Old 03-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #31

Pic Of The Finished Product When I Started This Thread

I have been using the fire starters out of this bag for two years now. I also have a fire ring at home and when we have our pool parties or cook outs we always have a fire. The can of wax that you see is one of three that I have collected. While we are camping, now and then we come across fellow campers that are having problems getting there fire started with a bunch of paper, I end up giving them a hand full of starters. The last time we were in Ocean City at Frontier Town they were selling Fire starter in there store for a buck a piece, the only difference between theres and mine is that theres is in a fancy white cup. As far as the egg carton, I can get the ones that hold 18 eggs, which makes production faster. I find this is the safest way with out using other fuels, you just need a match and they are safe to store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2208.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1416   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2211.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1417   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2210.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1418   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2209.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1419  

Old 03-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #32
Pickin' and singin' !

I always bought mine from Walmart for 50 cents each. They were the standard 7ounce size bars. Walmart does not appear to carry them this year. Now they have another brand that although is shaped a little different, they are still 7 ounces. And of course the new ones are 88 cents each. Imagine that.

Directv and DTV
The wife, kids and lots of Pepsi!/SIZE]
guysing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysing View Post
I always bought mine from Walmart for 50 cents each. They were the standard 7ounce size bars. Walmart does not appear to carry them this year. Now they have another brand that although is shaped a little different, they are still 7 ounces. And of course the new ones are 88 cents each. Imagine that.

I just weigh the one that I showed in the pic, it is 1 ounce it will burn for a while.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #34

I use a 3"x6" piece of cardboard rolled up and tied off with some string then drip into some old candle wax in about a hr can make enough to last the season
Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 AM   #35

Less is more in the case of FIRE. Say it together - FIRE! I thought this thread was about the jamboree contest where you light a fire with one match. You guys want big fire and want it NOW! Probably the most dangerous camping task (AFTER driving). This forum should consider more safety. I used to use Fatwood but got tired of spending $6 on a little box that burnt up too fast. I liked the waxed pinecones but I never get around to making them. I do have plenty of lint and alcohol. I get a quarter size ball of lint and get it damp with alcohol and build a little log cabin around it. Start small and add bigger kindling as i get higher. My 3" square log cabin lights any dry size you throw on. Garanteed one-match fire. Just be careful to put that little $0.95 bottle of alcohol away before you whip out the matches. If it spills thats OK - it evaporates unlike gasoline. Too risky burning fuel. I've done it all - this method is the cheepest. Costs less than a penny each light. Wax? Propane? Gas? Expensive. I refuse to handle gasoline. For my and my family's safety, it comes from the nozzle and goes in the gas tank. Period. I've melted plenty of gear with the hot tip of a torch on a cold nite in a rush to light what God had provided. BE SAFE! My job description requires me to fight fire and I just think some people can be a tad cavalier here. Small fire, strong gust, dry conditions, yeah we got those at the national park in NM, right?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:09 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo puppy View Post
Less is more in the case of FIRE. Say it together - FIRE! I thought this thread was about the jamboree contest where you light a fire with one match. You guys want big fire and want it NOW! Probably the most dangerous camping task (AFTER driving). This forum should consider more safety. I used to use Firewood but got tired of spending $6 on a little box that burnt up too fast. I liked the waxed pine cones but I never get around to making them. I do have plenty of lint and alcohol. I get a quarter size ball of lint and get it damp with alcohol and build a little log cabin around it. Start small and add bigger kindling as i get higher. My 3" square log cabin lights any dry size you throw on. Guaranteed one-match fire. Just be careful to put that little $0.95 bottle of alcohol away before you whip out the matches. If it spills that's OK - it evaporates unlike gasoline. Too risky burning fuel. I've done it all - this method is the cheapest. Costs less than a penny each light. Wax? Propane? Gas? Expensive. I refuse to handle gasoline. For my and my family's safety, it comes from the nozzle and goes in the gas tank. Period. I've melted plenty of gear with the hot tip of a torch on a cold nite in a rush to light what God had provided. BE SAFE! My job description requires me to fight fire and I just think some people can be a tad cavalier here. Small fire, strong gust, dry conditions, yeah we got those at the national park in NM, right?

Well, I see where you are coming from, safety is the main issue and I agree. The places where we camper is controlled by forest rangers and they post when it is safe or not to have a fire due to weather condition and it is strictly enforced.
As far as cost on making the type of fire starters that I have is cheap. I can get cardboard egg cartons free all day long and so can most other people If you know where to go, or when you buy eggs buy them in a cardboard cartons and save them. Egg cartons will end up just like used candles in the land fills, why not recycle them and put them to use. To melt the wax you can either use the stove or campfire. As far as saw dust or wood chips, I like making things out of wood so I save the stuff. The only thing that you are going to spend is your time to make them. They will not flare up and catch fire, they are water proof and the smell good if you use scented candles, and It is a one match lite. So I don't know how much safer it can be.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:03 PM   #37

I like the charcol idea , I use lamp oil to start the fire , it burns long enough to start the wood plus you still have your eye brows after you lit it ,
Old 09-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #38

These things are great

baileysonline.com
They are a jel type thing you set on top and light as it burns it runs down and catches everything on fire.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhomey View Post
baileysonline.com
They are a jel type thing you set on top and light as it burns it runs down and catches everything on fire.
One thing about the starters I make is that the cost is nothing after the initial purchase of a dozon eggs in a cardboard carton and as far as wax go's most people have old candles laying around and the wood chip you can go to any place that cuts wood and get free saw dust. You can get them from a neighbor that's working on a home project, as I did. I have a Wal-mart plastic bag full of saw dust. I have made over 1,000 starts out of the bag I have and still have enough to make more. We camp ever weekend and working on the same 1,000 for two years now, but getting ready to make more.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
One thing about the starters I make is that the cost is nothing after the initial purchase of a dozon eggs in a cardboard carton and as far as wax go's most people have old candles laying around and the wood chip you can go to any place that cuts wood and get free saw dust. You can get them from a neighbor that's working on a home project, as I did. I have a Wal-mart plastic bag full of saw dust. I have made over 1,000 starts out of the bag I have and still have enough to make more. We camp ever weekend and working on the same 1,000 for two years now, but getting ready to make more.
Oh by allmeans your method is great. But honestly I dont have the time to do it. I have two companies a two year old and a six month old. My spare time to do projects just doesnt exist anymore. I have a hard enough checking air pressure and cleaning the bugs off the front of the coach