box New 288272 | eBay
Old 10-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #5

flybob,
I have a spare tire mounted to one side and thought about a small box mounted on the top of the bumper not to the back of it say 10x24x12 tall. I don't want to do anything stupid and break it
Old 10-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
There is a big difference between a "small aluminum box" used for the items you describe and the type of stuff that normally rips bumpers off (bike racks, generator racks, etc.). Proceed both cautiously and intelligently and you will most likely succeed.

Pictures of your exact setup would help but if it's built the same way they usually are, a small box placed on top of the bumper would be fine in my opinion. For quite some time that was my plan as well. Before I ever got around to it though, I decided I didn't need the additional storage space.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #7

all I know is it will support my 150lbs you have to stand on it to reach the ladder
Old 10-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
As long as the box is narrow I do not see an issue, I would say not more than 10 inch's.

Any weight hanging over the rear of the bumper will add torque and could rip the bumper off.

I like this one

Lund Truck Tool Box New 288272 | eBay

do you have one of those mounted to you bumper ??
Old 10-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
Always Learning

I can't speak to your bumper of the applicability of mounting stuff to it. I know multiple people who put a multi-bike attachment on them and drug it down them down the road.. BUT, that's not what you're asking for.

I know that I've read of Herk (here on FRF) who built a generator platform and scrapped it after the first time he used it out of concern for movement... this is closer to what you're asking.

Here's what I do, though:

Plastic storage box that holds some sewer stuff (5' piece of hose, elbow, wye, and 2 x 50' expandable hoses that I use for black tank flushes). It's held on with zip ties. And, I can't imagine it weighs much more than a couple of pounds.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #10

I put 150 lb generator on Coachman 5er back bumper successfully for several months and then the frame broke just behind the hangers on curb side . It ain;t just weight its wiggle , torque , and time !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:47 AM   #11

something like that but I would like aluminum if I can find one
Old 10-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Buyers Products has some nice smaller aluminum boxes.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
i have heard pros and cons about attaching things to the bumper some say they are just spot welded on and won't hold much, well i crawled under and looked the welder who attached mine musta had some time to kill because mine has a great welding job. Now i know it will hold my weight as i have to stand on it to get to the ladder a weight about 150lb.
I would like to attach a small aluminum box to hold my leveling blocks shore power cord etc. i'm thinking it might weigh 60 to 75 lbs including the box when loaded

thourghts ???
the 4Square SafetyStruts are made especially for supporting that bumper weld and making the bumper usable,.... the positive reviews for them are impressive(98% on Amazon plus the ones from FRF members),... the link below is a thread from just a few days ago and may be helpful, ......

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-118783.html

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #14

Bumper

I installed the Mount-N-Lock Safety Struts on my bumper to add strength and take stress off the bumper weld. They help prevent the rocking of the bumper. I then felt better about using my bumper bike rack. They were easy to install. Remember though in most cases if you mount something to your bumper and it tears off the bumper that is on you, not the warranty.
6.7 TD Super Crew
"Go Navy"
logspec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
flybob,
I have a spare tire mounted to one side and thought about a small box mounted on the top of the bumper not to the back of it say 10x24x12 tall. I don't want to do anything stupid and break it
What I can say with confidence. When I went on a factory tour for Rockwood, this question was asked, now there was 40 people on this tour. What was told us that if you remove the spare and do not add anymore weight then the spare that it would be okay. Per the Factory Rep ie: Service manager at the time. He also said to remove it and reinstall the spare before service. Now that was an HONEST answer IMO... PS: I have also drilled and bolted a 3/4" angle iron on the bottom of the two I-Beams (maybe wrong term) 4 bolts, also that bumper is solid welded not skipped welded on a Rockwood.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
I put 150 lb generator on Coachman 5er back bumper successfully for several months and then the frame broke just behind the hangers on curb side . It ain;t just weight its wiggle , torque , and time !

Did a structural or vehicle design engineer (independent) do a professional analysis and determine that your generator caused the frame failure or are you guessing?

Coachman uses cheaply made Lippert frames like just about everyone else, and they are known to sometimes fail for no apparent reason other than under engineering or bad welding. They are not used because they are the best thing since sliced bread, but because they (Lippert) are the lowest bidder. Have you ever had a professional welder take a look at the welds on Lippert's stuff ?, thats good for a few laughs. A quick web search will give you many examples where Lippert frames have failed and nothing was attached to the bumper.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Did a structural or vehicle design engineer (independent) do a professional analysis and determine that your generator caused the frame failure or are you guessing?

Coachman uses cheaply made Lippert frames like just about everyone else, and they are known to sometimes fail for no apparent reason other than under engineering or bad welding. They are not used because they are the best thing since sliced bread, but because they (Lippert) are the lowest bidder. Have you ever had a professional welder take a look at the welds on Lippert's stuff ?, thats good for a few laughs. A quick web search will give you many examples where Lippert frames have failed and nothing was attached to the bumper.
Mr. Havecamp, I do not disagree with you we all know Lippert. As I stated above you "DO NOT ADD MORE WEIGHT THEN THE SPARE TIRE" even with the spare you will have movement with that bumper. You might have less adding a box then a spare sitting on a rack 2' above the bumper. What is your thoughts on that? With all due respect.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Mr. Havecamp, I do not disagree with you we all know Lippert. As I stated above you "DO NOT ADD MORE WEIGHT THEN THE SPARE TIRE" even with the spare you will have movement with that bumper. You might have less adding a box then a spare sitting on a rack 2' above the bumper. What is your thoughts on that? With all due respect.

I hear ya.....My thoughts and past experience tells me that Lippert or anyone else can use many different attachment connections for bumpers ,and 4" tube bumpers come in different gauges. That being said these threads about bumpers are essentially a bunch of hogwash because no across the board statement can be made.. Always have been and always will be not only here but in any other RV forum. If a manufactured beam qualifies a trailer as "lightweight" then everything but the largest 5ers and T haulers are lightweight. Rolled members are hardly used anywhere anymore.

I have attached a bolt on receiver to 3 different hybrids and a popup and only reinfoced one of the hybrids.and the popup. No armageddon.

You have to look at every condition individually.

The warranty ramifications are manufacturer cya.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #19

Bumper

Not only is it in the owners manual but on my Rockwood 8329SS there is a sticker in the kitchen cabinet that specifically says not to install "anything" additional to the bumper. This will invalidate the warranty. That being said if you do you assume the risk. That's a choice we each have to make.
6.7 TD Super Crew
"Go Navy"
logspec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by logspec1 View Post
Not only is it in the owners manual but on my Rockwood 8329SS there is a sticker in the kitchen cabinet that specifically says not to install "anything" additional to the bumper. This will invalidate the warranty. That being said if you do you assume the risk. That's a choice we each have to make.
Key word "ANYTHING ADDITIONAL" That's why the factory said the spare has to come off and nothing heavier can be carried, they are covering there A##.... Wonder why I don't have that sticker? The frames are weak. 3 years ago I had the level up system installed in Goshen at the rally. They had to reinforce my frame so it could not twist. Lippert said they would never install that system on a Rockwood again. As far as I know they still have not....the next year at Goshen they had to add 12/12 gussets at my axles. Lippert told me that still have not installed that system on any Rockwood since. But they sold it to me so it was on them and they now own that frame...